Spark Plug Gaping - Honda City

Thread Starter #1
Hello ,
I would like to know the spark plug gaping required for Honda city type1 1.3.
Over here in my place(kerala) garages use some kind of axo blade as an gaping tool.I really dont want it done to my car so does any one know the excat gaping required for my vehicle?

Thanks
Karthik

Well the spark plug gaping should be around 0.6mm to 0.8mm.
(hacksaw blades width is nearly the same)

Even here people use the hacksaw blade instead of the FILLER GAUGE which is the right tool to set the proper gap.

Last edited:

Even here people use the hacksaw blade instead of the FILLER GAUGE which is the right tool to set the proper gap.
Spot on Neil,
Who uses a filler gauge at garages anyways.[lol!]
Its only for stupid people working for A.S.S [lol]

Spot on Neil,
Who uses a filler gauge at garages anyways.[lol!]
Its only for stupid people working for A.S.S [lol]
HAHA A point , the mechanics working are not stupids. There managers are stupids. If we have any doubts, they call upon the mechanics to give reason. They are forced to give stupid answers.

Thread Starter #6

@--> Neil

The hacksaw thing doesnt seem to be a right thing to do.There must be system for every thing we do.

Hello ,
I would like to know the spark plug gaping required for Honda city type1 1.3.
Over here in my place(kerala) garages use some kind of axo blade as an gaping tool.I really dont want it done to my car so does any one know the excat gaping required for my vehicle?

Thanks
Karthik
Hey karthik
Welcome to TAI
waiting for your introduction in the respective thread.
Have a Pleasant stay at TAI.[:D]

@--> Neil

The hacksaw thing doesnt seem to be a right thing to do.There must be system for every thing we do.
We stay in India sir.The garage owners save some bucks by giving 1 hacksaw blade & breaking them into 10 pieces instead of giving 10 filler gauge's.

Thread Starter #10
We stay in India sir.The garage owners save some bucks by giving 1 hacksaw blade & breaking them into 10 pieces instead of giving 10 filler gauge's.
Please correct me if iam wrong[;)].IMO Each vehicle need different spark plug gaping but the hacksaw blade can only do gaping in a single measurement.

Karthik.

Please correct me if iam wrong[;)].IMO Each vehicle need different spark plug gaping but the hacksaw blade can only do gaping in a single measurement.

Karthik.
Really don't know about this,i don't thing the gap is different for different vehicles.At least the place where i worked,all different cars plug's were set with the same gap.

Thread Starter #12
Really don't know about this,i don't thing the gap is different for different vehicles.At least the place where i worked,all different cars plug's were set with the same gap.
I too don't know much about spark plug gaping but i think that the gaping is different for different cars otherwise the spark plug gauge containing different measures is just a fake thing.

Karthik.

I too don't know much about spark plug gaping but i think that the gaping is different for different cars otherwise the spark plug gauge containing different measures is just a fake thing.

Karthik.
Ya,you are right.But the thing is the size don't differ much for different vehicles,will be max to max + - 0.4mm which is pretty negligible.

Thread Starter #14
Ya,you are right.But the thing is the size don't differ much for different vehicles,will be max to max + - 0.4mm which is pretty negligible.
IMO its a wrong thing i think because the gap adjustment can be fairly critical, and if it is maladjusted the engine may run badly even though slight difference in gap may give too small and weak a spark to effectively ignite the fuel-air mixture, while a gap that is too wide might prevent a spark from firing at all. Either way, a spark which only intermittently fails to ignite the fuel-air mixture may not be noticeable directly, but will show up as a reduction in the engine's power and fuel efficiency.

Karthik.

IMO its a wrong thing i think because the gap adjustment can be fairly critical, and if it is maladjusted the engine may run badly even though slight difference in gap may give too small and weak a spark to effectively ignite the fuel-air mixture, while a gap that is too wide might prevent a spark from firing at all. Either way, a spark which only intermittently fails to ignite the fuel-air mixture may not be noticeable directly, but will show up as a reduction in the engine's power and fuel efficiency.

Karthik.

First of all the ignition coils have a limited voltage which is easily capable of creating a spark even when the distance between the two electrodes(ground & center) is around 0.15mm max.But the gap which is set by the company & the service-centers/garage is somewhere between 0.6 to 0.8mm.So increasing or reducing the gap by 0.2mm or so does not lead to a situation of spark not falling at all and weak spark respectively as it is pretty negligible.It does not even adversely effect the engine.

The effects are as follows:-

1)Increase in the plug gap by 0.2mm than stock leads to more air-fuel mixture coming in contact with the spark & increasing the efficiency of the vehicle.Helps some one increase the average of their vehicle by 1 or 2km/l[.B]Excess[/B] gap may lead to problems in cold start or spark not falling.

2)Reducing the plug gap by 0.2mm than stock helps the car to perform better,useful for someone who drives at full throttle most of the times.

CONCLUSION :-

Therefor the spark plug gap i.e 0.6 to 0.8 is recommended keeping in mind that even changing it by + - 0.4mm wont lead to any of the problems you have mentioned.[:)]
Unless you ride/drive something like a sports car or bike.[cheers]

Last edited:

Top Bottom