The Automotive India

The Automotive India (http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/forums/)
-   The Technical Zone (http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/forums/technical-zone/)
-   -   Tata Zest: Technical Issues & Solutions (http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/forums/technical-zone/20522-tata-zest-technical-issues-solutions.html)

slashinv 7th February 2015 02:24 PM

Tata Zest: Technical Issues & Solutions
 
Hi All ZesTAIgers

I hope some of you might have completed 1st servicing for your zest(3 months) by now. could you please share your feedback on
1.issues your reported at the time of servicing,
2.issues that were rectified by servicing
3.any software upgrades or fitment provided during first servicing for - Harman and mud-bay-issue ?
4.any imrpovement on performance , milage etc after first servicing that you noticed ?
5.overall time taken for servicing, experience and charges if any

Many thanks !

AshSingh 18th February 2015 05:17 PM

Re: Tata Zest: Technical Discussions & Solutions
 
Had completed my First Servicing on 25 Dec.
There were a few issue reported:
1. Driver Seat making squeaking noise going over bumpers .
Solution: The service guy was not able to replicate the issue and hence unresolved.
2.Engine Stalls in cold starts over a speed breaker.
Solution: ECU remap done along with the clutch adjustment. Issue hasn't occurred again.
3.Steering Wheel makes noise sometimes.
Solution: The service guy was not able to replicate the issue and hence unresolved. But now the rubbing sound is more obvious. Need to take it again.
4.Loose Panel behind the hand break.
Solution: Tightened.
5.Second gear vibration of the gear stick.
Solution: Tightened the cable under the gear stick. Still vibrations can be felt. The clutch had gone a bit hard.
6.The remote lock does not work if i leave the car unattended for ten days.
Solution: Said should not be the case. Checked the ECU , but no problem.
The issue is still there when i last left the car for 10 days.
7.Also got my engine oil/Filter changed with my money against the manual suggestion
of 1 year period.
Done mainly cause of the cast iron block used in Zest.
8. The mud entering engine bay issue was rectified by fitting another component in the bay. This took 1/2 hour itself.
Didn't get my car washed and cleaned by them after seeing the state of the clothes that they use for cleaning the car.
Billing was fast. The main service advisor , 'Sudhakar' was made to look into all the issues (I requested). I guess he is some sort of main technical guy for Tata cars.

Overall the time taken was 4 hours along with two extensive test drives one pre and one post servicing.
Money charged only for the engine oil changes along with the labour changes(2200 i guess if i remember).

Hope it helps the other owners.

roman 10th August 2015 01:16 AM

Poor Performance of Tata Zest on Inclines
 
Last week my friend and I went to mohandas motors for a test drive of tata zest's petrol version which he wanted to buy. We were expecting sizzling performance from the turbo petrol.

The experience- We started the test with my friend at the wheels. The dealership has a bow shaped bridge as the entrance. We had to stop on the incline to let a tow truck pass us. When we tried to start again my friend was really sweating to make the car move forward, finally he had to use the handbrake to move it. Since the road around this dealership is narrow and insanely busy I mentioned we should try this car on the kowdiar stretch(best road in trivandrum). The car was as swift as the wind. Again we stopped at an incline but the same scenario repeated.

I drove the car just to see if the clutch was worn out but it had good bite and felt good, the car had done just under 10k KM so a worn out clutch cannot be the culprit.

Do all zests behave like this on inclines ? Even the tata nano is way better on inclines than this car . The dealership simply stated we need to use the handbrake.
Is it because of some mechanical failure on this model or does the revetron engine behave so badly at lower rpms? I request this forum to provide me with some reasons for this

TheMotorRomeo 10th August 2015 12:17 PM

Re: Poor Performance of Tata zest on inclines
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by roman (Post 457480)
Last week my friend and I went to mohandas motors for a test drive of tata zest's petrol version which he wanted to buy. We were expecting sizzling performance from the turbo petrol.

