Volkswagen Polo DSG Transmission Reliability Concerns

Thread Starter #1
I have been following posts/threads/news regarding Polo GT and the Seven-speed DSG for a quite while now. But now when I am about to buy a new hatch somethings are still unclear regarding DSG reliability. On some other forum I found out about still high failure rates.
Experts help me and others out please.
1.) Is the Seven-speed DSG still unreliable even after two wears(2013) of the Global Recall ?
2.) Also I heard that getting gear oil changed after every 10000 km will help it last way longer.
3.) If some how the DSG until fails after four years(warranty period) what would be the repair/replacement cost and would it be covered under complete coverage insurance ?
4.) Is GT TSI still worth the risk ?

Thanks

Re: DSG Reliability (POLO)

I have been following posts/threads/news regarding Polo GT and the Seven-speed DSG for a quite while now. But now when I am about to buy a new hatch somethings are still unclear regarding DSG reliability. On some other forum I found out about still high failure rates.
1.) Is the Seven-speed DSG still unreliable even after two wears(2013) of the Global Recall ?
2.) Also I heard that getting gear oil changed after every 10000 km will help it last way longer.
3.) If some how the DSG until fails after four years(warranty period) what would be the repair/replacement cost and would it be covered under complete coverage insurance ?

Thanks
One of my cousin brother is having a GT TSI. We've covered around 9k km's on it.
We also had the same doubts you had.
The DSG unit failure is a pretty heard issue and I've heard like the whole DSG unit is imported. So if any problem occurs, it's gonna cost you a bomb in pocket.

Thread Starter #3

IF something happens withing warranty well and good lol
The mechatronics unit costs around 1.5 lacs
and gearbox around 3 lacs
Just need to confirm from somewhere if the gearbox is covered under insurance, some companies do provide engine/gearbox cover.
Everything appart is the fun to drive worth the risk :p
One of my cousin brother is having a GT TSI. We've covered around 9k km's on it.
We also had the same doubts you had.
The DSG unit failure is a pretty heard issue and I've heard like the whole DSG unit is imported. So if any problem occurs, it's gonna cost you a bomb in pocket.

IF something happens withing warranty well and good lol
The mechatronics unit costs around 1.5 lacs
and gearbox around 3 lacs
Just need to confirm from somewhere if the gearbox is covered under insurance, some companies do provide engine/gearbox cover.
Everything appart is the fun to drive worth the risk :p
of course. It's a total fun to drive vehicle .
Make sure you have surplus amount of Vitamin M for fuel [lol]

Thanks
1. Yes. Still you can read a lot of failures/stories online. DQ200 is not much reliable, at least from what I read and heard. And once warranty is over, it will cost you dearly.
2. Huh! Nothing like that. A lot of car enthus who pamper their car better than their kids, still have issues with DSG. It makes no sense and this is complete myth.
3. Anywhere between 2.5 to 3 lakhs
4. Yes & No. If you are okay with taking the risk of going to handle the DSG failure(we wish it will not happen, but if the odds are against us!!!) then Yes. If you don't want to spend a good chunk of amount on some gearbox, then No.

I am no way against DSG, but this particular DQ200 is prone to failure. If I were you, I wouldn't put so much money into an item, which may or may not work for me. I would rather buy an piece of mind car or an Manual Transmission Polo which is still fun to drive after some mods!!!! Why take such risk, when you are not sure about how long will DQ200 serve you until it is dead on you!

Top Bottom