Skoda Octavia: Technical Problems & Solutions

Thread Starter #1
Hello all, Namaste. This is my first post in Automotive India. Hoping for an answer.

Recently upgraded from Wagon 1.0 to Skoda Octavia 1.9 Tdi (done 1.2 Lakh km, 2007 model) because of the petrol expenses. I am loving the turbo aid and fantastic mileage the car is offering, except for a few niggles.

1. Early in the morning, when it's cold, there is a hiss,hiss,hiss noise under the hood. Feels like coming from the tyres, but it's actually from the engine bay. Sound is much similar to old hand pumps we used to inflate our bicycle tyres. Once engine heats up or car speeds up, the sound goes away.

2. The display showing the mileage in L/100 KM format. I don't like this personally, so tried to switch it with the stick given. But the stick won't go down. Later one day, fuel level came down to reserve and L/100 KM automatically changed to distance to empty. Now it won't change back to L/100 KM anymore. Is this normal? Or am I missing another button or lever to do this?

3. The most troublesome is the after market fitted (previous owner) SONY head unit won't turn off with the ignition. It keeps displaying its features even after long clicking the power/sourse/src button. Electrician says, this is normal in Skoda. Is that right?

4. The most frustrating of all is, I can't find a user manual to buy/download from internet. Available manuals are for the foreign variants (Left hand drive). Can anybody provide me a link to the Indian version of the manual?

Thanks for the help!

Re: Problems in Skoda Octavia 1.9 TDi 2007

1.hiss,hiss,hiss noise under the hood could be from some vacuum leak
2.don't have idea
3.could be some wiring fault
4.i will search for you

Thread Starter #3

Took the car to a Skoda mechanic. He says some speed sensor is gone and costs around 25000. If I don't buy and fit it now, the turbo will go kaput soon. Is this correct? Is there any speed sensor as such? The vehicle is sure not accelerating as a new car, but giving a decent mileage of 17.

4. The most frustrating of all is, I can't find a user manual to buy/download from internet. Available manuals are for the foreign variants (Left hand drive). Can anybody provide me a link to the Indian version of the manual?

Thanks for the help!
I don't know whether you found the user manual or not, but here's why I did when I was looking for user manual for Vento, you can write a email mentioning your requirement to customer care of Skoda and they will guide you further about how to get it from your nearest service center. I have collected mine from nearest VW service center free of cost.

Thread Starter #5

1. Early in the morning, when it's cold, there is a hiss,hiss,hiss noise under the hood. Feels like coming from the tyres, but it's actually from the engine bay. Sound is much similar to old hand pumps we used to inflate our bicycle tyres. Once engine heats up or car speeds up, the sound goes away.

2. The display showing the mileage in L/100 KM format. I don't like this personally, so tried to switch it with the stick given. But the stick won't go down. Later one day, fuel level came down to reserve and L/100 KM automatically changed to distance to empty. Now it won't change back to L/100 KM anymore. Is this normal? Or am I missing another button or lever to do this?

3. The most troublesome is the after market fitted (previous owner) SONY head unit won't turn off with the ignition. It keeps displaying its features even after long clicking the power/sourse/src button. Electrician says, this is normal in Skoda. Is that right?

Thanks for the help!
Thanks for the replies my fellow riders.

1. Figured out worn serpentine belt is causing the problem. Planning to replace later as mechanic said it can go for some more miles.
2. I am a noob [;)]. There's a button on the wash/viper stalk to change the display details like Mileage, Distance etc. Later figured it out accidentally. Resolved!
3. Found an electrician who resolved it by correctly connecting a misplaced wire. He said some ground wire is wrongly connected. Piece of cake for him, didn't charge anything for the work.
4. As of now, theautomotiveindia, team-bhp and briskoda.net are my user manuals[:D]

Thread Starter #6

As for the speed sensor, by reading forums and going through YouTube, I came to know that throttle position sensor and mass airflow sensor can be faulty and causing the low pickup. Right now, car is under painting work. I will try to clean both MAF and TPS once I get my hands on the car. Will post updates then.

