Chevy Spark LT Producing Sound While Turning

Thread Starter #1
My spark LT ODO-19k recently started producing sound on turning sharply. When contact the local workshop they declared the clutch plates, pressure plates and drive shafts needs replacement. Kindly suggest.....

I don't see how a clutch plate would have to do with this.

Does your vehicle have Hydraulic or Electric Power steering?

drive shafts can be the cause overhauling clutch for that kind of sound is like day light robbery[gun].they just want to make money from you

My spark LT ODO-19k recently started producing sound on turning sharply. When contact the local workshop they declared the clutch plates, pressure plates and drive shafts needs replacement. Kindly suggest.....
Please get your CV BOOT JOINTS CHECKED. just google for more information on constant velocity joints.

if there is a sound only while turning it can be due top drive shafts wearing out. now for a drive shaft there are 2 sides and a rod in between, one side goes into the gear box and other inside the wheels. check which side is gone. you can purchase that side bell from the local automobile shop for economical rates.

I too heard it for sometime in my spark 2010, when driving in rainy conditions. Was ok after the service. It was with due to lack of grease in the wheels i think. Pls dont trust the asc, they are a bunch of amateurs. Visit a local reputed mechanic for advise. The asc once replaced my rear suspensions( under warranty) for a noise problem. But still i had the noise , which was later found to be a loose nut under the car. The funny part was, the problem was solved by a 15 year old mechanic.

I don't see how a clutch plate would have to do with this.

Does your vehicle have Hydraulic or Electric Power steering?
Something called hydraulic power steering, kind of like a cross.

If it's hydraulic power steering, there's a couple of things you want to check first, before you go to replace the CV shafts.

Firstly, it may seem simple but check the fluid level. Bleed the system by turning the wheel fully to both sides and returning to the center, then make sure you have plenty of fluid.

If the noise is a more of a screech, check the serpentine belt running the power steering pump for slack or slippage, replace if necessary.

The pump itself is probably fine if you're only hearing the noise while turning sharply.

If none of the above is an issue, the CV joints are indeed the culprit.

Side note @incarnation: That is a very interesting looking car in your profile picture! What is it?

Last edited:
What i mean to say Mr.Viru has beautifully explained,just to add:

1. If at all any issues with steering or shaft mechanisms, after the repair get the wheel alignment and balancing checked,else the problem will repeat and the tyre thread will wear off unevenly.

2.Hydraulic steering- Check with Oil seal , Make sure no Oil is dripping (Usually this is indicated by dampening of the Flooring in driver's side)

3.To prevent issues in further runs-
Do wheel alignment correctly,If hydraulic unit replenish the power steering fluid at constant intervals.

@ Viru its called TATA SIERRA first passenger vehicle by TATA in the late 90's. however mine is 1997 model with A/c PS PW, tilt steering and power lock through keys all these features where factory fitted then. its a classic vehicle. Only few crazy people like me drive it. However it has a huge fan following. for more pics you can see it under ownership reviews.

3.To prevent issues in further runs-
Do wheel alignment correctly,If hydraulic unit replenish the power steering fluid at constant intervals.
Agreed with this! Poor alignment and balancing can strain your power steering system, leading to premature wear on parts.

@ Viru its called TATA SIERRA first passenger vehicle by TATA in the late 90's. however mine is 1997 model with A/c PS PW, tilt steering and power lock through keys all these features where factory fitted then. its a classic vehicle. Only few crazy people like me drive it. However it has a huge fan following. for more pics you can see it under ownership reviews.
Beautiful, kudos for persevering with the car you love!

Top Bottom