Pickup Problem with Skoda Octavia 1.9 TDi (2005)

Thread Starter #1
Hello Guys,

One of my cousin owns a 05 Skoda Octavia 1.9TDi Rider model. He just called me to inquire about an issue regarding his Octavia.

His Octavia is having pick up issues since this morning. He says the RPM is working fine but the car does not want to move as quickly as the rpm goes. It's very sluggish and takes a while after it crosses 40kmph to even reach 70-80 kmph. It is going to 100-110 kmph but takes a long time to reach that figure. Overtaking another vehicle is just, barely possible for him right now.

He got the air filter checked and even got it cleaned by his known mechanic. He thought maybe an issue with the Turbo but the mechanic said Turbo is good.

So what may be the cause of this issue? I guess may be the MAF sensor is the culprit.

Re: Pickup Problem with 05 Skoda Octavia 1.9TDi

Seems a failed clutch assembly. Clutch plates might be worn and needs replacement.

Clutch can be faulty
can your cousin smell like something burning if yes then check the clutch

Thread Starter #4

Seems a failed clutch assembly. Clutch plates might be worn and needs replacement.
Clutch can be faulty
can your cousin smell like something burning if yes then check the clutch
Clutch is alright. He just got his clutch plates and pressure plates replaced 2-3 months back. And there is no burning smell either.

any kind of smoke from exhaust ?
or did he check engine oil level with deep stick if level is up from max point of deep stick then it can be a part of problem

Last edited:
Thread Starter #6

any kind of smoke from exhaust ?
or did he check engine oil level with deep stick if level is up from max point of deep stick then it can be a part of problem
Only when he starts the car, little bit of black smoke comes through otherwise there is on smoke.I guess this should be ok because it's a diesel and almost 10 years old car. It run perfect though. Engine oil level is OK as well.

your never told that he check or change diesel filter please try to change it and post result
and yes MAF sensor can be the culprit try to clean it you can get help for Google about cleaning MAF sensor
and don't forget to clean egr if car have

Last edited:
Thread Starter #9
your never told that he check or change diesel filter please try to change it and post result
and yes MAF sensor can be the culprit try to clean it you can get help for Google about cleaning MAF sensor
and don't forget to clean egr if car have
Found the culprit buddy.

It's the MAF sensor. His mechanic disconnected the MAF sensor and car was running fine. Put it back and the same story started again.

So can anything be done or does he have to replace the sensor?

Happy to hear that maf was the problem .
For a 10 year old car this is not new.
But you must ask the service guys why they have not cleaned the sensor as a schedule ?

Thread Starter #12
Thanks for the link buddy. Will give it a try definitely.

Happy to hear that maf was the problem .
For a 10 year old car this is not new.
But you must ask the service guys why they have not cleaned the sensor as a schedule ?
I bought this car last year buddy. Since i was not the first owner i have no clue about it. Also ever since i bought this car i got it serviced at our known mechanic rater than SKODA.

Top Bottom