Central Thread For Maruti Esteem Queries

Thread Starter #1

Akash1886

Honoured Member
Friends,

Maruti Esteem, one of the most popular sedan introduced by Maruti Suzuki in India. I being an owner of one, feel its like an epitome of reliability. However, its a machine after all and does require attention for many niggles. Thus, thought of starting a central thread to address the queries be it mechanical, technical or even related to tyre upgrade of the Esteem, please feel free to post it here. Resolution shall be provided in real time by experts of the forum.

Also inviting the owners of the Maruti Esteem (any generation) to come forward and share their technical experience about this car and point out the areas of Esteem that are prone to malfunction.

After reading the technical section, I did find 2 separate old thread on Esteem but they were highlighting specific issue but this thread shall encompass every aspect of the Maruti Esteem.

Looking forward for active participation and equally active resolutions to all.

Regards

Akash

Last edited:
Re: Central Thread For Maruti Esteem Queries.

Hi Akash,
Good thread, so let me be the first to post my issues. The fog lamp of my esteem has broken(its tightened with screw) went to 4 different maruthi service center. One of them said I need to change the entire assembly and it will be around 7,500. The other two said that maruthi has stopped making these parts so, cant be fixed. Any suggestions as to what can be done?

I don't believe maruthi service centers too much, as once my A/C gas was low and the A/C wasn't working well. The service engineer told me I need to change the entire A/C compressor and parts as they can't fill gas and it will cost me 10,000. I said thank you very much. Went to a local A/C shop, filled the gas for 1,200 and the A/C works perfect.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #3

Akash1886

Honoured Member

The fog lamp of my esteem has broken(its tightened with screw) went to 4 different maruthi service center. One of them said I need to change the entire assembly and it will be around 7,500. The other two said that maruthi has stopped making these parts so, cant be fixed. Any suggestions as to what can be done?
One fog lamp of my Esteem too became loose since the clamp behind the assembly gave up. 2 years ago just got it tightened from behind the bumper and till date no issues. One solution can be the tightening of the assembly with a screw.

I don't believe maruthi service centers too much, as once my A/C gas was low and the A/C wasn't working well. The service engineer told me I need to change the entire A/C compressor and parts as they can't fill gas and it will cost me 10,000. I said thank you very much. Went to a local A/C shop, filled the gas for 1,200 and the A/C works perfect.
[clap]. AC gas in Esteem doesn't end soon. I faced an issue and was told to replace compressor with a Subros one however, my Uncle decided against it and just told to get the general check up of AC done.

Regards

Akash

Arun & Akash@

Just visit the MGP store in your locality and ask for the last gen Esteem fog lamps. In case not available, tell them to check the part number and place an order. It will be available within 10days through them.
it will cost you below Rs.1250 including all the taxes for a single piece. If there is any one side only available, then also you can buy that and fix it in stock grill available in the car.
when i bought, this fog lamp assy came with metal grill and metal case, but the stock one came in the car has rubber grill and plastic casing.

The other option is check the local car accessories shop for suitable fog lamps with yellow lights or HID, which can be fixed in the stock grill. Stock one has 55W bulbs, but there is no enough light according to the watts but better than some new generation cars like Amze etc. In case you required any picture or any other information plaese inform me.

Regarding AC, from my experiance, When we top up AC gas from the local AC mechanic, they may not be know the capacity of the particular model and mostly fill an average or acording to pressure i guess. After filling gas from the local shop, many times i had to visit them again within 3-6 moths due to feeling less cooling only in noon hours.
Once i done top up from the ASS and they set some 550 gms in the gas topup machine according to service manual, instead of local shops filled some 400+ grams. This made huge difference in cooling and after this last 1.5 year i didnt faced any cooling issues.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #5

Akash1886

Honoured Member

Friends,

I would like get info on one more thing i.e how to improve cushioning in the front and rear seats. Since the car is 9 year old, the cushioning has considerably reduced over the time. Often I experience slight back pain too when seated in the car from more than 2-2.5 hours at stretch. Please suggest a viable solution to this as I need to do it asap.

Regards

Akash

The fog lamp has been tightened, so it won't fall, as you can see from the pic below,but they don't work and look out of place.Thanks for the advice Releesh. I will do as you have advised.

Akash regarding your seats if you still have the old fabric seats then it will be advisable to get art leather seats and when you get it done then you can ask them to put in extra cushions. I guess it should cost you around 5,500 - 6,500. Art leather seats give a kind of firmness that is not there in the fabric seat. I have got my seats replaced to art leather and they are easy to maintain and very comfortable. Please note, if you drive your esteem very often and for long drives then you should get it done immediately as any back ache caused by this will be recurring and can have long term effect.

