Hyundai Eon: Increasing Ground Clearance

Thread Starter #1
Hi TAI-gers...
This is my 1st post (actually its a query and I need your inputs).
I own a Hyundai Eon DLite+, bought in Feb2013, done 7500kms on odo [embarass]. As you can see, my usage is very limited.

The only problem I have with this vehicle is the belly scrapping when 4 people are seated in the car, thanks to Bangalore's uneven road-humps [frustration]. I guess there are at-least 100 different varieties of road-humps in Bangalore. Although I try to take the crossed approach to avoid the belly scrapping, but that is practically not possible every-time.

So, my query here is, apart from tyre-upsizing, is there any other viable method to eliminate this problem (if not eliminate, at-least minimize). Are those after-market adjusters available, which supposedly increases the ground clearance advisable for use. I don't have a particular name or brand to provide here. But, when I had last visited a wheel-alignment center (couple of months ago), the owner was explaining a particular product to one of his customers which he was stating that increases the distance between the belly of the car and the road below and also provides more stable braking system.

Please advise me if these fittings are ok to go ahead, or changing the wheels is the best option (I don't have enough Vitamin-M for changing wheels as of now)

Re: Increasing ground clearance

Hi Aswhin,

An easy and cost effective method is to use spring cushions. Those rubber cushion can be inserted into the coil spring which will helps in reducing the belly scrapping issue.

Have a look in to this LINK for information[:)]

Regards.,

Thread Starter #3

Hi Kichu....
thanks a lot for pointing me to that link. Now I have the idea of what to do. I will try contacting Mr.Darryl

If we had someone to take on these illegal speedbreakers and sue the people who put them there it would be the ideal solution. Unfortunately we don't have a strong AA in the country and litigation is beyond the means of most individuals.

Thread Starter #5
Hi Kichu...
That link helped me. I contacted Mr.Darryl and ordered a pair of adjusters for the rear springs.
I am thinking of doing some traveling post installation of the adjusters in the rear springs and then take a call for the front ones. What do you think ?... is it necessary to have a pair for the front too ? Or, will the rear ones suffice ?

Tire upsizing is the safe bet for GC increase.

I wouldn't recommend a coil spring adjusters (atleast for entry level car)

Adding these spacers not only affect the performance / life of the spring, also they do put more load to the body structure (input force to body will get increased) Cars now-a-days are made to cost and we aren't sure about the factor of safety of each and every part / system. Body structure damage is irreversible (to OE spec)

What ever I put above is considering the worst case and a word of caution. Please be informed about the impact (again worst case) before trying out something.

PS: OEMs do respect customer's voice and if the solution discussed here is optimal / favorable, coil spring adjusters should have become a OE fitment / accessory. When that is not the case, understand something is wrong with this solution.

Thread Starter #7
Tire upsizing is the safe bet for GC increase.

I wouldn't recommend a coil spring adjusters (atleast for entry level car)

Adding these spacers not only affect the performance / life of the spring, also they do put more load to the body structure (input force to body will get increased) Cars now-a-days are made to cost and we aren't sure about the factor of safety of each and every part / system. Body structure damage is irreversible (to OE spec)

What ever I put above is considering the worst case and a word of caution. Please be informed about the impact (again worst case) before trying out something.

PS: OEMs do respect customer's voice and if the solution discussed here is optimal / favorable, coil spring adjusters should have become a OE fitment / accessory. When that is not the case, understand something is wrong with this solution.
Hi Boss...
Thank you for your straight-forward reply. I was always in dilemma whether to go for this or not. But then, I saw lot of people opting for this and getting good results. I agree that if this solution was viable one, then manufacturers would have included it in their production design.

I am going by the risk that I do not use my vehicle much. My use is pretty much occasional. Hence I feel I should not have the impact so early.

Thanks once again

An easy and cost effective method is to use spring cushions. Those rubber cushion can be inserted into the coil spring which will helps in reducing the belly scrapping issue.
It can be easy & cost effective, but will it not jeopardize the cushioning effect of coil springs ( in short, will not affect the suspension of the car) ?

Thread Starter #9

It can be easy & cost effective, but will it not jeopardize the cushioning effect of coil springs ( in short, will not affect the suspension of the car) ?
But will increase the distance between the car belly and the road below...right ? That is my only necessity, as 3 out of 4 members in my house are on the heavier side (except my wife [;)])

will it not jeopardize the cushioning effect of coil springs ( in short, will not affect the suspension of the car) ?
It DOES.

In simple,
- final stiffness curve will be steep (which is nothing but the net stiffness will be on the higher side)
- damping characteristics will get reduced (shocks will be transferred inside the cabin)
- Ride & handling characteristics will deteriorate.

I am going by the risk that I do not use my vehicle much.
But will increase the distance between the car belly and the road below...right ? That is my only necessity
When your need is addressed with this modification, you can go ahead. But do keep an eye after you install the coil spring adjusters.
- Possibility of dirt / mud accumulation between the spring & rubber is high
- this will start removing the paint from spring (by scratches)
- Corrosion is the worst enemy

Last edited by a moderator:
PS: Avoid posting back-to-back posts, use multi-quote option instead (Refer below link)
http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/forums/announcements/4892-using-quote-multi-quote-function-thread.html
Boss, sorry to point out this [;)]

I noted time between your posts exceeds 10 min, while time is less than 10 min where you pointed out this. But we amateurs rarely get such very closely timed occasion to fire post against seniors / boss like you. So posted just in light mood. (Mod, you can delete this post if seem inappropriate.)

Boss, sorry to point out this [;)]

I noted time between your posts exceeds 10 min, while time is less than 10 min where you pointed out this. But we amateurs rarely get such very closely timed occasion to fire post against seniors / boss like you. So posted just in light mood. (Mod, you can delete this post if seem inappropriate.)
I knew it and my own post was reported to Mods already (immediately after posting) as I faced some issues in my office laptop browser, edit button wasn't working.[cry]

Last edited:
Thread Starter #13
When your need is addressed with this modification, you can go ahead. But do keep an eye after you install the coil spring adjusters.
- Possibility of dirt / mud accumulation between the spring & rubber is high
- this will start removing the paint from spring (by scratches)
- Corrosion is the worst enemy
Hi Boss...
I cancelled the order of the adjusters after I read your concern about the shock getting in to the cabin post installing the adjusters. My parents are the passenger seat occupants, and they cannot take more shocks than what is already existing. So I opted out of the setting.

Mr. Darryl is a gentleman businessman. He agreed to return the amount to my account without any fuss.[clap]

I cancelled the order
Ashwin, sorry if I misguided you.
I feel you should have got it and tried to understand if it really helps you. What I posted is the science / engineering behind this setup and from my own experience on another car. I still stand on my words, adding the spacers will transmit the peak load (shock) into the cabin through transfer path (wheel --> axle --> spring & spacer --> body structure) but the magnitude depends on the characteristics of the spacer and body structure.

Top Bottom