Steering Box Oil

Thread Starter #1
I'm trying to change the oil and the bottom seal/gasket of the steering box of my Maruti Omni as it seems that it went as I can see dark sticky oil. Does anyone have an idea of what oil I should use ? is it same as the transmission ?Thanks

Akash1886

Honoured Member
Does anyone have an idea of what oil I should use ? is it same as the transmission ?
With little bit of know how that I have on this, transmission oil is the gear oil and cannot be used as steering oil in Maruti. Steering oil is of a different grade i.e Something like DOT 3, DOT 4. You can do one thing, on the steering oil container, it might be mentioned as to which oil can be used.

Regards

Akash

Thread Starter #4
I will take a good look at the box and see if there is any number. Regarding the seal which is fitted with 3 bolts where there is the adjusting bolt and nut is it safe to remove and change the seal?

Thread Starter #6
I hope you aren't doing it all by yourself. Kindly take professional assistance.
I was about to do it if ever I could and its an easy job but depends on what ever will come out when that plate is removed. [thinking]

Last edited by a moderator:

Top Bottom