Tata Sierra Engine Swap Queries

Thread Starter #1
Hi Guys

Most of you know that i own a TATA SIERRA Manufactured in 98 which has a Non aspirated engine and it doesn't stand a chance when it comes to present day emission norms. hence my question.

lately i was thinking of buying a new engine from TATA say 3ltr dicor engine on the Xenon with wiring and ECM or 2.2 ltr Dicor with ECM and Wiring.

Now if i do this will the R.T.O consider my vehicle as BS IV compliant. if yes then is it worth doin it or is it better to go for a new car.

i always wanted sierra and wish to keep the sierra, however whomsoever i have discussed this matter has suggested me to go for a new car.

that's the reason i'm starting this new thread so that people here can drill some sense into me. i.e if i'm talking non sense.

loosing sierra would be a heartbreaking experience for me hence all these question.

i have on many occasions thought about it. and felt that let me keep this car. but the people from the family are like you cannot keep this car till eternity at some point you need to change it.

so guys please help me to solve the confusion i have.

Re: Engine SWAP Through the manufacturer

Going for a new engine will cost you a lot. You can opt for a second hand engine from junk yards,which may make your project financially feasible.In another thought, I would suggest you to keep the Sierra as it is,in stock and look for a used Safari for any new project. Don't go by what others say.Just go by your heart.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #3
Re: Engine SWAP Through the manufacturer

@general max if i buy the engine from the scrap it cannot be endorsed on RC, my main goal for purchase of new engine through manufacturer is to have it endorsed on RC that it is a BS IV Compliant so that in future it will not have problems entering metros.

@Incarnation:
Try to get a 2.0 TCIC engine if possible. And yes, be sure about the mounting points if the new engine will fit on the mounting points on the chassis else you will have to do the mods on the chassis too.

BTW there is the member ilango, I am sure he will help on this one (in fact I guess no one can do as good as him). Just try to get in touch with him and all your queries are solved.

Thread Starter #5
Thanks Vipul Bhai yeah i have gone through his sierra thread as well as the mod that he had done on the sierra will surely get in touch. Thanks a Ton

2.0 TCIC is not BS IV compliant as much as i know please shed some light in this area.

Then check with 3.0 or 2.2, maybe they are sharing the mounting points because the chassis on which 2.0 was mounted was the same which got 3.0 and 2.2 on a later stage. What you need to take care is that your clutch life may reduce because of a higher power and torque it will have to deal with.
Better option; engine swap with clutch replacement. Gearbox you can source from some Sierra turbo or the Sierra N/A and turbo had the same?

Thread Starter #7
yep they both had the same gearbox. however i started this thread keeping in mind the same if you read my first post it was whether 2.2 or 3 ltr engine however i wanted to know whether if i go for new engines will the RTO approve my vehicle as BS IV compliant or will this expense go down the drain is my primary question. if they approve what would be the cost involved. and if the cost involved goes up north is it wise to opt for a new vehicle. these are my doubts or dilemma.

Saarji let me ask a question that will answer all your queries:

Is it the engine or entire vehicle which drinks the fuel and emits pollutants?

Go to the RTO office, what's the better place to clear all your doubts in this regard?

Thread Starter #9
the engine is fine as if now no back compression whatsoever. its clocked 2,36,000 and is still fit and fine mechanically. its only these rules that have come into the picture that forced me to think in this direction. its a 17 years old car. RC is valid till 2018 i need not worry till then. however as in the metros you cant enter with this vehicle as per the new RTO rules. Thats when i and my family members started thinking in this direction.

the engine is fine as if now no back compression whatsoever. its clocked 2,36,000 and is still fit and fine mechanically. its only these rules that have come into the picture that forced me to think in this direction. its a 17 years old car. RC is valid till 2018 i need not worry till then. however as in the metros you cant enter with this vehicle as per the new RTO rules. Thats when i and my family members started thinking in this direction.
Err saarji...

It's the engine which has to comply with emission norms. Hence changing the engine will do; given that the RTO doesn't cause any problems.

I suggest you to visit the RTO office for seeking the answer to all your questions.

Thread Starter #11
yeah thats what even i have thought let me ask whether an old engine will do or is it required that it should be a brand new engine. i am going to the R.T.O tomorrow to clear this doubt will update once i get the answer.[:)]

Thread Starter #12
Thanks for the input bro. it has been my dream car since childhood so giving it away is a heartbbreaking decision so just trying to work out every option before going on to make the ultimate decision.

1998 there were NA as well as turbos both. Mine is a NA not 90 horses. i am concerned only for the emission norm so first will inquire with the R.T.O then with the T.A.S.S. as for the engine of my car it still up and running without any hiccups.

Last edited by a moderator:
I dont think its possible to buy off the shelf engine in india? No manufacturer sells engines seperatley i guess. All you can do is get a decent engine from a scrap car and fit it.

i guess same TATA Motors wont sell engines separately but only they sell brand new engines in case of engine failures in purticular cars but if u wanna really what to keep your sierra few more decades just search for a 3.0L CR4 engine its really fits pretty well in sierra you no need to worry about wiring because 3.0L CR4 engine is avalable in TATA 207 RX pickup truck and we all know that both tata 207 and sierra shares same parts

or else find good 3.0L Dicor engine with gearbox

keep go ahead sir this project will be pretty good valuable project for car like sierra dont loose ur car

Thread Starter #15
@GBR yeah don't want to loose my sierra. however asked the R.T.O and got to know
1. that the endorsement of engine swap with the new engine No. will be done only if it is a brand new engine and not a second hand bought from the scrap market.
2. Even if the engine is new the R.C. will be done taking into account the original Registration Date when the vehicle was bought New( i.e 1998)
3. yes the car if swapped with a new Engine will be considered as BSIV or BSIII depending on the engine that has been installed.

This is the info from the R.T.O as if now. will be discussing further on this ground with family and friends before coming up with something concrete.

Top Bottom