Maruti Ertiga VDI ECM Issue?

Thread Starter #1
Hi Petrol heads,

We bought ertiga VDI 19th sept (last week). right from the first highway drive I was feeling that there is some issue with the car as car is jumping in forward direction in between ~70-100 speed. to conform this, I have taken a ride to ORR hyderabad. on the plain road in between 70- 100, car is really jumping in forward direction and taking ages to reach 100.

I have raised a complaint on the same at Varun motors, nanakram guda Hyderabad (where i bought the car). They have also acknowledged the same. they have also said that there is some with pickup.

the following are the operations they have performed(as per them)
1. checked all the parameters from their laptop. - All are good it seems
2. replaced the turbo and checked. Still the issue exists.
3. Now they say its fault with ECM and that need to be replaced.

so my question is for a 2 day (200kms) old car, if this issue comes,
a. can i ask for a new car?
b. is this issue is common?
c. is this really ECM issue or could this be any other issue? (no belief on these guys these days )
Please through some light on this as i am little depressed with this incident.

Many thanks
Vijay Bhargav

Last edited:
Re: Ertiga VDI ECM issue?

I dont think they will replace the car. [cry]

They might try to update the ECU with any new updation and check it.

Try to mail your concern to the customer support of Maruti.

They will not replace the whole car for a new one, but ask for ECU replacement under claiming Warranty.

No, they wouldn't give a new car.
The time to reach 100 kmph can be set right by fiddling with the ECU , but I am not sure how 'jumping forward' (It fact can you elaborate on this? Does the car literally jumps a few cm ?) can be set right by ECU.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #5

No, they wouldn't give a new car.
The time to reach 100 kmph can be set right by fiddling with the ECU , but I am not sure how 'jumping forward' (It fact can you elaborate on this? Does the car literally jumps a few cm ?) can be set right by ECU.
"Jumping forward" IMO is car when reached around 70 kms is trying to jump forward (Like its giving jerks in forward direction as of something is holding it and releasing it.)

and its really disappointing that good car like ertiga gave this issue on 2nd day of purchase [anger]

Thanks all for replies. I will update once i receive any info from showroom.

Thread Starter #6

Update : Got an update from showroom guys. Its because of faulty ECM it seems. they have fitted test ride vehicle`s ECM and checked. I also drove. there is huge difference before and after....

but again there is no availability of new ECM. they asked for 3 more days. will have to wait and see.

In the mean while, Is there any way to conform if it is because of ECM? I dont believe these service center guys. could there be some problem with engine / or any major part but they are blamming ecm? (stupid thoughts but :D)

I want to cross check all the diagnosis from maruthi guys. please help the process.

In the mean while, Is there any way to conform if it is because of ECM? I dont believe these service center guys. could there be some problem with engine / or any major part but they are blamming ecm? (stupid thoughts but :D)
The anxiety of a brand new car, going haywire is surely a tough situation. But I would say just keep cool about it. This sounds only like an ECM problem, since they already swapped with another ECM and the car runs perfectly fine and you saw it for yourself.

I would say grab this opportunity to make them commit on an extended warranty or so (if possible [:D]), and enjoy your beautiful car for the rest of your journey. I've recently purchased a car from Hyundai and that has it's fare share of out-of-the-box defective parts too. So, this is all part of the deal.

"Jumping forward" IMO is car when reached around 70 kms is trying to jump forward (Like its giving jerks in forward direction as of something is holding it and releasing it.)

and its really disappointing that good car like ertiga gave this issue on 2nd day of purchase [anger]

Thanks all for replies. I will update once i receive any info from showroom.
Hello Bhargav,

Welcome to TheAutomotiveIndia.com,

Congrats for the new acquisiton, however to come straight to the Topic, if the car is running fine with other ECM, ask MS to replace everything to get it done under warranty, make them only to Test Drive with you sitting and do not pay a single penny from your pocket. If the problem persists, then you can claim for a replacement.

You will shortly get a call from Head office asking about the performance about your car, please do let them know about the issue you faced.

P.S do not install any acceossry until they settle this issue, as the car is very new, people will be ready to catch of even one tiny reason to cancel the warranty or deny just for the sake.

Update : Got an update from showroom guys. Its because of faulty ECM it seems. they have fitted test ride vehicle`s ECM and checked. I also drove. there is huge difference before and after....
Demo car ECU is tuned for performance and the mapping is different from stock units. After getting the new ECU, Check thoroughly at different speeds and rev ranges.

Demo car ECU is tuned for performance and the mapping is different from stock units. After getting the new ECU, Check thoroughly at different speeds and rev ranges.
This is a news for me[surprise] why does the company do so? If this is the case and if people come to know about these tactics, they won't mind asking the new yet-deliver cars for a test drive!

This is a news for me[surprise] why does the company do so? If this is the case and if people come to know about these tactics, they won't mind asking the new yet-deliver cars for a test drive!
That's never done, no dealer tunes the test drive vehicle to a better state to impress people - maximum possible is that they load the vehicle with possible accessory enhancements. I would only expect and experience suggests that test drive vehicles can be only in a worse state than its brand new avatars (Unless the brand new one happened to be a lemon). If they knew these kind of tricks, they would have solved a couple of my real world problems [lol]

That's never done, no dealer tunes the test drive vehicle to a better state to impress people - maximum possible is that they load the vehicle with possible accessory enhancements. I would only expect and experience suggests that test drive vehicles can be only in a worse state than its brand new avatars (Unless the brand new one happened to be a lemon). If they knew these kind of tricks, they would have solved a couple of my real world problems [lol]
Exactly! because doing such practices is very unethical where many dealers are submerged doing it where we shouldn't be surprised or forced not to be surprised, anyway let's not hijack this thread going offtopic

Last edited:

@ Vishwas This is a news for me why does the company do so?
@roby That's never done, no dealer tunes the test drive vehicle to a better state to impress people - maximum possible is that they load the vehicle with possible accessory enhancements.
@ Vishwas Exactly! because doing such practices is very unethical where many dealers are submerged doing it
According to my friend who knows the dealership owner (everyone knows the dealer - it is 'p******' :-)), demo vehicles have ECU remapped for performance to enhance test drive power (the fuel efficiency of course goes down). IT IS NOT DONE BY DEALER. It is just a software profile upload via OBD port. NOTE: This info was given to me in some unrelated matter way back.
According to him, if you have ELM mini and can test demo vehicle parameters by connecting it to OBD port and stock car of the same model, you can find the difference.

Last edited:

Has the problem with your car been solved with the change of the ecu? Was a little curious, just wanted to know whether the car use to emit white smoke during the jerks?

His seems to be ECU problem - not the more common dirty fuel or Ertiga's notorious wastegate solenoid problem. For some odd reason, his earlier ECU seems to be mapped to speed governor profile, which is perhaps why he experienced "something holding and releasing " at speed above 70 kmph, which indicates ECU trying to control the fuel injection.
A wastegate solenoid problem would have brought down the speed drastically and is easily detected with it's now notorious P0243 error code showing up in OBD diagnostics.

Top Bottom