Tata Indigo GLX Radiator Change?

Thread Starter #1
Hi,

I have a tata indigo GLX 2004 model. i am continually facing over heating issues from last 2-3 years. sometime coolant gets empty, sometimes coolant comes out. recently i found that some white smoke is coming out from the bonnet and on close inspection i found that coolant was coming out again.

my local mechanic told that radiator has gone bad(its 2004 model, so 11 years old, good time to change radiator) so he replaced the radiator. then on opening fan he found that fan was not able to move freely and it was very hard. so he changed fan motors as well.

my question is 11 years are good to replace a radiator? what kind of radiator problem we can have after 10-11 years? is radiator life is around 10-12 years only?

Akash1886

Honoured Member
Re: Radiator change?

Hi,

I have a tata indigo GLX 2004 model. i am continually facing over heating issues from last 2-3 years. sometime coolant gets empty, sometimes coolant comes out.
my local mechanic told that radiator has gone bad(its 2004 model, so 11 years old, good time to change radiator) so he replaced the radiator. then on opening fan he found that fan was not able to move freely and it was very hard. so he changed fan motors as well.

my question is 11 years are good to replace a radiator? what kind of radiator problem we can have after 10-11 years? is radiator life is around 10-12 years only?
Hardik hi, welcome aboard The Automotive India. Pleasure to have you with us buddy. I have faced same situation with my 9 year old single owner Maruti Esteem too. In early 2014, my car's radiator developed a leakage though a minor one and was seen at a service at ASC. So my uncle suggested me to replace the same as it had lived its life as per him. Once replaced since then no issues have come up so I do agree that when a machine specially a car gets pretty old these are unavoidable issues. As of the fan, recently the fan got burst about a 20 days or so back. My car was on verge of catching fire due to it but luckily we noticed it and got the same replaced. So, these earlier generation cars do show signs of ageing after 10 or more years and yes depending on maintenance the part's life is determined. In your case, you have taken good care of the car since you bought hence, its normal to have such wear and tear after a decade of driving plus if I am not wrong, your's is a pre-owned one so even more chances are there that previously it wasn't paid the much needed attention.

Regards

Akash

allhyundaicars

Honoured Member
Re: Radiator change?

You yourself said the fan motor was not working properly , it will cause the car to overheat and yes at this time it's good to replace the radiator.

There is rusting hose clamps plus corrosion plus all the dirt that has accumulated inside won't let the coolant move freely and efficiently so again it will overheat the car.

It's not a problem and it's good that you replaced it. Another thing to check is the thermostat valve. If you have already got all the work done and no overheating problem , leave it like that or else get it checked.

Thread Starter #4
thanks @allhyundaicars and @Akash1886.

regarding thermostat switch, i got it installed around 5 years back. i am the third owner of my car, when i purchased car i found that radiator fan was always used to stay on. when i took it to service, service advisor told me that fan was directly connected to the battery bypassing thermostat switch. so they installed it.

after i changed radiator and fan motor, have not observed any overheating(finger crossed) although the fan motor is a local one, so when it starts, i feel vibrations in the car. any solutions for it?

Top Bottom