As for the speed sensor, by reading forums and going through YouTube, I came to know that throttle position sensor and mass airflow sensor can be faulty and causing the low pickup. Right now, car is under painting work. I will try to clean both MAF and TPS once I get my hands on the car. Will post updates then.
The problem you have mentioned is most probably due to the mass airflow sensor. I had encountered the same with my Octavia. You can check whether it is due to the MAF sensor or not, it's very simple.
Just disconnect the MAF and take a small spin and if the car works fine then it's the MAF that is the culprit. I did the same and changed my MAF.
Secondly it's a very difficult to find a MAF sensor and a new one is very costly. So if your MAF is kaput then the best place to look for is the scrapyard/Junkyard (for cars) or talk to any particular mechanic at the skoda service center (if you have one around you), give him some money and tell him to arrange one for you. That's what I did;-)

Last edited:
Skoda octavia 1.9 tdi

My skoda octavia 1.9 tdi 2008 model is not giving mileage from some months as it was before(19-20kmpl). What could be the problem?

Octavia rider clutch sound issue

Hi
Guys I m new to this
I have Octavia rider 2005 it had completed 1.26 lakh kms since last 10 k kms sound is produced on applying clutch I hav a doubt should I replace it now or should I wait till the clutch fails completely
I even don't know what happens if clutch fails in running
I m feared to get my car for mechanic as I doubt thier skills
I m from mysuru can anyone help me by guiding like where I can get a good mechanic in mysuru..
One more problem my car doesn't stop quickly it takes more distance to stop I am thinking to change front discs and even the drum brakes should I replace drum brakes??
What would it cost if that so.

Hello all, Namaste. This is my first post in Automotive India. Hoping for an answer.

Recently upgraded from Wagon 1.0 to Skoda Octavia 1.9 Tdi (done 1.2 Lakh km, 2007 model) because of the petrol expenses. I am loving the turbo aid and fantastic mileage the car is offering, except for a few niggles.

Thanks for the help!
Points 2,3,4 are not subjective to my critical problems , any way Skoda is not related to Sony, the HU has two power supply, 1 for telling ignition is off so it turns off and display date or something, and when keys are removed the second supply is cut.
You can turn off the demo from HU settings,or long press power button when it's off.

Long press set button to switch from l`100 to kmpl.

Coming to the noise at startup, it's the belt or a bearing .
Check service technician, weather timing belt kit has been replaced or not, which should be done at 90k kms, if previous owner didnot do that , please do immediately.
And check ac , alternator belt, for any cracks, if so it need to be replaced. (Crack I'miinner part with line groove) .

Thanks

Hi
Guys I m new to this
I have Octavia rider 2005 it had completed 1.26 lakh kms since last 10 k kms sound is produced on applying clutch I hav a doubt should I replace it now or should I wait till the clutch fails completely
I even don't know what happens if clutch fails in running
I m feared to get my car for mechanic as I doubt thier skills
I m from mysuru can anyone help me by guiding like where I can get a good mechanic in mysuru..
One more problem my car doesn't stop quickly it takes more distance to stop I am thinking to change front discs and even the drum brakes should I replace drum brakes??
What would it cost if that so.

Hi, seems clutch release bearing is rusted so it feels hard to press and sound can also come, it better replace now so, you can save the 25k cost of burned flywheel. Which can be damaged by the worn clutch.
Kit will cost you 12k and 4k labour Max. I recommend to change new clutch kit.

For brakes I suggest for new OEM discs , pads(tvs) and flush and change brake fluid.
Drums are useless. It gives only 20 to 40% breaking. Better clean and check shoe thickness.

Last edited by a moderator:
Skoda Octavia 1.9 Tdi, low pick up and low Braking problem

Hello Expertise,

I own a skoda octavia 1.9 Tdi 2007 Model. I have a acceleration problem on 1st and 2nd gear. Car doesn't catch the pick up but do rave. And it to take efforts to reach speed of 110 kph, and car is not able to catch speed on 5th gear also. You can say 110 is top speed. And about Brakes, mechanic say Pads ore oky disk is fine, Braking system is good but he is like might be vacuum problem.

Work done on car-
1) Replace Clutch set
2) EGR Clean
3) Service done (all the filters changed)

Everyone's suggestions and experience are Welcomed

Top Bottom