Water Level in Radiator

Thread Starter #1
Hi,

In my old Wagon R, the radiator water and coolant level seemed to go down on its own. So much so that I had a coolant bottle in the house and we used to put in coolant every 15 days, just to have it drop below the low mark in that time. In the last few days I had the car, when I was to give my car away in exchange, I didn't drive it at all. Then, when I took it out to remove all the accessories before handing it over, it overheated enroute a 4-5km drive and I lost aircon. It was traced down to lack of water in the radiator and nearly 750ml went in that day (after it had cooled down of course). We gave away the car with radiator full to the brim. I sold it to the MASS when taking my Swift. The Wagon R used to drop both coolant and water levels over time on its own, even though there was no leak anywhere. Since it was preowned, I used to think this problem was on account of previous abuse.

Now in my Swift, my driver pointed out a few days ago that he had checked the water level. Checking once in a month or so, he added 250ml of water. Coolant levels are ok, in 4 months since I had the car, I haven't needed to topped off coolant.

So the question- you can call me naïve if you want but I want to a clear understanding of the systems
I always thought radiator water never needed to be checked. After all, its a closed recirculation system.
I thought we add coolant into the coolant bottle and it pumps into the radiator itself.
I have the impression that coolant is mostly rust /corrosion inhibitor and antifreeze.

If so,
1) Is my understanding of the system correct in that coolant is pumped into the radiator as required by the internal systems and that the radiator is otherwise a closed system?
2) Do you need to add coolant when adding water to the radiator?
2) If its a closed system, how can the water level drop?
3) Is there a way to drive / anything to do when parking up for the day to prevent it losing water?
4) How often do you need to check / add water. As far as I know, adding water directly into the radiator in a cold car is the only way to check the water level

Ameyam

Last edited:
No brother , you are mistaking . Your car's radiator should be filled with recommended mixture of coolant and water . It should be filled properly while engine running at that time. Extra coolant should also be filled in the reservoir upto the max mark. Do not drive your car with only water filled in radiator or your car will overheat .
Car coolant will not reduces untill there will be any leakage . If everything is ok with cooling system of the car then it sometimes only needs little topup during services.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #3
Saroya,

perhaps you didnt note- the Wagon R had no leaks and still the levels were dropping.

Noted that coolant + water mix is to be put in radiator. For my new Swift, right now there isint much of an issue. Just need to know whether the water level does drop with time, and if so why.

Ameyam

Hi,

In my old Wagon R, the radiator water and coolant level seemed to go down on its own. So much so that I had a coolant bottle in the house and we used to put in coolant every 15 days, just to have it drop below the low mark in that time. In the last few days I had the car, when I was to give my car away in exchange, I didn't drive it at all. Then, when I took it out to remove all the accessories before handing it over, it overheated enroute a 4-5km drive and I lost aircon. It was traced down to lack of water in the radiator and nearly 750ml went in that day (after it had cooled down of course). We gave away the car with radiator full to the brim. I sold it to the MASS when taking my Swift. The Wagon R used to drop both coolant and water levels over time on its own, even though there was no leak anywhere. Since it was preowned, I used to think this problem was on account of previous abuse.

Now in my Swift, my driver pointed out a few days ago that he had checked the water level. Checking once in a month or so, he added 250ml of water. Coolant levels are ok, in 4 months since I had the car, I haven't needed to topped off coolant.

So the question- you can call me naïve if you want but I want to a clear understanding of the systems
I always thought radiator water never needed to be checked. After all, its a closed recirculation system.
I thought we add coolant into the coolant bottle and it pumps into the radiator itself.
I have the impression that coolant is mostly rust /corrosion inhibitor and antifreeze.

If so,
1) Is my understanding of the system correct in that coolant is pumped into the radiator as required by the internal systems and that the radiator is otherwise a closed system?
2) Do you need to add coolant when adding water to the radiator?
2) If its a closed system, how can the water level drop?
3) Is there a way to drive / anything to do when parking up for the day to prevent it losing water?
4) How often do you need to check / add water. As far as I know, adding water directly into the radiator in a cold car is the only way to check the water level

Ameyam

There is no seperate water level in radiator. Coolant= 50%water+50%propylene glycol or 50%ethylene glycol. You are not supposed to open radiator cap you should always add distilled water in coolant reservoir if the level drop from MAX to MIN. If you were loosing so much level of coolant in your wagon R it should be a leak it may be internal leak which cannot be seen only way to see is white smoke from silencer after your car is at optimum running temperature.

