Jerky Ride in Maruti 800 Type-II

Thread Starter #1
Hi all,

My car is having a problem over the last 3 weeks. At times, it struggles to start. Not just cold start, but at any time. I have a habit of turning the engine off at long signals. But at random, it needs 2-3 cranks to start. The engine judders and either dies, or roars to life. This is even after driving the whole day. Also another problem, but maybe related to the existing problem, the car jerks once or twice at low RPM, especially when starting off, or just when shifting from 1st to 2nd gear, or from 2nd to 3rd gear. This also occurs at random and the car often stalls as soon as taking off from stationary. This is very annoying especially at signals when the traffic starts to move and the car just stalls right in the middle, blocking everyone behind me. The acceleration in all the gears is laboured too and not smooth at all.

MASS checked and cleaned the throttle body the first time when I showed and it seemed to be smooth for a while but in the couple of days the problem returned. Second time, got the sparkplugs gaps checked and cleaned. The sparkplugs are new. Again the problem seemed solved, but returned in a couple of days. The SA at the MASS suggested to take out the fuel tank and the fuel lines to check for any blockage.

The timing belt was changed to a new one just about 200kms ago. I haven't given the car to the MASS as yet, but in addition to checking the fuel tank and the fuel lines as suggested by the SA, is there any thing else to check for?

Thanks much!

P

EDIT: The car is a 2003 Type II with about 69500 kms on the odo.

Last edited:
Re: M800 - A jerky ride

Hi,
if you could have provided more details, like model year, odo reading etc.
anyway, from your description, i feel its just a case of clogged fuel filter, get this changed immediately, before cleaning the tank etc.
regards,
vinod

Thread Starter #3

Hi,
if you could have provided more details, like model year, odo reading etc.
anyway, from your description, i feel its just a case of clogged fuel filter, get this changed immediately, before cleaning the tank etc.
regards,
vinod
Thanks Nanofreak, I just remembered to add the details and when I opened the thread again to edit, your reply was there already!

Mine is a 2003 Type II model with about 69500 kms on the odo.

P

Last edited by a moderator:

Assuming the car filters are cleaned, these symptoms can be attributed to clutch and battery.You have not mentioned anything about clutch and battery. If the clutch is worn out,there can be some issues of judder .For starting battery can also be a culprit. MASS had checked the above ?

Thread Starter #5
Hi guys,

While checking the connections, I came across an electrical cable connecting to the distributor. It had 2 thin cables and I was told that was the cable supplying power to the engine. Upon inspecting it closely, I noticed that one of the lines in it was loose and when starting up the engine, the vibrations from the engine created a loose contact. A more intelligent friend explained that the loose connection was cutting off the power supply to the engine every now and then and that's the source of the jerky feel. While trying to figure out a way to fix it, the cable got cut off completely with only the other cable connected. Consequently, the car wouldn't start at all. I attached a few twisted strands of copper lines and connected the cable to the socket and managed to start the car. MASS just couldnt figure this problem out. While driving up to my trusted mech, I realised that there was absolutely no jerk at all and was very smooth indeed. Got the socket soldered for a permanent fix and now the car is back to normal.

While doing all this, I noticed that when recently I had got the timing belt changed, there was a metal shaving sound from near the belt area. The mech said that the timing belt was too tight and he corrected the tension. The sound went away.

Got the brake pads rubbed for more friction and changed the air filter.

All good now so far. Will test drive the car and report back.

Cheers!

P

Last edited:
Hi prajwalkashyap, i own a 1992 type 1 and had exactly the same issue some days back.
In my car problem was chocked carburettor, and distributor. See, what happens that the ignition coil (cylindrical thing in the right) provides high current to the distributor and the distributor distributes them to all the three spark plugs. There is one central high tension wire (ign coil to distributor) and 3 other high tension wires (distributor to plugs).
In my car, the central wire was worn out and a carbon inside the distributor cap was won out. so it was not able to supply the current properly, so the car was missing.
What my service advisor did is overhauled the carb, changed the high tension wire, and the carbon and changed the fuel filter. and my problem solved. Touch wood, now my car feels much more peppier to drive and very very smooth.
What i suggest you is that please replace all the high tension cords asap if you haven't done so. These cords doesn't cost much and are very dangerous things as they carry a very high voltage.
Secondly, get the distributor checked and replace the middle carbon, rotor, CB Points, condensor if required.
And replace the fuel filter.
And please dont drive on soldered cord, its dangerous.

Thread Starter #7
Hi Sumit,

Thanks for the tips. My car is a 2003 Type II MPFI model. I don't have any carb to tune but I sure have a distributor. The electric connection to the distributor was having a loose contact, so everytime there was a vibration, the contact would come loose and cut the electric supply. Hence the jerky ride. The soldering done is not on the wires, but between the wire and the jack that went into the socket and is well done. However, as per your advice, over the weekend I will still get it rechecked at the M.A.S.S. and try to get the cord replaced.

The car is now very smooth and doesn't miss a single beat.
Cheers!
P

Top Bottom