Attachments

Akash, You can add foam to improve seat cushioning along with new seat cover.But i am not sure that help to reduce your back pain. Though the back support is good, I felt the seats especially rear seat is too soft and feels like sit in a sofa that to too low.

Arun, you can also get the plastic cover (in black colour) which can be fitted in the hole in case you didint get the fog lamp or removing the current one.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #8

Akash1886

Honoured Member

Akash regarding your seats if you still have the old fabric seats then it will be advisable to get art leather seats and when you get it done then you can ask them to put in extra cushions. I guess it should cost you around 5,500 - 6,500. Art leather seats give a kind of firmness that is not there in the fabric seat. I have got my seats replaced to art leather and they are easy to maintain and very comfortable. Please note, if you drive your esteem very often and for long drives then you should get it done immediately as any back ache caused by this will be recurring and can have long term effect.
Akash, You can add foam to improve seat cushioning along with new seat cover.But i am not sure that help to reduce your back pain. Though the back support is good, I felt the seats especially rear seat is too soft and feels like sit in a sofa that to too low.
Actually I have foam seat covers in my car. Leather ones get too much heated and overall cabin become quite hot. I don't drive my car actually it is rather driven by chauffeur but being a passenger, it often leads to pain. Have consulted family physician too, he took my weight and it was under normal limit as per height of 6 feet. He too suggested for placing a pillow or cushion but that gives a kind of sick feeling so will using a additional foam sheet help with existing seat cover? I mostly sit in the front passenger seat and rarely sit at back. As of the rear seat my dad too complained of the same and he's 60 years and 6 feet 1 inch. So that's why I am looking for a feasible alternative.

Regards

Akash

Akash@

the problem may be your height. Since it is a low slung sedan, you have to bend more and sitting like that for more time may be the issue. You may not feel this in a Dzire,punto,SUVs or any other MUVs due to their height and striaght sitting position.
Though i am only 5.10' height, but getting more bulkier in these days and feels same when sitting in rear seats or front left sides for more time. To get out of the car and standing after one hour journey feels difficult and need the push with hands. This will increase when my baby sit in my lap. I couldnt feel this in case i am driving the car because legs will not be resting at that time.

Thread Starter #10

Akash1886

Honoured Member

Akash@

the problem may be your height. Since it is a low slung sedan, you have to bend more and sitting like that for more time may be the issue. You may not feel this in a Dzire,punto,SUVs or any other MUVs due to their height and striaght sitting position.
Even I don't feel pain in SX4 and the CITY. By Far SX4 has been really comfortable. This is mostly with Esteem, I am also planning to check with my uncle on this and my dad's friends who do car modification and restoration. They are into upholstery customization. Being tall at times does have its down side![:)]

Pics of the front and rear seats as of now!

photo2084.jpg

photo2080.jpg

Regards

Akash

Last edited:

Even I don't feel pain in SX4 and the CITY. By Far SX4 has been really comfortable. This is mostly with Esteem,
Akash

I am quoting my words again. It is the issue with Esteem, There is no way we can avoid it. you cant feel this in Sx4, because your sitting posture is different.
Arun@

I had posted in other thread regarding Tire pressure. 32Psi is fine for tire lasting and milage, though MS recommended 28 & 26 PSi respectively. You can see it in the manual and also near driver side door.

I had checked these handrests in local shops. Most of them coming with thin plastic parts and if you press or put more weight on this, then it may bend or broke. so i didnt fixed it till now.

Last edited:

A good question by kichu, what is the recommended psi for the esteem? By the way my tires are Michelin 175/70 r13 and I maintain 32 in all tires.
i think for this Tyre 26 PSi is what is recommended as per various forums. it is also recommended that if you are doing a highway rum always maintain 1-2 PSi lesser than the company specified range. as on highways the driving speed is more compared to city, one would require more traction. that is if you over inflate the tyres. the area that comes in contact with the road would be less which is dangerous on a freeway. so if its city maintain the company specified pressure. if its highway drive maintain 1-2 psi lesser than the specified pressure. also if you over inflate the tires you will often have a bumpy ride as the tyre will bounce more on a curved surface if fully inflated.however having said this its only IMO coz there are people who say over inflating tyres on a highway run should be done. but these are my findings when done both the ways.

Last edited:

Top Bottom