Maruti 800 Coolant Not Circulating

Thread Starter #1
My car Maruti 800 with the original Suzuki engine stopped suddenly on the road one very hot day on Apr 4.

On close examination there it was noticed that the inlet cover (behind the engine) which supplied coolant from the top pipe of the radiator was leaking. There seemed to be some flat faced rounded surface about 1 cm in radius just above the inlet of the coolant which was leaking. So the mechanic got that filled up with filling which stopped the leaking. This happened on Apr 4
He then changed the oil and the coolant and charged me 2000 Rs.

A few days later on Apr 7 the red light near the dashboard showed (oil pump) up after driving for about a 15 kms non stop. On taking it back to the mechanic he told me the head gasket has gone and it was noticed that the coolant and oil had mixed. So he changed the gasket and the oil again and charged me Rs 2200.

On April 8 after driving it for hardly 3 kms the oil pump red light showed iup again. So he said the pump was damaged and he replaced the pump again charging me another 2000 Rs.
I am unable to understand how the gasket blew off after the coolant was changed on Apr 4. Why did we not notice any coolant and oil mixing on the oil dip stick when the inlet cover was leaking on Apr 4.

I am just wondering whether this mechanic has stopped the circulation of the coolant completely while filling in the leakage surface in the first instance. Also I never noticed the red light coming on even when I drove it only with water while taking it to the mechanic on Apr 4.

After the coolant and leakage was stopped on Apr 4 why did the red light come on after running it for 3 days? It seems that the damage has been caused after the leakage in the inlet cover was filled up.

Now after the oil pump has been changed and the gasket has been changed I noticed that the overflow bottle was totally empty. I quickly filled it up with water. I opened the radiator cap and checked that the coolant was filled to the brim.

I drove carefully for about 20 km but funnily I did not notice any mixing of the coolant and the water in the overflow bottle. The radiator and the engine appeared quite hot…I do not know if that is normal. Does the radiator fluid not expand and flow to the overflow bottle while running?

What could be the reason for this apparent lack of mixing.

Also I am noticing the fuel gage and temp indicator at nearly the start position. Looks like they are not functioning properly. So the engine etc could be getting hot but its not getting reflected clearly on the indicator.

Can anyone let me know if this is normal behavior.

I am beginning to think that this mechanic is either incompetent or has purposefully done a slipshod job so that he can keep making money of me.

Please advise if possible …What should I check and how to ascertain if the coolant is actually flowing through the engine?

Last edited by a moderator:

Top Bottom