Why Brake Assist / Hill Assist / Traction Control Not in MT Cars?

Thread Starter #1
Technologies like Electronic Brake Assist , Hill Launch Assist and Traction control System only available in Automatic Transmission cars . Why ? I checked with some car models but all have this features only on Automatic Transmission . (Ex: Ford Figo Aspire )

Is there a reason for this ?Is there is any car with manual transmission have this future ?

Re: Why this 3 life saving technologies not available in Manual Transmission cars ?

Simple- manufacturers expect you to work for your convenience. So, it may be quite cheap to add in these technologies. But if the give them in the run of the mill models, why would anyone go for their premium models? Hence not provided in lower trims. So its either you cough up the additional cash for these features or you replicate them yourselves in driving

Ameyam

Re: Why this 3 life saving technologies not available in Manual Transmission cars ?

Technologies like Electronic Brake Assist , Hill Launch Assist and Traction control System only available in Automatic Transmission cars . Why ? I checked with some car models but all have this features only on Automatic Transmission . (Ex: Ford Figo Aspire )

Is there a reason for this ?Is there is any car with manual transmission have this future ?
Well you cannot use clutch or gearing to control braking acceleration in an automatic so for obvious reason the ABS is compulsory.

Another truth is its better you dont have ABS in (some cases) cheap cars because the truth is your better off with good tires with right tire pressure than having a sub standard ABS which looses brake pressure or the ones which brake fails/skips over tiny potholes.So last thing you want on a cost cut car is a cost cut ABS which cant maintain brake pressure in emergency situations. This is my personal view atleast on Indian roads.
And what "Ameyan" said above is also true to a certain extent.

ABS & EBD are there on quite a few manual gear cars.Hill assist is there on XUV500 manual i guess,traction control not aware of any basic manual gearbox cars having them,wont be necessary unless your car is 0-100 under 7 secs types .Or stupid enough to wheel spin your tires through a sharp corner.

Last edited:

Technologies like Electronic Brake Assist , Hill Launch Assist and Traction control System only available in Automatic Transmission cars . Why ? ?
None of these are available in Nano, Alto, Celerio automatic [;)]. As technologies matures and cost comes down, they will trickle down to lower variants too. There was a time when power steering and power brakes were available only in high end models- today they are common in even low end cars.

Thread Starter #5

I am not taking about top and low variant. About Transmission.

That is Ford Figo Aspire top variant with manual transmission dont have the above features, but the top variant with automatic transmission have this features.

I checked with other car manufacturering companies. They also have only on automatic transmission but not in manual transmission even in top variant.

My question is there is any technical restriction that only automatic transmission able to support this technologies?

bhvm

Honoured Member

Mahindra xuv 500 comes with hill control, traction control and rollover mitigation. mine is manual, 2 wd. these work very well.

I'm thankful that the first option- auto brakes or anti collision Assistant are NOT present in Indian cars. the conditions here are intense enough to confuse that system to wits end. one would easily get rear ended when auto brakes steps in during dense traffic. and the habit of mainianing a few mm gap between cars certainly doesn't Help.

I saw an episode on 'top gear'. the system is certainly immature yet.

else, the experts above have already.answered in detail. it's kind of like the airbag case on economy cars. what's an airbag to do when the entire body shell is weak enough to squish like a bug?

I am not taking about top and low variant. About Transmission............
My question is there is any technical restriction that only automatic transmission able to support this technologies?
No,there is no technical restrictions.

Top Bottom