Car AC Not Blowing at Expected Levels

Thread Starter #1
I think the header would be little confusing. What I wanted to convey is that I have been using my car for over 2 years. Now whenever I get service done (includes Washing and AC filter change) the amount of air blowing into cabin at a given speed is good enough.

Now after couple of months this amount of air blowing into cabin continuously drops. Hence at later stages I need to be at Speed 3 to get same amount of air that I used to get at Speed 2 just after service. Not sure how can I take care of it. I think few area which I cna try is:

1. Get pressure wash done every few weeks, this will clear any dust in front grill if that the issue. However I doubt this.

2. Get AC filter's out and clean them. Can we do so and if yes can we clean with Water? Also How can I reach to filter in Wagon R, can't seem to locate it.

Any other ideas?

Hi,

no point in cleaning the front grille to have more air coming out of the aircon. No connection there

TO get more air, you need to service your cabin filter. What I suggest is to simply take the filter out and vacuum it out using the suction. Use the brush attachment on a household vacuum for this. Then flip the filter over and blow it out with the blower feature on your household vacuum. Thats about all you can do

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2mG8b9SZcZ0

Ameyam

allhyundaicars

Honoured Member
It's not the ac filter or any other filter. It's clogged cooling / evap coil of your car. In my santro it's easily accesible so a not so high pressure water cleaned it. This is known as half ac service in which they clean the evap and refill gas.

In full ac service they open the dashboard and take out the evap coil and clean it and vacuum all the gas and refill.

So i recommend getting full ac service at least once in every 24 months.

Check the image below of my santro's evap coil. If you come to delhi i can recommend a good shop from wherei get my car ac servcied.

Attachments

Last edited:
Thread Starter #4
Thanks for the inputs guys, looks like both possibility could be fact. I will try out both of them this weekend to see if they can work.

I don't think however that this is an AC service issue as it often happens and as I get done with normal service (where I always replace cabin filter) things start working normally.

Also I keep visiting Delhi so let me know which service center you are recommending for AC so that I make use of it when I travel next to delhi

@ameyam can you help me with, how do I get hold of cabin filter to take further action, I mean specifically for Wagon R?

allhyundaicars

Honoured Member
I am not sure if wagonR has a cabin air filter. I might be wrong though.

The shop's name is ahmed car AC. He has fixed prices and i think i paid 2000 or 2500rs for my santro for full AC service. ie removing the dashboard , compressor oil , cleaning of cooling coil , cleaning of radiator and refill of gas.

Just search on google ahmed car ac roop nagar delhi and you will get all the contact information.

@envynicky,

the link I posted has the method to do it. Basically you take off the parcel tray and there is a cover behind it. Remove that and the filter will be visible

All cars have cabin filters. you just need to know where to get to them. Only, MS doesn't give the filter with the car but has you buy one at 1st service. Others give the filter with the car

Ameyam

All cars will have the filter. The evaporator coil will get thoroughly fouled otherwise. Most of us don't know its there because we aren't susceptible to it being clogged. I am asthmatic, so I need to know and keep things clean

Ameyam

Thread Starter #9
Thanks for the input guys, I know it's there for sure in Wagon R as I have got it changed in every service, it's just that I have not located it yet, will give it a shot today. As @ameyam rightly pointed out MS does not give cabin filter during sale while on service on can get it placed. The simple way to check it when you start AC in morning if you see some dust coming into car cabin, filter is not there. once filter is there, this effect would be almost negligible

I am not sure if wagonR has a cabin air filter. I might be wrong though.

ation.
I think small cars dont have cabin filter, i think people confuse engine air filter with cabin filter. I earlier thought engine filter as ac filter till my mechanic told me what it was.

Regarding ac problems it is better to visit ac mechanic than the service centre, envyvivky

Last edited:
No. Everything from your household AC to your vacuum cleaner has a filter. Its there to protect the stuff inside

Also, dont think having a filter reduces the duct in the cabin. I am using the stock filter in my Swift and its just pathetic. There is always some dust on my panels, no matter how much I clean the filter. I havent as yet found a better solution though

Ameyam

allhyundaicars

Honoured Member
I think small cars dont have cabin filter, i think people confuse engine air filter with cabin filter. I earlier thought engine filter as ac filter till my mechanic told me what it was.

Regarding ac problems it is better to visit ac mechanic than the service centre, envyvivky
Yeah this is what i thought. I got my santro drycleaned today and i asked him to clean the cabin air filter if there is. He said he can't and all the ac gas will come out. Well he was talking about the evap coil and thought i didn't know about it.

Ameyam-- i saw some videos it says the ac filter is behind the glove box, the engine air filter is under the bonnet.. But both looks like the same.
I once read about using high quality ac filters for clean air, but it mentioned it was only in sedans and above. I thought my spark did not had one .

I always use recirculation mode , i dont remember changing ac filter. I looked my old service bills but found nothing...Does this mean iam having a dirty one. Also these filters cannot be cleaned like home ac filters i think.

Chevolet,

Your car should have a cabin filter. No, i am not confusing the cabin & engine filters.

And my Swift is a hatchback, not a sedan

Stock filters are cheap, typically under Rs 300. So you may have changed one in the past without realizing ar service. They should be MERV3 or something, so use & throw away. Cant be cleaned by normal means when dirty but you can keep them fairly clean by the means as described by me above every now & then

Ameyam

Top Bottom