Air Intake Pipe - Rattling Noise

Thread Starter #1
I have Indica Vista Safire (Petrol)... Yeah one of the sh***** car ever made [frustration]. It has a 1.2L Safire petrol engine (Sourced from FIAT).

The car makes really bad noise during hard acceleration. I had to live with it for an year when finally one Tata mechanic found out the real cause. See attached picture. The joint between the Air Intake Pipe and Air Filter makes this irritating noise.

The great Tata service men tried to fix it by
1. Properly fitting the pipe... Worked well for some time and the noise came back).
2. Improperly fitting the pipe [:D] (The pipe was fitted in a bit tilted position so that there was some gap left along 1/3rd of the circumference.) This seemed to solve the problem and somehow I started getting better fuel economy (Might also be due to some other factors).
3. Replacing the pipe to no avail. (Even though the old pipe was perfectly fine in size and shape)

Things were all right till the time I got the car serviced again. The mechanic in the other service center said that dirt can get into the engine through that gap so he tried to fix the pipe again and messed up with it (Even though the gap is before the Air Filter).
Now my car is back to making that irritating noise.

One of the Tata service center guy told me that it is OK to completely remove that air intake filter.

I am really not sure what exactly should be done. I don't trust Tata mechanics anymore and I am thinking of fixing this issue on my own (Since this particular assembly is very simple).

Right now I am thinking of keeping a gap between the pipe and filter and seal it from outside by simple electric tape (Hoping that there are no tape melting issues).

Other option is to remove the pipe completely.

My question is what exactly does that pipe do? Does it also have some dust collection filter inside it (That rubber/plastic hose section on left of the read square I have drawn in the attached picture.)?
Even if I remove the pipe there will still be a hole for engine to take the air.

Sorry If my question sounds completely idiotic.

Attachments

Last edited:
Have you checked the roll on clips as well as the lock on clip attatched on the air filter box, are they gone loose which also can make noise.

Thread Starter #3
Have you checked the roll on clips as well as the lock on clip attatched on the air filter box, are they gone loose which also can make noise.
Thanks VJ for the reply. The noise is just too big to be from roll on clips. Still I will check'em today.

Hi,

do not remove the pipe, the pipe helps the engine to get fresh cold air from the front of the car (frill section), removing it will lead to the engine sucking in hot air from inside engine bay, leading to drop in power and efficiency.

Probably you can find a longer rubber hose that can eliminate the front plastic piece completely.
Or you can also try to use a tube piece of any vehicle in between the 2plastics. Taping on top wont last even a week, heat wont be a problem for that tape, the tape in general will expand due to heat & vibrations and will only attract more dust due to the gum it has.

All the best.

Anand

Thread Starter #5
Hi,

do not remove the pipe, the pipe helps the engine to get fresh cold air from the front of the car (frill section), removing it will lead to the engine sucking in hot air from inside engine bay, leading to drop in power and efficiency.

Probably you can find a longer rubber hose that can eliminate the front plastic piece completely.
Or you can also try to use a tube piece of any vehicle in between the 2plastics. Taping on top wont last even a week, heat wont be a problem for that tape, the tape in general will expand due to heat & vibrations and will only attract more dust due to the gum it has.

All the best.

Anand
Wow... Thanks so much...I am sure one of these will fix it. Thanks again.

Top Bottom