Maruti Alto: Gear Stick Gone Loose

Thread Starter #1
I have a 2008 Maruti Alto LXi model with 65k kms usage, which I purchased second hand.

Yesterday night, while I was parking my vehicle in my apartment parking lot, I went a bit too far forward and had to reverse a bit. I felt that the gear stick was a bit stiff and was offering some resistance, a known issue which was happening for some time. I applied some pressure and set the gear to ‘reverse’. I felt some kind of snap sound. After setting the gear I found that the gear stick had come loose and the car was stuck in reverse mode. Despite applying the clutch or releasing it, the behaviour of the gear stick was the same. It is still loose now and I cannot change gears. I cannot drive it to the nearest service station. I will have to call the repair guy and ask him to tow the vehicle. Can anybody tell me why is it happening? Is it something I can fix at home? If I have to get it repaired, then what will be the level of expenditure involved? I am afraid that it will cost me a lot. Please help.

I believe it could be either a broken gearshift mounting or a snapped cable. Please test this: Does the shifter lift up out of place when you pull it upwards?

Double clutching solves most alto gear issues. Actually it is applicable for all cars. During normal driving it is very difficult to double clutch. But during 1st and Reverse, you are mostly at halt. So just press the clutch 2 times or more to align the gear system properly, then put the gear.

Top Bottom