Maruti Swift VDi (2012) EPS Light Remains On

Thread Starter #1
My 2012 Swift VDi has started displaying the EPS light even after starting. The light first came up after I started the car after a week of inactivity. However, the EPS light comes up intermittently, sometimes at cold starts in the morning or after a long drive and shut down and restart.
I had shown it to MASS earlier and the error code registered was C1113. The SA cleared the code up after tightening couple of fuse sockets and since the last few weeks it was fine until last week it shows up again. [frustration]
Had to start and shutdown the car a couple of times before it finally went away.
The car had an under warranty replacement of water pump a couple of months back. The pump bearings failed and were producing noise, hence it was replaced along with coolant. Not sure if its related. My guess was maybe rats chewed up the sensor wires, or there might be some loose connections.
Kindly help!
Request to Mods: I had posted the same in the Swift : Technical Issue & Sultions thread, but did not get any response hence, posting the same as a new thread.

Last edited:
Does this affect the steering feel in anyway? Because in our 6 yrs old estilo the steering would become hard suddenly and after some time of use it became normal again. Took it to MASS they tightened the fuse sockets, replaced the fuse and the problem was gone for the next 7 days we drove before selling it off. If it doesnot affect the steering feel it must be a sensor malfunction.

Better to take to ASS.
Problem may be due to-
1.ECU error
2.EPS problems due to motor sensor complaints.

Solutions- Reprogramming the software will definitely solve the error,but if problem repeats,then the job will be worse.

Thread Starter #4
The issue was as soon as the EPS light came on, the steering was rock hard. But after switching the car on and off multiple times, the light used to vanish and the steering was feather light again. The issue only cropped up when the car was stationary. The OBD dongle also doesn't seem to capture the error code. The problem has never resurfaced when the OBD dongle is connected. I'm yet to take it to MASS again. Currently I'm tied up with some personal as well as professional commitment, hence couldn't spare time to revisit MASS.

My 2012 Swift VDi has started displaying the EPS light even after starting. The light first came up after I started the car after a week of inactivity. However, the EPS light comes up intermittently, sometimes at cold starts in the morning or after a long drive and shut down and restart.
I had shown it to MASS earlier and the error code registered was C1113. The SA cleared the code up after tightening couple of fuse sockets and since the last few weeks it was fine until last week it shows up again. [frustration]
Had to start and shutdown the car a couple of times before it finally went away.
The car had an under warranty replacement of water pump a couple of months back. The pump bearings failed and were producing noise, hence it was replaced along with coolant. Not sure if its related. My guess was maybe rats chewed up the sensor wires, or there might be some loose connections.
Kindly help!
Request to Mods: I had posted the same in the Swift : Technical Issue & Sultions thread, but did not get any response hence, posting the same as a new thread.
Hi GoldenFox,

I got the same issue/error (C1113 - P/S Motor and fail-safe PET turned off.) code on my 2012 Ertiga VDI. The issue was keep repeating after MSS tightened steering column coupler which was suspected as the cause of the issue. But after 7days the issue reoccurred again last week. After MSS kept the car for 5 days, Today I got my car back with no fix or what so ever. I was being told that my battery is weak and have to replace with the new battery which may resolve the issue. I haven't got the new battery installed yet.

The mean time if you find any 'real' solution, Please let me know.

Regards
Prabhu

Last edited:
Thread Starter #6
Prabhu,
Did they check the condition of your battery. Mine seem to be going strong even as it is nearing 3 years. I check the battery voltage regularly via OBD dongle. But what has perplexed me is that the OBD dongle doesn't seem to capture the error. Also, the error along with hardening of steering wheel is only encountered when the car is standing still. I fear what would happen if this is encountered during my normal commute.
I'm delaying my visit to MASS due to official commitments but would soon take it for a diagnosis.
Would let you know if this is resolved.

Prabhu,
Did they check the condition of your battery. Mine seem to be going strong even as it is nearing 3 years. I check the battery voltage regularly via OBD dongle. But what has perplexed me is that the OBD dongle doesn't seem to capture the error. Also, the error along with hardening of steering wheel is only encountered when the car is standing still. I fear what would happen if this is encountered during my normal commute.
I'm delaying my visit to MASS due to official commitments but would soon take it for a diagnosis.
As for the issue,this is serious. This can be a sensor error which needs to be traced down.There may be a problem with the Power steering itself.Immediate MASS visit is the best option.

bhvm

Honoured Member
This happens due to weak battery where the sensors don't get enough voltage.
In some of my cars, the ABS and (P) Lights also come on when battery is not used for 2 weeks. Get the battery charged and check again.

Prabhu,
Hi,

Checked my battery it shows 12.3 volt without any load. dead battery voltage would be 11.50 to 10.50. I yet to check with voltage while cranking and raising RPM and check alternator charging properly.

For me also it's happing only when start from standstill. can't imagine what if happens while running [evil] . I will keep you updated further.

- Prabhu

Top Bottom