Restoring a Maruti Suzuki Gypsy 1992

Thread Starter #1
Hi All,
I am planning to buy a Gypsy and have it modified according to my taste.
I have checked few gypsies and was not pretty satisfied with the condition [cry].
Yesterday I checked an another one. looked decent , 1992 model, engine sounded good and the body needs some serious attention. The guy quoted 1Lac, negotiated to 80K.

I need help from you guys on getting clarified on few things.

1. 80K for 1992 model petrol(tax paid upto 2019end) .....Is it worth?
2. Can we install the power steering for this model. (preferably EPS)..Cost?
3. Can we install AC .
4. Approx cost for denting and painting.(from white to blue)
5. I have seen 'INA' for color in RC, What does it mean?

Hope to have somr quick replies as the guy wants to sell the vehicle as soon as possible.
Thanks in Advance.

I forgot to take the pics of the vehicle. Will post the pics soon.

Re: Restoring a 1992 gypsy

i think painting is goin to cost you somewhere around 20-25k, Ac can be installed if all new exp would be 24-30k. if used parts are used it may reduce upto 15k, i think you could have negotiated till 60k but 80k isnt bad given that they are so hard to find.The Tyres look good hence 80k would be justified otherwise you will have to spare 30k For Bridgestone Dueller( I think the tyres on the vehicle are BS Dueller). are you planning to keep a soft top or going for a hard one. IMO Hydraulic PS is possible not sure about Electronic assisted PS.
Denting cost would depend on the amount of damage for which cost can be assessed only after physical inspection. what about the suspension and everything is it all fine. if yes you are one lucky person. All the best for the restoration. hope the above info helps.

Thread Starter #5

@Incarnation
thank for your response.
Today I am having my mechanic check the vehicle. After that I can pen on the engine condition and suspension. Yes body needs some work. I read it from other threads that hydraulic PS eats away power.
AC will be in the second round of updates.
first concentrating on body and engine.
Feels like PS is very essential after driving my I10 for last 4 years.
What does INA for color means on RC

Last edited:

Esteem, Sierra , Fords, are all hydraulic PS only, they are better than EPS IMO. my lookout is less electronics more mechanics keep it simple silly. rest its one's liking that matters, i like old school where things were more simple. so i suggested HPS. BTW would like to know how much power is eaten by HPS compared to EPS

Thread Starter #7

how much would it cost for a new and a used HPS assembly.
I am planning to have a soft top for now and planning to change color.

I dont know how much would a PS cost for gypsy. if im not wrong esteem PS and AC is a Direct fit for Gypsy. that is what i had read earlier in a different forum. an esteem whole power steering unit will come up at 15k if bargained thoroughly. AC used will also come up to the same amount in which the pipes would be new, only the condensor, vaporiser and pump would be from used esteem. if you want more clarification refer to this thread from another forum.
PICS : Gypsy with power steering + Airconditioner - Team-BHP
hope this info helps.

Thread Starter #10
The hunt for another one again started on Saturday and zeroed on a 1991 model on EOD Sunday . Took a test drive, engine is very smooth and there are no major body works with original paint on. Tires are good with mack wheels. Also has LPG fitted. but payed a bit more 1.4Lacs[confused].

Last edited:
Thread Starter #13
Thanks Saroya, Ya did felt the same, paid advance will be getting the Gypsy home in another two days as the seller has to do the fitness. He said he will get it done. So no worries for next 5 years (hope so)[;)]

Guys any help regarding the PS will be appreciated, as I felt the steering very hard while taking u turns and in slow driving. I will be difficult in Hyderabad traffic[gun]
Which is the best suit for gypsy?
Cost with fitting charges?
Any reputed mechanic in Hyderabad?

regards

Last edited:

Top Bottom