6 / 7 Speed Automatic vs Manual Transmission

Thread Starter #1
We all know Indians always love high fuel efficiency. I would like to know about the fuel efficiency part alone in comparison to automatic vs manual transmission cars. It's said that a 6/7 speed automatic gives a similar or better fuel efficiency to a manual transmission counterpart. How much this is true in Indian roads. Today even 9 speed automatic is available in the country and 7 speed automatic is available from our hatchbacks(gt tsi). It has already become a pain to drive in bumper to bumper traffic roads in India and more people are changing to automatics. So how do you evaluate this comparison. Let's know your views below.

bhvm

Honoured Member
Re: 6/7 speed automatic vs manual transmission

Dear,
Its firstly important to know what TYPE of auto Transmission you're talking about.

Torque Converter- Oldest Type. Very Famous in the US (where petrol is cheap as water). Worst fuel efficiency. Worst Performance (Often compensated by over-sized Engines)

CVT (Belt driven)- Gives a strange Feel when driving (Rubberband effect). Infinitely variable ratios. Much Better FE than Torque converter. Very Noisy.

DSG or Dual Clutch- Very expensive gearboxes tuned for Speed and quick shifting with no regards to FE. Can however be tuned for Good FE.

AMT- The newfangled AT concept. Almost a Manual however the computer decides what gear to choose and a motor shifts gears. Manual-Like FE if driven carefully.

Thread Starter #3
Re: 6/7 speed automatic vs manual transmission

I was mentioning about dual clutch automatic gearbox. It's dsg for VW & skoda. Though many manufacturers have it, only VW group provided it in Indian market. I would like to know the fuel efficiency you get in your polo rapid Vento Octavia Jetta automatic and manual transmission.

AMT on other hand is supposed to give similar FE as manual a, but the jerk while shifting might be a problem to >5 lakh rupee cars

Top Bottom