Power Loss in Tata Manza Quadrajet

Thread Starter #1
Well, Its been 40000 kms, 3 years 6 states (Kerala to Jharkhand) for my Manza Quadrajet. I have driven in all types of roads and the car has been a true companion always. So this time we went for a weekend trip with family to Ooty. The hotel we stayed was located on top of a hill and approach road was very steep. We went up fully loaded, with ease. Actually I never ever felt any problem concerning power. But this time, I faced a strange problem while going to nearby Dodapetta peak. About 500 m before the peak, I stopped my car (the car ahead of me stopped) and then the car lost its power and refused to climb. It was strange because I never faced this earlier. Had to engage parking brake and rev really hard to climb up. Well that was it. We came down, went to Cunnoor and back to hotel on steep roads. And everything seemed normal.

Before I started the journey, the car was serviced at TASS in Bangalore. Air filter, Fuel Filter, Engine oil were renewed. So that rules out blocked air or fuel filter.

What could be the reason?

Thread Starter #4
Re: Power loss in Manza Quadrajet

No idea about that. I dont think they cleaned EGR, as I was there most of the time.
It could be clutch issue. But then I drove on worse roads for longer times without any problem.

Thread Starter #6
I did not notice. Might not have been that bad, else I would have noticed. Taking to TASS today, as have to start for Maharashtra tomorrow.

It better you get it checked at TASS. Also ask them to check turbo and inter-cooler hoses and turbo oil seal. This happened to my car too but was normal after that. The service center people said its due to heat. Some times the hose tends to expand and the turbo couldn't produce much vacuum. Also ask them to check inter-cooler if it has choked/ blocked.

Thread Starter #8
Went to TASS today without any appointment. The place was already crowded. First they asked me to come tomorrow. I requested my SA to try it today as I will be outside town for few days. Thanks to my SA and the technical team which did troubleshooting of my car.
Diagnosing tool results were OK. So they checked all the sensors and cleaned them. EGR valve was fouled, which they cleaned. The only thing which is remaining they said is flashing the ECM which couldn't be done today. There is a definite improvement in performance (pickup). Most probably the culprit was sluggish EGR.

Top Bottom