Maruti Zen Starting Behaviour Issue

Thread Starter #1
Since last week, my 2002 Zen giving peculiar problem. At start of day, its running fine for 2,3 kms, abruptly coming to halt and wont start for 10-15 mins. After this gap its getting started with single self. This has happened four times in last 7 days. Earlier thought its battery issue( old one was 4+ yrs old), so I replaced the battery but problem persists. All lights and indications are fine when I on the ignition. Any idea what else can be checked before taking it to mech.?

Re: zen starting behaviour

I am not an expert in this but probably this may be due to overheating. Have you checked the coolant levels?. Please be careful and follow the safety instructions given in the user manual/coolant lid while checking the same.

Thread Starter #3
Took it to my regular mechanic. Problem zeroed down on alternator. It was not recharging the battery while car is running. Had to shell out 1100/- for repair + 100/- for recharging my new drained battery. [:)] .

Since last week, my 2002 Zen giving peculiar problem. At start of day, its running fine for 2,3 kms, abruptly coming to halt and wont start for 10-15 mins. After this gap its getting started with single self. This has happened four times in last 7 days. Earlier thought its battery issue( old one was 4+ yrs old), so I replaced the battery but problem persists. All lights and indications are fine when I on the ignition. Any idea what else can be checked before taking it to mech.?
If that is an MPFI model check for the failed sensors in the air intake and another problematic thing called oxygen sensor near the exhaust.
Another thing to watch out is keep the car in idle and turn on headlights ac and evn the hazards or whatever electricals you can, Look for tell-tale vibration and engine rpm variations, if that happens check those alternator diodes and brushes.
When was the last time the silencer is checked for choke up. Once heated it works but when cold the choked up exhaust can act weird.
The the easy ones like PCV valve and spark plug connectors.

well nice to know the problem is solved But answered this old thread on seeing it, because these are most of the time the only issues with this car and well just to add the top bushes on the shocks/sturts or whatever you call it, gets saggy and can result in steering becoming a little odd to handle.

Last edited:

Top Bottom