Chevrolet Beat's Engine Throwing Oil Through Dipstick Tube (Back Pressure)

Thread Starter #1
This might be a long post, please bear with me.

I'll start from the beginning.

One rainy day my father managed to break the oil sump of our 2011 Chevrolet Beat Diesel AND drive the car 5 kms. after that. The engine just seized (I wish I was there at the time). The FNG mentioned various times in this post repaired it.

One fine day the "CHECK ENGINE" light lit up. Along with the complaint of reduced acceleration. My father didn't pay any heed to it. I told him it could be serious. But some research on the internet later, it appeared that if the light is just lit up and not flashing, there isn't much to be worried about. But then, the light even went away that evening. I told dad that we should STILL get it checked but he has a rather hectic schedule (Thanks Mahindra). Couldn't manage it.

Then it was identified as EGR blockage when I was in Pune (I said screw it, if it's lit up I'll get it checked myself and the guys told me that it's not serious. Told me to get it serviced. But of course that didn't happen). And that's about it in the past, many many days later (or 3-4 weeks ago) the Check Engine came on. And that evening when my father was coming home the car made a "whoosh" sound in motion.When we were out for something, and started the car, the "whoosh" sounds came at intermittent intervals.

I told my father that we might be in some serious trouble. What happened next proved that. The Maintenance Due light came on, the Check Engine light went off. Then as we cranked the car, we were engulfed in smoke. "WTF?" was my first thought. Apart from the "whoosh" sounds, the car ran fine. And at the next stop, I stood at the exhaust while my father cranked the car. That's when a big envelop of blue smoke engulfed me. After that, the smoke wasn't much.

I knew what that meant, while the Low Oil Pressure light came on. Sure enough the car was burning oil. The next day we drove to the ASC. They kept the car for 2 days and denied external warranty for various reasons. Then asked for a week. Week later, they offered us 2,000 rupees discount under "goodwill". Rest is history.

Let's just say I wish we and the ASC had parted as friends. But that is the least of my worries now. I got it towed to my FNG, he pinned it down the turbo. 13k down the drain, and now the car had started to throw oil through the oil pressure tube. The mech calls it "back-pressure".

He checked pretty much everything that was needed to, before opening up the engine. All this happened in the span of 2 weeks. He checked the PCV, the oil pump, but had no idea why this was happening. He's going to do it today. I believe that the piston rings are the culprit, unfortunately, so does the mechanic. Says they might have worn out when we "dove 5 kms. without oil." .

So coming to my query - I made this so he shouldn't scam us. What might be the price of piston rings? Any other things that might cause this? The car is only 50k km old.

Guys, I know I screwed up, I should have made my father maintain the car better, but all that is beyond reach now. Please advise about this.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Re: Chevrolet Beat's engine throwing oil through dipstick tube ("back pressure")

@Shrid:
In case it's back compression then you need to get everything checked thoroughly. I really doubt if piston rings will last really long in this case. Look for pistons replacement here, that lasts longer at least. Also important is to check the state of block itself. Let the block open and the true situation come in front of eyes, then only we can carry the discussion ahead.

BTW why not exchange this car for an another one?

Thread Starter #3
Re: Chevrolet Beat's engine throwing oil through dipstick tube ("back pressure")

@Shrid:
In case it's back compression then you need to get everything checked thoroughly. I really doubt if piston rings will last really long in this case. Look for pistons replacement here, that lasts longer at least. Also important is to check the state of block itself. Let the block open and the true situation come in front of eyes, then only we can carry the discussion ahead.
OK, this guy called some "experts" this evening. Let's see how it goes.

TSIVipul said:
BTW why not exchange this car for an another one?
Believe it or not, just before the problem we test drove the new Figo, and the Ford guys drove my car and offered 2,60,000 for it. Had this happened a month or so later...

But Figo's probably just delayed, not cancelled.

OK, this guy called some "experts" this evening. Let's see how it goes.
Check what experts have to say and go through all the possibilities along with the expected lifetime/mileage after the repair.

Believe it or not, just before the problem we test drove the new Figo, and the Ford guys drove my car and offered 2,60,000 for it. Had this happened a month or so later...

But Figo's probably just delayed, not cancelled.
In that case, get the cheapest possible repair done and go for the Figo. It is one gem of a car which offers brilliant drivability as well as performance too.

Thread Starter #5
I'm sorry, I totally forgot about this thread.

We replaced the pistons, valves, oil pump, and some other (pretty expensive) stuff. Total expenses = 59,000. Car's running fine now, but my mother won't have any of it. She wants us to just sell it off. So do I. Father is saying that we'll wait a week or two so we know nothing is wrong with the car, and that it'll fetch good value from the Ford dealer.

Thanks.

Top Bottom