Engine Sound After Installing CNG

Thread Starter #1
Hi TAIgers,

I recently installed CNG in my Alto 800 (Jan,2014). I went to the market and enquired at three shops in Dabri area, Delhi. They were CNG experts, Expert CNG solutions and Sai Autotech. They quoted me 35k, 32.5k and 29k for Tomasetto Achille respectively. Next week I went to the Expert CNG solutions as they had more customers that Sai autotech and CNG experts. We finalized the deal at 31k for TA. As soon as they started installing the CNG kit, I checked the CNG reducer to be duplicate. It was not original Tomasetto Achille but a chinese kit. When I asked the owner he too confirmed it and later sent someone to get the original TA from the other branch. But they both were duplicate too. He then recommended me to go with msequent or Automoto. I chose automoto over msequent. [frustration] Infact I shouldn't had got the CNG installed when I doubt. But still I went with Automoto brand thinking it to be Italian made and they started installing it. There I saw many others going with TA with no knowledge that they are getting a duplicate kit installed. The owner infact said that they get no complaints although being a chinese kit. Honda Accord was installed with TA, then came Toyota Corolla and then came Ford Figo all for the TA. The installation was done and we went for the CNG refilling. After refilling a guy tuned up the ECU using the laptop at the CNG station, drove for some miles and gave it to me to drive and test the vehicle. I did and found it comparably OK with little difference. But I heard a screeching sound coming from the engine and also told the same to the mechanic sitting beside me. We went to the garage and he checked for leakage and gave the keys. I came back and went for a ride at night and I heard the same screeching sound coming from the engine like chi chi chi chi. I don't know the reason for this. Even when driving on petrol I can hear the same. At idle, there is no sound from the engine. When accelerating there is a Puff and the screeching sound. I need immediate help. Car is running fine on CNG but my only worry is the sound. Can anyone also tell me if they have/had any experience or knowledge on automoto brand. Its an Indian brand and the ECU is italian. I confirmed this with the person mentioned on automoto website.

allhyundaicars

Honoured Member
I think it can be noise coming from the timing belt. How much kms has your car covered? When i installed cng i used to get the same sound but i replaced it @ 80k kms (ran 30kms on cng till this date) and i have covered 1,30,000 kms till now and sometimes the sound come and goes.

I don't think it's much of a problem unless it shows signs of wear and tear. What did the cng guys said ? If you can make a video and upload it here.

If not the timing belt maybe other members can help.

Last edited:
check the timing belt

I also believe that its caused by the timing belt. In my opinion it shouldn't whine. Timing belts are usually used to reduce engine noise. If it's whining, something is not right. Something is too tight, or misaligned. U can get the tension checked by a good workshop.
Also have you checked revving up while idling to see if the sound comes or does it it only happen when on the move? Does it whirl? Or a high pitched noise like a supercharger? Steady noise? Pulsating? Maybe it's rubbing a little on a cover, and with the increased engine speed the vibration sounds like a whine.

Top Bottom