Engine Swap

Thread Starter #1
Like you all know, we don't have a cheap rwd car in India. Something we can use to have some fun. Light weight cars, that has a small 1-1.5l engine. 80-100 bhp to the rear wheels.[roll]

I've had this project in my mind for quite some time now. Now, i think i have the financial support and the time to do this. I know that one needs immense knowledge when trying to do something like this. So, your suggestions are welcome and they matter.

The list of rwd cars available in India (non SUVS) are basically very short. HM Contessa, Premier 118NE and the standard 2000 being few among them.

Out of these 3, the HM Contessa, even though a brilliant chasis no matter what anyone says is to heavy and the engine needed would be a big one.
The Standard 2000. Well, Not really worth the whole pain if the stories I've heard about them are real.

So, the 118NE. I remember when i was about 10-15, my dad bought one. He loved the car back then. Never showed any signs of big trouble when we had her. Crunched a lot of distance in that car before we sold it off for the PEUGOT 309.
So, maybe i have this emotional attachment towards that car. just maybe.

The Premier 118NE's engine is a naturally aspirated petrol, 1.2 litre, overhead valve 4 cylinder with 2 valves per cylinder.
This unit develops 52 bhp (53 PS/39 kW) of power at 5600 rpm, and maximum torque of 79 Nm (58 lb·ft/8.1 kgm) at 4000 rpm.
This power is supplied to the wheels through a 4 speed manual gearbox.
The car weighs 900 kilos.

Thats a stock 118NE. Now, to make this car into the powerful and strong rwd car that i have in mind, there's a lot to be done.

To start with, the engine.
I'll need to swap the 1.2l nissan engine to something that produces a little more power and torque but it has to fit inside the 118NE engine bay. It should'nt weigh a lot more too.
After a bit of a research,
The Suzuki G13B engine which produces 100 hp(74 kW) @ 6500rpm and torque 83 ft·lb(112Nm) @ 5000rpm
The Honda d13b4 engine with 95 PS (70 kW) at 6,500 rpm and 119 N·m (12.1 kg·m; 88 lb·ft) at 4,700 rpm.
Both these engines would be able to provide the grunt i need. But would also fit into the small engine bay of the 118NE.

Ill have to use the same transmission from the Honda or the Suzuki depending on what i finally decide to put in. And that depends on what would be a better fit for this car. I already have a 1.5l honda city, and i absolutely love it. And having owned a 1.3l Honda City before this. Im in favour of the Honda. But, the Suzuki engine is lighter and would prove to be easier for the whole built.

Either of these engines will need custom mounts and brackets. Radiators and batteries will have to be moved around a little.
Need to get the accompanying wiring harness, manifolds, ECU and ancillaries, like its alternator, starter.

Rwd transplants use a driveshaft, so then custom shafts have got to be made.
A custom-length driveshaft can be made by chopping up or extending the car's original shaft using joints that are compatible with the new transmission's yoke and the existing rear end's U-joint.

Getting the accelerator and clutch pedals to communicate with the new engine and gearbox is another hassle. Getting these to work is a product of using the appropriate ECU, pedal assembly and wiring everything up right.

As the car will now be fuel injected, there has to be new fuel lines, fuel pumps etc etc.

The Intake and exhaust will have to be a custom mix of OEM parts which maybe modified or altogether a custom setup.

The suspension will also have to be a custom setup of newer OEM springs and shocks.
The brakes will need to be a completely changed.
The Cooling system and all the electrical work is yet to be planned. Probably, will have to sacrifice on AC.

Once all this is done, I am thinking of fiddling with the body a little bit to make it more balanced and maybe try and improve the quality of some parts used.

And these are all something i am not entirely clear with, hence the work has not started. One more reason is there is nothing yet made such as this that i can refer to.

I know this is a project that might not make a lot of sense, considering the cost, time and all the hassle that one has to go through.

This is a project im looking to complete in the next 2 years. Not in a hurry. Maybe by then, there are such rwd cars available in India. Here's hoping.
But the Energy that i have now, and the love for automobiles and working on them is something you only understand when your doing it. And You Only Live Once[;)]
So building your own custom car is worth it.

Need a lot of suggestions and criticism.
Cheers! [:)]

I don't have too much knowledge on such mods but will try to help as much as I can through my knowledge.

I remember few year back at my hometown Amravati, a person name Javed Mechanic was doing such project to modify Mahindra MM540 to have MS SX4 engine with full time 4 wheel drive and independent suspension for all 4 wheels. I don't have an idea about his success rate, but at that time he was able to fit the engine inside MM540 chest. May be this time I visit my hometown will visit his garage.

@RV_Verna:
Instead of taking so much pain, I'd recommend you to try turbocharging the present engine.

Adding to this, 118 NE isn't actually a car that is going to give you the true joy and in case you want some serious trouble for you, then get a Fiat T-Jet or VW 1.4 TSi engine, only a true turbocharged engine can give the true RWD joy.

These torque deficit N/A engines simply can't throw the tail out easily and what's the joy of a RWD if you can's throw your tail out?

Glued to this thread now and will plan to visit you in case I visit Bangalore or Chennai.

Rest I'd suggest you to meet some modifier, they can be of more help.

BTW, how about making an entire custom chassis, I mean entire vehicle yourself? Looking at the changes you have mentioned, I guess making even an entire vehicle yourself will cost lesser but you will face RTO issues with it.

Another option: Get a used Gypsy for dirt cheap price and swap its engine with 1.5l unit from SX-4 or with a Fiat T-Jet. Gypsy may look SUVish but is blessed with fantastic dynamics; though not like those of sedans.

Dear R V Verna,
First of all I must wish you very best of luck for your Dreamt Project of making a Car, Wow! My wishes & prayers will always be with you, if you really can start it. Actually I dream it day in and day out, hence the excitement.
The engine you have mentioned here, how will you procure them, will they be used or new? Please let me know the details about the source.
May be impractical, but My Views :
1. Please get a biggest possible N.A. engine, 2 – 2.4L will do.
2. Mount the engine as far back as possible to improve the balance of handling & cornering. You have to caulate it really cleverly. Probably you have to cut the centre console and rebuild it to accommodate the gear box.
3. Try to find longer axels otherwise build thick spacers.
4. Have to extend the fenders to fit biggest possible negetive offset rims. ( God knows how will it look ! )
Please offer me half an hour of pure pleasure, AMEN !
Regards,
ROY

Dear R V Verna,

its been 2 years since you started this thread, and that's the time you were expecting to finish your dream project.
really hoping that you have succeeded in it and enjoyed the project and ride.
me too planning a engine swap for my gypsy and during the research came across your thread, really hoping to gain some experience and tips from your project.
please do share which engine you decided and what pros and cons.
regards
vinay

Top Bottom