Maruti Suzuki Swift Performance: Petrol (85 BHP) vs Diesel (75 BHP)

Thread Starter #1
this is the never ending debate of petrol vs diesel engine
but i want to know the performance of petrol vs diesel engines of swift
3 months before
here one of my friend is having a taxi tavera, one day some emergency happend to some one and rushed to hospital
Doctor told them to go to hyderabad city for immediate medical attention so they called my friend(he is a good driver)
and asked for his help,there is no time to think,and the uncle who is in emergency is having a swift vdi
and my friend chose that for faster driving and he is in Hyderabad only in 3 hours,total distance 270 kms(160km 2lane road lotsof overtaking+110 km 4lane road)
and that uncle is ok and saved and thanked my driver friend
#so swift diesel is powerful and good torque
but how is it comparable to swift petrol
and swift petrol torque is very low compared to diesel
does it effect in highway performance ??
im a noob in this bhp and torque topics
so please explain!!

Last edited:
Re: 85hp vs75hp or petrol vs diesel engine in swift

SWIFT Diesel has a turbocharger which when kicks in gives a sudden lift to vehicle to gain a good speed on accelerating. If you know about how turbocharger works then it is quite simple to understand the diesel performance over petrol. And SWIFT driving dynamics has always impressed the crowd.

SWIFT diesel is long time proven car on INDIAN roads. There are many other cars which performs great on INDIAN roads. And last its not car which win the race, its the driver.

Thread Starter #3
yeah its the driver [:)]
i know about turbocharger,saw a video and some docs
in 5th gear when overtaking accelerating from 40kmph to 80kmph whick one will be quicker
compared with turbocharged diesel how the petrol stands
because im buying petrol swift thats why im curious about it
[thinking]

yeah its the driver [:)]
i know about turbocharger,saw a video and some docs
in 5th gear when overtaking accelerating from 40kmph to 80kmph whick one will be quicker
compared with turbocharged diesel how the petrol stands
because im buying petrol swift thats why im curious about it
[thinking]
Hello srikanth, when you have a turbo diesel or a turbo petrol there will always be some lag. This is present in the Swift diesel too. Or for that matter in the Rapid too ( buts its really less so you don't really notice much) In 40-80 kmph the petrol will be quicker because the diesel will be in its lag zone at that time. Petrol is a NA one and will be much quicker and responding instantaneously to your input while the diesel will take quite a bit of time to get its turbo spooling up and will then give you the push in the back feeling. Hope you found my answer comprehensive.

and my friend chose that for faster driving and he is in Hyderabad only in 3 hours,total distance 270 kms(160km 2lane road lotsof overtaking+110 km 4lane road)
To be frank for such a stretch it really do not matter whether its a petrol swift or a diesel swift. In good hands both will perform more or less equally.

The petrol swift has a 1.2 Liter k series engine. The Initial is a bit weak due to less low end torque but soon it catches up. In case of the diesel swift till 1.8k rpm the engine will be sluggish due to turbo lag. Once the turbo kicks in and the car is in power band its a fast car. The turbo aids from 1.8k to 3.5k rpm. At 3.5k Rpm in 5th gear this car will be doing around 140kms/hr. Above that the progress will be slower but still it can go 160+. But do we really need such speeds in Indian roads? I guess no.

Now coming to the petrol swift, if it wants to catch up a diesel swift when the diesel is in turbo zone it has to shift down and accelerate. The diesel swift will be benefited from the higher torque and turbo where as one can rev a petrol engine much more than a diesel. So in a swift petrol one can accelerate till 140 up or may be till 160 in 4th gear faster than the swift diesel. You can red line a petrol not a diesel. So if one has to compare the outright acceleration in the hands of a good driver he can give the diesel swift a run for its money.

But when we are driving on roads these figures do not matter. I would rather enjoy driving a diesel swift in its power band and doing the overtaking maneuvers without shifting down!

Hope i could clear a bit of your confusion.

Last edited:
You are overlapping power & torque. To put it simple, more torque is preferable for easy city driving and higher power for high speeds at highway. Diesel swift comes with higher torque and petrol with more power (both comparatively)
Both will be sluggish to do 40 to 80 kmph in 5th Gear.

<<Both will be sluggish to do 40 to 80 kmph in 5th Gear.>> Agree!! I do have a 2009 Petrol Swift (1.3L old engine) which is excellent at high speeds, but if the speed goes below 60, I must down the gear. Otherwise there wont be any acceleration.

Both swifts are more or less identical when it comes to overall performance. Only major difference is in the way they perform.
Where the diesel starts loosing the sheen after 3-3.5k, the petrol starts performing. A petrol swift with a good driver can anytime give the diesel goosebumps but at an expense of severe fuel consumption. One can easily expect an FE of under 10 if driving a petrol swift at redline while with the diesel one, 15-16kpl is still an easy bet despite of having a performance that can rival its petrol sibling. Stronger mid range definitely matters. The driver of the diesel Swift just needs to keep the tacho needle between 1750 to 3750 and everything is done by itself. Keeping diesel in its mid range is definitely easier than keeping a petrol at its top end, after all revs do fall whenever you shift up and the fall is more prominent in higher years.

