Gears Hard When Engine is Cold. Why???

Thread Starter #1
Recently I have observed a very strange behaviour in the gears of my NHC ( 8yrs-35k run )
When engine is colder like during my morning commute the 1st and 2nd gears are harder to engage
After the car has run a bit the gears become smoother.

The GB oil was replaced about 5k back .
What can be the reason for this

Akash1886

Honoured Member
Re: gears hard when engine is cold Why ????

When engine is colder like during my morning commute the 1st and 2nd gears are harder to engage
After the car has run a bit the gears become smoother.

What can be the reason for this
Normal I say, its because of the viscosity of the gear oil. Lower the temperature higher is the viscosity. With rise in temperature the viscosity gradually reduces hence gears become smooth.

Regards

Akash

When engine is colder like during my morning commute the 1st and 2nd gears are harder to engage. After the car has run a bit the gears become smoother.

The GB oil was replaced about 5k back
Is it the issue only with 1st & 2nd gears? Have you tried engaging other gears after cold start? If the issue is reported for all gears, I doubt the oil quantity. Both excess & insufficient quantity will affect the gear slotting.

Maybe you can personally have the gear oil changed! I use to have a prob with my Swift petrol when new,but it was almost once in a while even when car has run,i remember sitting in a posh place blocking the driveway while cars honked for a good 20 sec's cos my car would not engage first gear.

But yes,maybe this gear behaviour is common during cold mornings until oils flow about & lubricate. I faced this issue only when engaging between 1st & 2nd,but yes even i notice this when my car is parked in temps below 18 Celsius.

Thread Starter #6
problem is faced 1 2 gears only.not in others
Genuine honda oil was used 6 months back

acc to another forum members this thing is normal and is faced in all cars

Top Bottom