The experience- We started the test with my friend at the wheels. The dealership has a bow shaped bridge as the entrance. We had to stop on the incline to let a tow truck pass us. When we tried to start again my friend was really sweating to make the car move forward, finally he had to use the handbrake to move it. Since the road around this dealership is narrow and insanely busy I mentioned we should try this car on the kowdiar stretch(best road in trivandrum). The car was as swift as the wind. Again we stopped at an incline but the same scenario repeated.

I drove the car just to see if the clutch was worn out but it had good bite and felt good, the car had done just under 10k KM so a worn out clutch cannot be the culprit.

Do all zests behave like this on inclines ? Even the tata nano is way better on inclines than this car . The dealership simply stated we need to use the handbrake.
Is it because of some mechanical failure on this model or does the revetron engine behave so badly at lower rpms? I request this forum to provide me with some reasons for this


One of my friend owns one. He has gone to kodaikanal and did not experience any such thing.
Yes, it will not be as good as a diesel on the hills/incline.
But there was no such issues as you have reported.

TSIVipul 10th August 2015 12:35 PM

Re: Poor Performance of Tata Zest on Inclines
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by roman (Post 457480)
Last week my friend and I went to mohandas motors for a test drive of tata zest's petrol version which he wanted to buy. We were expecting sizzling performance from the turbo petrol.

The experience- We started the test with my friend at the wheels. The dealership has a bow shaped bridge as the entrance. We had to stop on the incline to let a tow truck pass us. When we tried to start again my friend was really sweating to make the car move forward, finally he had to use the handbrake to move it. Since the road around this dealership is narrow and insanely busy I mentioned we should try this car on the kowdiar stretch(best road in trivandrum). The car was as swift as the wind. Again we stopped at an incline but the same scenario repeated.

I drove the car just to see if the clutch was worn out but it had good bite and felt good, the car had done just under 10k KM so a worn out clutch cannot be the culprit.

Do all zests behave like this on inclines ? Even the tata nano is way better on inclines than this car . The dealership simply stated we need to use the handbrake.
Is it because of some mechanical failure on this model or does the revetron engine behave so badly at lower rpms? I request this forum to provide me with some reasons for this

Sirji what you observed is normal for Zest.

The culprit is the puny 1.2l engine trying to propel a heavy car and hence at low revs; its simply devoid of power.
I still remember that I had not many good words to say about the performance of Zest after TDing one; the reason was same. The performance is not at par to what one expects from a turbo petrol engine but then this one is an old block with turbo added, nothing like the high tech TSi engines.

roman 10th August 2015 08:44 PM

Re: Tata Zest: Technical Discussions & Solutions
 
Is it really this bad ? If any member owns a petrol zest please share their experience. Our test drive vehicle was almost a slug on inclines. Even old maruti 800s and tata nano did better than this. That cat could not climb even the smallest of hills in third gear. If this is true for all cars then this engine will be a dodo in no time. The engine really leaped in mid range but was absolutely useless in the low range. It's only after 2500 rpm we could feel this car had an engine. Zest is no Skoda VRS but can tata be so stupid in making this engine ?

Godfather 11th August 2015 11:29 AM

Re: Tata Zest: Technical Discussions & Solutions
 
Hi Roman,

I had a chance of doing a TD of Zest Revotron few days back from Mohandas and I did cross this bow shaped bridge. Didn't face any issues as reported by you, no idea what exactly happened to the vehicle during your TD.

roman 11th August 2015 12:03 PM

Re: Tata Zest: Technical Discussions & Solutions
 
That means the test drive vehicle is faulty. My friend will stay miles away from this car just to be on the safer side.

furious_driver 11th August 2015 12:47 PM

Re: Tata Zest: Technical Discussions & Solutions
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by roman (Post 457645)
That means the test drive vehicle is faulty. My friend will stay miles away from this car just to be on the safer side.

[surprise] Seriously? Staying miles away because of some unknown reason? Just go ahead and do another TD before concluding something like this. As TSI mentioned, the Zest is much heavier than other CS and with puny 1.2L, it will indeed struggle to climb inclines. But not so bad, like you mentioned. Even my Xcent 1.2 struggles at inclines with full load, but I can't blame it!!

