Mileage Drop in Honda Amaze Diesel (10,000 Kms)

Thread Starter #1
Hi All,

I have a HONDA AMAZE DIESEL purchased on Jan 1st 2015. At first (before 1st and 2nd servicing), the avg kmpl displayed onboard was around 21kmpl on highways and 20kmpl in city.(AC is always kept on)
This has now dropped to 18.4kmpl in city and max 19kmpl in highway.
The total run on odometer is 7456 kms and is due for 3rd servicing on 27th June 2015.
I always keep the tyres pressure as mentioned by manufacturer and check it every week. We put the diesel in the same petrol pump for all our cars and it has been years.
Can anyone let me know what can be the possible reasons for the drop in mileage? The car is run either by me or dad, and we both are against high revs or overtaking. We drive it slowly and smoothly.
Some blogs and forums suggest noted that after the servicing it will be all ok. I don’t understand what the mechanic can do. Of course I will change the oil this time, but still, what else can be done to improve the mileage.
I wonder if any part is not performing up to its mark.
Please suggest what I should tell my service engineer this time so that he can check all those things. Any specific parts to check for wear and tear?
Should i do an engine flush before pouring the new engine oil?
Should i go with fully synthetic or the recommended oil by Honda?

Thanks & regards
Debasish

Last edited:
Re: Mileage drop in HONDA AMAZE DIESEL < 10,000 KMS

this is not a huge drop in Mileage its a miner drop.it can be due to clogged air filter
and always calculate Mileage with tank full method
engine flush @ 10,000km is to early
and stick with engine oil grade which is recommended by Honda

I would say not to worry much.+ or - 2 Kms is OK in any driving conditions.Anyway some questions for you.
Are you driving the car?
Is there multiple users for the car?
Have you reset the Average calculator?
Have you done a tank full method to assess the fuel efficiency?

Thread Starter #4

I would say not to worry much.+ or - 2 Kms is OK in any driving conditions.Anyway some questions for you.
Are you driving the car?
Is there multiple users for the car?
Have you reset the Average calculator?
Have you done a tank full method to assess the fuel efficiency?
Hi generalmax
Yes I drive the car.
Only my dad and myself. Infact dad noticed this drop at first, then i too realised the situation
Yes, we have reset it fe times. say once in a month
No, I have not done the tank full method. Can you please tell me how to do that?

I have not done the tank full method. Can you please tell me how to do that?
Fill diesel full tank till auto cut off.
Note the km reading.
After a reasonable time/distance fill the tank again till auto cut off in the same fuel station and from the same terminal.
Note the km reading.
Divide the km difference with the quantity of diesel filled this time.
That's the FE calculated with tank full method.

+1000 on autosafari's recommendation. This is the most correct way to determine mileage. The drop you are reporting is nothing to worry at all. Just inform the service guys and they will check the Engine with their "computer thingies" and ensure everything is OK. Sometimes, at cruising speeds, you might be giving a tiny bit more pressure on the Pedal than what is needed, but the on-board microprocessor-software combo might decide not to increase the speed. Result would be marginally reduced FE. If your driving routine has not changed, try adjusting Driver seat height, change of foot wear, change of route or something crazy like that.

I would compare the worries about mileage to a "Batsman in 90s". The more the worry, the more chances of him not making a 100. Remove mileage from your mind, let the body connect to your vehicle, you'd start seeing better mileage figures. But at that stage, you wouldn't bother about it. Enjoy your car and enjoy the drive buddy. Mileage is nothing.

My way of looking at life is : Run away from goody goody things and they will be your shadow; worry too much about bad things and they will also be your shadow. Please do not mistake me.

Thread Starter #8
Thank you Vishnu, autosafari and Vijay for the advice...

@Vijay
Driver seat height, change of foot wear...that was a supperr crazzzyyyy idea, but I tried it today morning and yes, there was definitely a change in driving style. the foot on gas pedal changes magically :D :D Thanks for that

allhyundaicars

Honoured Member
Like many members said there's no need to worry.

I think that it will settle around these numbers only unless there's a drastic change in driving style.

