Maruti Omni Valve Adjustment

Thread Starter #1
Hi all I do own a 1996 Maruti Omni and my mechanic will adjust the engine valves. Does anyone knows the size they need to be adjusted or if possible where can I get the engine manual. I'm not from India so its difficult for me to get some things. Thanks in advance.

Thread Starter #3
Re: Valve Adjustment

It started to make a noise and it makes more when I accelerate .I asked my mechanic what it could be and he told me that they are the engine valves which they can be adjusted to reduce the noise.

Excessive carbon buildup in the combustion chambers and on the tops of the pistons. This is usually more of an issue with older, high mileage engines or vehicles that are only driven for short trips and never fully warm up. Treating the engine with a dose of top cleaner or a fuel system additive that also removes carbon from the combustion chamber can usually clears this up

Can you explain what kind of sound? does the sound comes at high revs or at which gears? how many kms the car has done?

Thread Starter #5

Excessive carbon buildup in the combustion chambers and on the tops of the pistons. This is usually more of an issue with older, high mileage engines or vehicles that are only driven for short trips and never fully warm up. Treating the engine with a dose of top cleaner or a fuel system additive that also removes carbon from the combustion chamber can usually clears this up

I guess my mechanic did this already and changed the fuel filter as well as I remember he removed the air filter and sprayed something inside.

Can you explain what kind of sound? does the sound comes at high revs or at which gears? how many kms the car has done?
The sound looks like something hitting something and increase when revs and accelerate as at first I thought its the radiator fan or belt but when i asked the mechanic he said they are the valves. Regarding the kms I will let you know later Thanks.

Adjusting the valve clearances at service intervals is essential maintenance and should be done irrespective. Will improve starting, pickup, performance, power and reduce valve chatter.

Thread Starter #8

Yes thats is but we need to know the valve clearances is there a way where we can get that?

Yes thats is but we need to know the valve clearances is there a way where we can get that?
Hope you are using your Omni in India and not in Malta!. As you may be knowing adjusting the tappets is not just another easy DIY job and requires some proficiency in dealing with the engine components. IMHO it is better to get it done from an authorized Maruti Service centre, you can find one in almost every nuke and corner in the country.

Thread Starter #10

Hope you are using your Omni in India and not in Malta!. As you may be knowing adjusting the tappets is not just another easy DIY job and requires some proficiency in dealing with the engine components. IMHO it is better to get it done from an authorized Maruti Service centre, you can find one in almost every nuke and corner in the country.
I'm not in India as I mentioned above and the job will be done by my mechanic. The thing is that the program he have for adjusting the valves is for the Maruti 800 and we aren't sure its same for the Omni

I'm not in India as I mentioned above and the job will be done by my mechanic. The thing is that the program he have for adjusting the valves is for the Maruti 800 and we aren't sure its same for the Omni
The tappets on an OHC engine are usually adjusted by placing shims of a predetermined size under them.
That is a job best left to a garage which has a micrometer for measuring shims.Please see image for tappet shims. Usually Hydraulic tappets are self adjusting. i believe Maruti Omni has a OHC overhead camshaft engine. So it needs adjusting i shall try to get the service manual to get valve clearance specifications not sure if i have it. Actually what did u mean by a program for adjusting valve clearance it is done manually.Take it to a good known mechanic.Software program is for hooking to laptop for engine error codes and diagnosis and not valve adjustment.

Attachments

Last edited:

Old Maruti 800 and Omni shares the same Suzuki F8B engine!!. Only the later versions of 800 have a different engine!. Have a look at these posts 1, 2. Such information shall be available in "Omni Workshop manual", which may be hard to find online. You may PM the members in the quoted posts if you need a quick solution.

Thread Starter #13

The tappets on an OHC engine are usually adjusted by placing shims of a predetermined size under them.
That is a job best left to a garage which has a micrometer for measuring shims.Please see image for tappet shims. Usually Hydraulic tappets are self adjusting. i believe Maruti Omni has a OHC overhead camshaft engine. So it needs adjusting i shall try to get the service manual to get valve clearance specifications not sure if i have it. Actually what did u mean by a program for adjusting valve clearance it is done manually.Take it to a good known mechanic.Software program is for hooking to laptop for engine error codes and diagnosis and not valve adjustment.
What I mean is the mackanic have a program which tells him the manual settings for such things like what kind of gear oil ecc ...and for Maruti it only displays Maruti 800. It would be great if you can find it Thanks allot.

Top Bottom