1. Your understanding is correct coolant is pumped by water pump in your car engine it's constantly circulating from engine to radiator to reservoir.
2. You just need to add distilled water to your coolant reservoir not radiator.
3. You can't do anything some amount of water in coolant will loose due to extreme heat temperature of engine.
4. This system doesn't require much attention. Every service a small amount of distilled water will be added to your coolant reservoir by ASS or you can add if level is MIN.
Hope this help [:D].

Yes brother . Thanks Golu for better explanation . [clap]
One important thing: never try to open radiator cap when engine is hot(immediately after driving ) extremely hot coolant can burn your skin. Wait for some time to cool down the temperature .

Last edited:
Thread Starter #6
Yes brother . Thanks Golu for better explanation . [clap]
One important thing: never try to open radiator cap when engine is hot(immediately after driving ) extremely hot coolant can burn your skin. Wait for some time to cool down the temperature .
I know that. Its written on the radiator cap by the way. Thank you by the way

Ameyam

Only take care of level in the coolant reservoir.It should be to the level recommended. First you can fill the reservoir with coolant then top up the reservoir up with water as the coolants water evaporates once in 1 month or so. Unless there is any leakage problem you should open the radiator cap otherwise don't touch it.

Thread Starter #9
Ok, that means just to check coolant level in the coolant tank right?

As a side query, what exactly is coolant? I always thought it served as antifreeze and rust inhibitor plus that the colour served as a marker to identify any leaks. The one I had from my Wagon R time suggested to add 4:1 ration of water. What is the recommended ratio, if any, for this for top up?

Ameyam

Ok, that means just to check coolant level in the coolant tank right? As a side query, what exactly is coolant? . What is the recommended ratio.
From Swift User Manual
...This type of coolant is best for your cooling system as it:
• Helps maintain proper engine temperature.
• Gives proper protection against freezing
and boiling.
• Gives proper protection against corrosion
and rust
NOTICE
• Always use a high quality ethylene glycol base non-silicate type coolant
diluted with distilled water at the correct mixture concentration.
• Make sure that the proper mix is 50/ 50 coolant to distilled water (Diesel)
and 30/70 (Petrol). Concentrations greater than this may cause overheating conditions.
• Neither use 100% coolant nor 100% Plainwater. The mixture you use should contain
50% concentration of antifreeze.
• If the lowest ambient temperature in your area is expected to be –35°C
(–31°F) or below, use higher concentrations up to 60% following the
instructions on the antifreeze container.
• Check the coolant level at the reservoir tank, not at the radiator. With the engine
cool, the coolant level should be between the “FULL” and “LOW” marks.

Last edited:
Ok, that means just to check coolant level in the coolant tank right?

As a side query, what exactly is coolant? I always thought it served as antifreeze and rust inhibitor plus that the colour served as a marker to identify any leaks. The one I had from my Wagon R time suggested to add 4:1 ration of water. What is the recommended ratio, if any, for this for top up?

Ameyam
If coolant spilled on the floor due to leakage or during serviicing at your home , clean the area properly . Keep your children and pets away. Coolant has sweet taste, children or pets can lick accidentally .
Antifreeze poisoning: MedlinePlus Medical Encyclopedia

Last edited:
I sold it to the MASS when taking my Swift. The Wagon R used to drop both coolant and water levels over time on its own, even though there was no leak anywhere. Since it was preowned, I used to think this problem was on account of previous abuse.
Did you ever check whether abnormal amount of water was coming out of the exhaust system? Normally all petrol cars shed few water droplets, if allowed to stand idle for about five to ten minutes immediately after starting. But if the quantity of water coming out from the silencer pipe is unusually more, then it is possible that the engine has developed some defect.

Thread Starter #13
Hi rahul

Since i sold the Wagon R on, i don't need worry about it now. My queries were just to understand the systems and what i need to do to keep things in good shape

Ameyam

Top Bottom