My verna used to show 14kmpl for the first 5000kms and after that it has settled around 10-11kmpl for the same route. I hardly see 12kmpl in summers.

Hy everybody. I have honda city IDTEC. Earlier it used to give all FE of 18-19.. That was the time when AC used to be mostly off. Now it gives something around 15-16 with AC on always.

Are these figures fine?

And please tell me the tyre air pressure which is Recommend and which air i should go for normal or nitrogen..

Hy everybody. I have honda city IDTEC. Earlier it used to give all FE of 18-19.. That was the time when AC used to be mostly off. Now it gives something around 15-16 with AC on always.

Are these figures fine?

And please tell me the tyre air pressure which is Recommend and which air i should go for normal or nitrogen..
Hi mahatvab.

I think that 15 kmpl is not that bad if you are using AC and driving in city (not the car, city = traffic :stupid:). I get 15 kmpl or less in my Liva Diesel with 100% AC in city. Considering that, your car's mileage is okay.

Tyre air pressures are printed on the driver side door (once you open the door, check the area where the door lock is located from the outside, you will find a sticker) and the owner's manual. Follow those pressures religiously and you can expect good numbers, provided that you are not too harsh on the gas pedal and change gears wisely.

Nitrogen and normal air both are fine. Nitrogen is usually preferred, if it is readily available, as it lasts longer than normal air and thus, you will not lose pressure as fast as in the case of normal air. You will not have to check for tyre pressure often.

PS. I fill normal air.

Regards,
Nikunj

Hi mahatvab.

I think that 15 kmpl is not that bad if you are using AC and driving in city (not the car, city = traffic :stupid:). I get 15 kmpl or less in my Liva Diesel with 100% AC in city. Considering that, your car's mileage is okay.

Tyre air pressures are printed on the driver side door (once you open the door, check the area where the door lock is located from the outside, you will find a sticker) and the owner's manual. Follow those pressures religiously and you can expect good numbers, provided that you are not too harsh on the gas pedal and change gears wisely.

Nitrogen and normal air both are fine. Nitrogen is usually preferred, if it is readily available, as it lasts longer than normal air and thus, you will not lose pressure as fast as in the case of normal air. You will not have to check for tyre pressure often.

PS. I fill normal air.

Regards,
Nikunj

Nikunj thanks for the reply.. Can you please explain this pic. This sticker is on the driver side. I am not getting which pressure has to be done above 160 or below 160.

Attachments

Hello Debasish,

Sad to hear your problem. Actually i don't think there is a problem at all.
Mileage is hugely affected by a whole lot of factors like the traffic conditions, load on your vehicle, time of travel and all . This drop you mentioned can be due to any of the mentioned factors.

I'm having an Amaze and it has done 49k km's so far. I don't find any issue with the mileage even without changing the fuel filter once[frustration](Honda SVC was out of stock every single time).I'm getting it done this service for sure.

I always use tank to tank method to get a better idea of the vehicle behavior, and these are my conclusions on my very limited knowledge :

• Once after the fill up, if you're resetting the MID and cruising through highway you're most probably gonna get the best mileage figure's shown in your MID and if after resetting the MID you're straight jam packed in a rush,then you won't.
  • Cruising in early morning and late nights will yield you more mileage cause of the fact that air is more cold than during day times .
  • If mileage is the priority for you, try keeping the vehicle in ECO zone.
  • Even if this all never worked out, try changing your filling station, you know just in case[;)]

and after all, flooring your car once in a while never do any harm. It will let the carbon deposits burn out and refine your engine. I've been done constant cruising around 140 kmph to and fro Chennai and the mileage i got was 17 kmpl, more than enough!!

Attaching an picture of the Fuel app that I use and my statistics from Day 1[:D]

Screenshot_2015-06-14-20-40-42.png

For a change just fill the fuel in BP in a factory owned pump and check it. I also had this same problem in my Fiesta. Once it dropped to 16 KMPL as I was using Indian Oil. For a change i filled in BP and i got 20 KMPL in tank full method. And after that Im using BP through out. Im now getting in the range of 19.5 to 20 KMPL in my Fiesta.

Good Luck.

Top Bottom