Be it 60 to 80 or 60 to 100 in 5th gear, diesel swift is considerably quicker than its petrol hearted brother.

Be it 60 to 80 or 60 to 100 in 5th gear, diesel swift is considerably quicker than its petrol hearted brother.
I am inclined to disagree with you Vipul. The diesel swift has a fair bit of lag and won't be going anywhere at the speeds of 60 faster than its petrol sibling. Sure the new Swift petrol has been tuned for more fuel efficiency and the lower end response has become much weaker than before but its as quick as its diesel sibling if not faster ( note I'm talking about accelerating from 60 in fifth gear.).

<<Both will be sluggish to do 40 to 80 kmph in 5th Gear.>> Agree!! I do have a 2009 Petrol Swift (1.3L old engine) which is excellent at high speeds, but if the speed goes below 60, I must down the gear. Otherwise there wont be any acceleration.
Now to take care of this the VVT technology was introduced in the 1.2L K series engine.That engine can give required amount of torque in the mid band.All put together,The beauty of turbo kicking in at 2K RPM for swift diesel is beautiful.But at the same time the power delivery of petrol is also awesome.

I am inclined to disagree with you Vipul. The diesel swift has a fair bit of lag and won't be going anywhere at the speeds of 60 faster than its petrol sibling. Sure the new Swift petrol has been tuned for more fuel efficiency and the lower end response has become much weaker than before but its as quick as its diesel sibling if not faster ( note I'm talking about accelerating from 60 in fifth gear.).
Sirji you are free to disagree but what I am writing is what I have experienced. The Swift VXi I owned way back was a 1.3 and that was an entirely different animal with a fantastic power build up, but this 1.2l engine coupled with a taller than before 5th gear has simply taken the joy out of the equation and added the another variable of fuel economy. Err... And that fuel economy is also dead while driving with a heavy foot.

Coming to the point, in terms of overall responsiveness, the diesel Swift is way quicker from 60 to 100 in 5th gear. Why? Because the power build up starts around 1800 rpm and turbo starts shovelling loads of air around 2000 rpm and both these points come between 70-90 kph in a diesel swift, while its petrol sibling still remains in the weaker part of its band. At least my experience with both the vehicles do dictate the same to me. And as already mentioned, the heart satisfying performance also comes without befriending the fuel pump like its petrol sibling which starts drinking the fuel like water under hard driving. In fact which n/a petrol car don't? Take a Swift, SX4, City, Verna, i20 and see the FE dipping below 10 as down as your gas pedal goes.

Now to take care of this the VVT technology was introduced in the 1.2L K series engine.That engine can give required amount of torque in the mid band.All put together,The beauty of turbo kicking in at 2K RPM for swift diesel is beautiful.But at the same time the power delivery of petrol is also awesome.
Sirji if I am not wrong then variable valve timing or VVT actuates in the top end around 4000 rpm and gives around 2500 rpm of manic performance.

Hi,

have been following this discussion for some time now and I feel it doesnt really matter how many milliseconds are saved in accelerating from 0 to 60 on Indian roads. I have been driving the Swift Vxi for six months now. I did also test drive the ZDI before I bought the Vxi and found it a little more sluggish at lower speeds. But driving around now, I and most people I know, dont even hit 2000rpm before shifting up. I know there is a huge power surge in both cars around the 1800 to 2500rpm mark and I did take it past 2000 quite a few times. But I always felt the car protest and found it to be really "happy" strutting around under 2000rpm. I have also taken my car to 120 on the city road when it was suitable but again I found the car happier between 90 and 100 tops. Driving over 120 is ok for a sedan and I know a lot of people also do that with their hatchbacks but the feel is quite different between the two, so best use that speed only in an emergency

To know what I mean, take your car to 60 on an empty road in 5th gear and then driver it with constant pressure on the accelerator and at a fairly constant speed. See how the raspyness of the car and vibrations disappears and the car runs so smooth

Just my experience

Ameyam

Though the entire discussion revolves around Swift, I intrude myself as a Ritz owner. I run my petrol car in between 1500+ to 2000+rpm. As per driving manual one may shift to 5th gear at 40+km/hr but I generally shift to 5th above 60km/hr. At 60 Km/hr tacho reading remains around 2000 rpm.
I have no experience diesel car driving. Friends please explain the term 'turbo lag'.

In plain english, turbo lag is that little hesitation you feel when you stomp on the gas and it takes a second for the engine to respond.

A turbo does not compress air. All a turbo is, is a double fan basically. Exhaust pressure spins the fan on the exhaust side, which spins the fan on the fresh air side, blowing the air into the intake.

That second it takes for the air to get forced into the intake is Turbo Lag.

It usually only becomes a problem if something restricts the flow of air to the engine or the forced air is leaking out before getting to the intake, or the turbo is too big for the engine or is going bad.

Top Bottom