Based on reviews I read, I can safely assume that it should be an issue with the TD car.

Please answer this queries. So we can have better idea on circumstances!!!

1. What was the load on the car?
2. Degree of the incline?
3. Did you tried it by switching off the A/C or with A/C?

Godfather 11th August 2015 01:36 PM

Re: Tata Zest: Technical Discussions & Solutions
 
Infact there are many people who own Zest and drives regularly on hilly regions. Have not come across any forums with the above mentioned issue. Probably the car was due for some servicing and might have caused this issue.

roman 11th August 2015 04:47 PM

Re: Tata Zest: Technical Discussions & Solutions
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by furious_driver (Post 457656)
[surprise] Seriously? Staying miles away because of some unknown reason? Just go ahead and do another TD before concluding something like this. As TSI mentioned, the Zest is much heavier than other CS and with puny 1.2L, it will indeed struggle to climb inclines. But not so bad, like you mentioned. Even my Xcent 1.2 struggles at inclines with full load, but I can't blame it!!

Based on reviews I read, I can safely assume that it should be an issue with the TD car.

Please answer this queries. So we can have better idea on circumstances!!!

1. What was the load on the car?
2. Degree of the incline?
3. Did you tried it by switching off the A/C or with A/C?

The car had three passengers including myself,my friend and a sales executive from the dealership none of us were really overweight

Degree of incline- should be around 15-20 degrees.

AC- We turned it off when the car really struggled.

furious_driver 11th August 2015 05:00 PM

Re: Tata Zest: Technical Discussions & Solutions
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by roman (Post 457692)
The car had three passengers including myself,my friend and a sales executive from the dealership none of us were really overweight

Degree of incline- should be around 15-20 degrees.

AC- We turned it off when the car really struggled.

As I already suggested, try another TD at some other showroom! On the same scenario, my Xcent can easily manage to go. So I guess TCéd Zest should do better! Just give it another try, will you?

AshSingh 11th August 2015 08:19 PM

Re: Tata Zest: Technical Discussions & Solutions
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by roman (Post 457692)
The car had three passengers including myself,my friend and a sales executive from the dealership none of us were really overweight

Degree of incline- should be around 15-20 degrees.

AC- We turned it off when the car really struggled.

Not sure about the condition of the TD vehicle which you got. But being the owner and driven it for 12k (RT) i havent found any difficulty as such in normal inclines. Have gone to OOTY where elite i20 before me was struggling big time. So no issues from my side.

kishore108 20th February 2016 02:40 PM

Re: Tata Zest: Technical Discussions & Solutions
 
sorry to bump into an old thread

I have mentioned this in the official zest thread

But this is serious, my zest xms petrol did 730 kms till date and its struggling on inclines. The a.c is off, but still the car is struggling on few flyovers and small inclines. I find the clutch to be not powerful enough to handle the inclines.

Its peppy on plains but even in the slightest inclines including road undulations I need to rev the car while picking up on inclines.

Not sure what to do with this thing.

AshSingh 26th February 2016 09:02 AM

Re: Tata Zest: Technical Discussions & Solutions
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by kishore108 (Post 488461)
sorry to bump into an old thread

I have mentioned this in the official zest thread

But this is serious, my zest xms petrol did 730 kms till date and its struggling on inclines. The a.c is off, but still the car is struggling on few flyovers and small inclines. I find the clutch to be not powerful enough to handle the inclines.]

Its peppy on plains but even in the slightest inclines including road undulations I need to rev the car while picking up on inclines.

Not sure what to do with this thing.

Well i haven't faced any incline climbing issues as yet , but if you want you can go to the service center and ask them to look into the issue. They might adjust the clutch settings for you. Are you facing stalling issues as well?[confused]


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 11:29 PM.

Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.
©2008 - 2017, The Automotive India. All Rights Reserved.