Horrible Tire Smell in Maruti Wagon-R Vxi 2014

Thread Starter #1
Hello guys,

Today I went for a short ride about 4 km and when i reached home and rolled down the windows I suddenly noticed a pungent smell from the car around tires. The smell was not that of a burning rubber but more like dog poop (The worst thing I could compare with ).[confused]. My mom standing 2-3 feet away from the car could also smell it immediately. I initially thought that my dog might have pooped and I might have run the tires on it. When I noticed carefully it was from/around the car tires. This is worrying me [anger]

The car has clocked only around 3000 km till date.

Any help/suggestion is appreciated [cry]

Thanks.

Re: Horrible Tire Smell in my maruti Wagon-r Vxi 2014

Basically,it is not from inside the car.It is from outside the car.Have you checked the cars thoroughly? All tires are smelling or only front tires? Is it smelling after riding it for some time? Where are you parking your car,is it closed or open?

HI,
If it was little bit like burning smell than i am sure it was from the clutch plate due to excess wear as it is a new car same thing happened with my wagon r when it was new.

it can be due to hand brake.like i did with my brother`s a-star at morning.i was in hurry and hand brake is not fully disengaged i notice in after half km from my home then i stop the car and disengaged the handbrake

Last edited:
Thread Starter #5
Basically,it is not from inside the car.It is from outside the car.Have you checked the cars thoroughly? All tires are smelling or only front tires? Is it smelling after riding it for some time? Where are you parking your car,is it closed or open?
The front 2 tires are smelling. As I mentioned that I traveled only 4 km. The smell is horrible/pungent. Car is parked in open area. This is the first time something like this has happened and it went away in 15 minutes of stopping the car. After some time I tried running the engine in idle but there was no smell.

The car is only 3000 KM old.

Thanks[confused]

HI,
If it was little bit like burning smell than i am sure it was from the clutch plate due to excess wear as it is a new car same thing happened with my wagon r when it was new.
Does excess wear happen in a new car? is it normal?[cry]

it can be due to hand brake.like i did with my brother`s a-star at morning.i was in hurry and hand brake is not fully disengaged i notice in after half km from my home then i stop the car and disengaged the handbrake
I double checked it bro. It isn't the handbrake as I have the habit of checking the speedometer every alternate minute. If it was the handbrake then a (!) symbol might have flashed. I'm scared that something bad is happening within the engine bay or the tires [frustration]

It can be clutch or brake shoes.Excessive usage ,even though in a short trip can create wear in these parts.Let MASS give an answer.

May be front brake disc pad jamming or any issue like slight bend in disc. Next time check the front wheel disc/alloy & tires getting hot within 2-3 km ride. Or you can check while driving(in a normal road or small slop) by changing to neutral gear. In case you feel the car not freely moving, struggling to move, then it surely related to brakes.

If it was related to clutch, smell will come when you start moving the car in 1st gear or acclerating while running. Smell will not come when the car is in neutral gear/stopped and you can feel it in the cabin also.

Thread Starter #8

May be front brake disc pad jamming or any issue like slight bend in disc. Next time check the front wheel disc/alloy & tires getting hot within 2-3 km ride. Or you can check while driving(in a normal road or small slop) by changing to neutral gear. In case you feel the car not freely moving, struggling to move, then it surely related to brakes.
I'll give it a try and check. Thanks for the suggestion mate [:)]

Thread Starter #10

Well this is a little bit confusing. I went to the fuel pump today for refueling. As I have not filled air in the tires since i purchased the car:suspect:, I asked him to fill air. The Tire pressure indicated in the machine was only 25psi [confused]. He filled it at 33 Psi and the handling has improved a LOT. A LOT!!. Steering feels smooth like cake and I don't feel the bumps that were there before near my house.

Also I did not notice any smell today from the tires.

Could All this be due to very low air pressure ?[thinking]

May be,nut then check whether any sidewall breakage is there,as no air has been filled,friction in tyres increase,hence resistance from ground increases,that means more prone to wear and tear.
Twice a week check air pressures,else fill up with Nitrogen ,monthly check up in case of nitrogen(Though Nitrogen lasts more than 2 months).

As i already told you, incase brake jamming is there, tire and wheel disc will get excessively hot and air will reduce..just check up the tire/disc whether it is so hot after 2-3 km ride and check for excessive black dust due to breakpad wear

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry to interupt. But I have WagonR VXI(ABS) 2014 model which has 14" tyres and takes 36 psi. This is also written on the door panel. Why the pumpguy fills 33 psi in 'Loveofcars' car?[surprise]

Sorry for the Little OT,

If the profile is 165/80 R14 is it good idea to inflate 39 for the front and 36 for rear from the PUMP's Air facility ?

I found that Petrol Pump's Air nozzel by default tune lower intentionally than other place like shop / SVC....

Last edited:

Top Bottom