Handbrake Indicator Lamp Constantly Remains On?

Thread Starter #1

350Z

Core Team
I’ve again started facing this small yet strange issue on my Maruti 800. The thing is its handbrake indicator lamp in the instrument cluster remains on, even when the car is in motion with Handbrake completely unreleased. The problem was present sometime ago, however it automatically disappeared.

Now, unfortunately this has cropped up again! I’m feeling that it could be most probably due to electric malfunction similar to what happened with Raj’s Scorpio (ABS Lights). But then, it is always better to collect some views from others.

Drive Safe,
350Z

There's a small press switch attached to the handbrake.(pretty visible in 800's)
When the handbrake is pulled up the switch is pressed (making the bulb in dashboard glow) & when the handbrake is released the switch gets unpressed (the bulb in dash goes off)

Somethings wrong with that Press Switch. You yourself can check whether the switch is getting unpressed when the handbrake is released.

Last edited:
This has to do with the electrical for sure. But before that, have you serviced your hand break recently. If not, check whether you require some greasing for the cable assembly. Hopefully that will fix the issue.

Whatever Neil mentioned looks to be the most probable cause. Anyway, better to show some mechanic and tell him to fix it properly.

I’ve again started facing this small yet strange issue on my Maruti 800. The thing is its handbrake indicator lamp in the instrument cluster remains on, even when the car is in motion with Handbrake completely unreleased. The problem was present sometime ago, however it automatically disappeared.

Now, unfortunately this has cropped up again! I’m feeling that it could be most probably due to electric malfunction similar to what happened with Raj’s Scorpio (ABS Lights). But then, it is always better to collect some views from others.

Drive Safe,
350Z
Did you check the brake fluid reservoir in the engine bay? Is there enough brake fluid?

There's a small press switch attached to the handbrake.(pretty visible in 800's)
When the handbrake is pulled up the switch is pressed (making the bulb in dashboard glow) & when the handbrake is released the switch gets unpressed (the bulb in dash goes off)

Somethings wrong with that Press Switch. You yourself can check whether the switch is getting unpressed when the handbrake is released.
+1. This will surely solve your issue. If not, greasing will do the job. If problem persists, get your car checked at the nearest MASS.

What has neil has said , may be a case ,
else a water may have grounded the connection making it to remain ON.

In mechanical term , you can very well drive with that light on , it will disappear after some time. cheers

Thread Starter #9

350Z

Core Team

You're right, I have done that earlier too but had no luck.

in my case, it was because of a chipped ABS wire. that is not the case with your car.

so firstly, did you check the brake oil level?
Did you check the brake fluid reservoir in the engine bay? Is there enough brake fluid?
It's all topped up. I guess, It's time to take it to a reliable workshop and get it checked.

Drive Safe,
350Z

I agree with Neil[thumbsup].This is a common problem in most of the 800s,even our old one also have it sometime.

Sometimes we forget to clean the handbrake switch which Neil have mentioned during cleaning,it used to hinder the free movement of the button during arming and disarming of handbrakes,which cause the button to stay in "ON" position even if you release the brake.

You can do some easy jobs to get it back to normal condition:-

• Take a clean cotton cloth,pull down the button fron below,where the wire is connected to it,now clean the hole into which the white button used to return back after you release it.
  • Check the contacts below,is there any sign of carbon formation or moisture formation,then get it wiped out.
Hope these will help out,if not then get it checked in a good workshop.[:)]

Thats really informative AHI. To be honest, i never bothered to clean the handbrake area thoroughly, but i guess it is necessary to clean that region to avoid such issues.

@350Z- did you check the switch which Niel mentioned?

Thread Starter #14

350Z

Core Team
Everything else has been already checked like I answered in previous post, Now I think I am quite sure that issue is somewhere related to electricals because today, on bumps the light automatically turned off, however, while running on the smooth road surface, it turns on again. Could it be related to some damaged wires etc?

Drive Safe,
350Z

Thats really informative AHI. To be honest, i never bothered to clean the handbrake area thoroughly, but i guess it is necessary to clean that region to avoid such issues.
Thank you bro[:)].

yes it may look like minor matter to be neglected,but sometimes cause very irritative problem
-----------Next Post-----------
Everything else has been already checked like I answered in previous post, Now I think I am quite sure that issue is somewhere related to electricals because today, on bumps the light automatically turned off, however, while running on the smooth road surface, it turns on again. Could it be related to some damaged wires etc?

Drive Safe,
350Z
Yes vibhor,it may be.There may be some short circuited wire in the wirings.Get it checked ASAP because sometimes it lead to circuit burn also in fatal cases, and result in total breakdown of electrical system.

Last edited:

Top Bottom