Limp Mode is Turned On Causing the Pickup To Drop Rapidly

Thread Starter #1
Hello All,

I bought a Chevrolet optra magnum 2.0 diesel top end five months back. I usually go after power and comfort and I was stunned to ride the vehicle before my purchase and hooked up to it ever since. I never thought about the discontinuation of the model or the costlier spare parts as people claims.

Everything is going fine except for two issue that I'm currently facing. Can you please say something about the problems? I would much appreciate your help! So, it started all like this. I took it for a foam wash then took home and helped my brother with his driving skills. All of a sudden a slight smoke started coming out the bonnet near the viper and there was this burning smell of plastic too. I turned off the engine and brought a Mech home who was nearby. He checked the fan, compressor and all and said everything is good. He didn't even accept money for the check up.

The next day, I took it on the highway as I had to go to my hometown. I went between 100-160KMPH. And the ride was like a breeze :-)

After couple of hours, I noticed that the pick up dropped automatically. I parked it on the side of the road with no clue as what's happening. I started the engine after 15 mins and it worked well. The same problem repeated for every couple of hours making me cry for the pick so badly. All of a sudden I felt like I made a biggest mistake on the purchase (No not really lol). I felt the same on my way back home. One thing I noticed on my way back home was that the 'limp light/limp mode' was on whenever the pickup drops. I'm not really sure if I missed to see that before when the pickup went down. After reaching home, I read the manual and it said 'Engine malfunction. The system goes in limp mode to prevent any damage to the engine'

Usually I ride 12 KM up and down everyday. So, I believe the problem never showed up during the initial four months. That seemed the fact because when I came back home the limp light gone and the pickup became normal. I went to the Chevy showroom and explained it to service guys. They told me that it could be because of either a software problem or because the water drop could have entered the engine oil (foam wash?). He said there was a problem with the software and he corrected it as I went for a body work.

After couple of weeks, I took the vehicle on a long right on the same route believing the problem will not show up. But it started behaving the same way as it was before :-( Now, I'm back in home and the limp light is not going off even after 4 weeks. But the pick up is good.

I believe the limp mode should be triggered when the engine overheats after a VERY long run or under a hot climate. But that's the not the reason in my case. What's that really happening with my vehicle? I'm bother and worried to the core.

Can you guys please help me with the problem? Thanks a TON!

Try to get the list of errors using the OBD II adapter by connecting it to your mobile when ever the car goes in LIMP mode. You can use TORQUE application in Android mobiles. Im sure if the car goes in LIMP mode there might be some errors. Lets hope that there is not a serious issue.

Drive Safe !!!

Thread Starter #3
Try to get the list of errors using the OBD II adapter by connecting it to your mobile when ever the car goes in LIMP mode. You can use TORQUE application in Android mobiles. Im sure if the car goes in LIMP mode there might be some errors. Lets hope that there is not a serious issue.

Drive Safe !!!
Thanks! If I'm not wrong I need to buy OBD II adapter and then use it along with a Mobile pohone(app) to see the malfunction codes in the mobile screen right? What's the best and cheapest OBD II adapter that you came across?

Or go to a professional garage or ASS and scan for error codes. I am saying this because after you discover the error which is causing this limp mode, you will anyway have to take it to the garage/ASS.

Looks like a problem with the ECU. Did you get the battery changed recently?

Last edited:
Thread Starter #6
You can get OBD II ELM 327 Bluetooth adapter.

You can get it for Rs.600 in eBay.

I have sent you a PM regarding the link.
Thank you so much. I'm restricted to viewing message on this forum as I'm a newbie. But I got that in the notification email.

One novice question. What am I supposed to do after finding an error code? Go to the service center and explains them? I hope they use some sophisticated OBD already.

Or should I do a Google to search about that specific error code and get that fixed with the help of a local mech by checking/replacing a specific part? Thanks again!

Do not buy from Ebay. There are lot of clones available for this adapter.These cheap clones don't connect to Samsung,Motorola and other good phones.Experience.

Thank you so much. I'm restricted to viewing message on this forum as I'm a newbie. But I got that in the notification email.

One novice question. What am I supposed to do after finding an error code? Go to the service center and explains them? I hope they use some sophisticated OBD already.

Or should I do a Google to search about that specific error code and get that fixed with the help of a local mech by checking/replacing a specific part? Thanks again!
I don't see the point in buying an ELM just for checking. Go to the ASS and get it checked. I bought ELM for checking FE ,torque and engine parameters because I am interested in engines - it's just an academic interest for me. You can do nothing if you know what the fault code is. All you can do is assure yourself that the ASS is not cheating you when he claims some other fault.

Thread Starter #9
Thanks @rselva

I'm not satisfied with the service guy who told me that 'the error code is fixed' as I sent the car for body shop not for the usual service. I'm due for a service now. I'll try to explain them the problem and if possible I'll sit with them when they run a OBD to find the error. So, I was bothered as well as excited to know the error causing the limp mode to run on. Hope this is not something serious.

Any other thoughts about the problem? Is there a specific area in my car that I might need to check to make sure nothing is wrong in there?

I recently changed the engine oil at Shell and Coolant which costed me around 8K. So, I'm not really sure if there's something I need to check.

Top Bottom