Chevrolet Enjoy: Engine Replaced Under Warranty @ 30K Kms Service

Thread Starter #1
Engine replaced under warranty on 30,000 kilometers periodical service.

Reason :- Oil level dropped down to nil when I was on a 1700 kilometers road trip(Trivandrum - Thrissur - Velankanni/topslip/parambikulam).

I was on my way to velankanni when i felt underpowered when the throttle is floored. When I was cruising at a speed of 100+ KMPH , I had to slow down the vehicle by applying break. Then when I pushed on the accelerator I felt a terrific loss of power and the check engine light started glowing. Soon i pulled over to the nearest restaurant to have breakfast. it is then I noticed the place is near to oddanchatram a remote area. We had breakfast we sand bagged until the engine cooled down. Checked the dipstick, boy I had butterflies in my stomach. Absolutely no stain of oil in the dipstick!!!!

The time was around 9 am then and I called up the service center guy whom I trust in DEEDI Chevrolet Trivandrum. Explained the situation (I have covered 28K kilometers then when I started the trip. before the trip I had called and informed the trusted service guy that I am ready to do 30K in 28K, but the service guy told me that please come after 30K). The service guy asked me for a thorough checkup and I found oil stains near to turbo hose. He asked me to to up the engine oil level with any oil available in grade 5W30 , probably 1 liter will do.

That place was remote but Town to town non stop buses plying between Palani and Dindigual helped me to reach Dindigual fast. Thanks to TNSTC. But the sad part is there is no Chevy showroom in Dindigual. After few enquirers I managed to find a good oil shop near Dindigual town fly over and bought a can 3.5 liters of Agip 5W30 and returned to the vehicle in bus.

I had to top up till 3 liters of 3.5 litre can to make sure the check engine light goes off. and continued the journey to Velankanni. i also touched a max speed of 140 KMPH in speed camera less Tamil Nadu 4 lane roads.

Attended the evening Tamil mass and slept in a good hotel and by 4 am next day we started back to Trivandrum via Thrissur. In between we also had an awesome time at Top-slip and Parambikulam.

A day later I reached Trivandrum and handed over the vehicle for 30,000 kilometers periodical service. My concerns are listed below

1. Need an explanation for the drastic decrease in oil level

2. Irritating breaking sound (i have already got my break pads and rotors replaced under warranty before)

3. what was the error code for check engine ?

The trusted service guy called me the next day and updated me that they had changed the hoses which carry the oil because they found some block and I replied okay. He also told me that he need some time to diagnose the vehicle. I replied Its all yours take your own time.

Two days later he again called me saying that they have replaced the oil pumb/motor under warranty as they found malfunction on the it. He also told me that the error code was for under compression. I replied make sure it won't happen again. He acknowledged that the testing is in process to ensure it wont happen again.

Two days later my trusted service guy called me and informed me to visit the vehicle and the next day morning and I went there. I was surprised to see a brand new virgin engine plonked in while the car is in service bay. The service guy showed me the oil level and confirmed that the engine is not yet fired. The oil color was green and confirmed that the engine is brand new. Checked the newly embossed engine number under the exhaust manifold and i broke the virginity of the brand new engine by cranking it for first time.

The service guy told me that they need to do few more things along with 50 kilometers test run. 2 days later i received the vehicle with brand new engine and the bill was 2200 INR(final bill not yet come). The cost of the engine 165000 INR is waved off.

Now the Engine is in break in period. i just completed 250 kilometers. Guys please advise me how to drive/use the vehicle with a break in period engine plonked to it.

Guys using our national diesel engine made by Fiat. I would request you to check the turbo for any kind of oil stains.

Re: Chevrolet Enjoy :- Engine replaced under warranty @ 3000kilometers periodical ser

Hi..
Thanks for the update. Was the process smooth ? How many days did they take to replace the engine.

Do we have to pay for the consumables ? Please post some pics..
For my car probably they would replace the gear box, since my batch cars had few issues with GB.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #3
Sorry for the delay in replying Varun. The process was entirely smooth with no knit picks from my side. Since the new engine was readily available the process from their side took 3 days but I gave an other 4 more days to the SA to test the vehicle.

What is the gearbox issue you face ?

Have you ever checked for rust under the roof line ?

BTW my Enjoy just completed 4000 kilometers after the engine swap. The vehicle seems to be fine now but I have lost the faith in Chevy for durability. Now constantly keeping an eye on the various parts under the hood, especially on turbo hose.

I also heard that there is a replacement Jackie coming for all the enjoys. have any one started receiving the new Jakie as the one came with the vehicle is non usable.

Thread Starter #4
Completed 50000 Kilometers now and the enjoy is in service station now. Had a minor leak on the turbo hose and all the 3 turbo hoses are now replaced under warranty now. The error code recorded was for under boost. It took 2 weeks for the new components to arrive. Also both the headlights are changed due to the same old fog issue. I have also opted for extended warranty now. Looking forward to receive the vehicle after service, first thing tomorrow morning.

bhvm

Honoured Member
Mate, You're lucky to have everything done somoothly and an entire new engine plonked on without much fuss.

On the side note, Please refrain from Doing such high speeds 140~160Kmph in Enjoy. Its still a van and Its not built for all that speed. Maybe you're overheating the Turbo or some component at such speeds and causing issue.

mayankdixit

Honoured Member
Its very mysterious,or am I missing something. An engine swap ,just like that. Sure there is something to hide from Chevrolet.It doesn't add up.What went wrong in the first place requiring such hush- hush engine swap.Definitely there is more to this story than what we gather from this post.

Its very mysterious,or am I missing something. An engine swap ,just like that. Sure there is something to hide from Chevrolet.It doesn't add up.What went wrong in the first place requiring such hush- hush engine swap.Definitely there is more to this story than what we gather from this post.
Even I too had the same doubt!! When I read it, I thought I was dreaming! Or the OP should have known someone at Chevvy!! Otherwise this is impossible. I believe OP is hiding something, or his "trusted" SA is hiding something from him.

Whoa man how can one replace engine????
Something is bad here. At max they overhaul engine at free of cost. Please investigate what happened at showroom. How coolly they replaced engine!! But at end you got a New engine so no issue but it might affect resale value!! Do you changed engine number on RC??

Even I too had the same doubt!! When I read it, I thought I was dreaming! Or the OP should have known someone at Chevvy!! Otherwise this is impossible. I believe OP is hiding something, or his "trusted" SA is hiding something from him.
Whoa man how can one replace engine????
Something is bad here. At max they overhaul engine at free of cost. Please investigate what happened at showroom. How coolly they replaced engine!! But at end you got a New engine so no issue but it might affect resale value!! Do you changed engine number on RC??
This is a know issue in Enjoy. There are many Enjoys with engine replacement. You find even multiple engine replacement in the same Enjoy! This 'no questions asked' engine replacement policy is apparently chalked down to silent recall by Chevy. Since the engine is the same MJD which is used in almost all Indian cars, the problem lies with Chevy's other parts connected to Engine and not the engine itself.

This is a know issue in Enjoy. There are many Enjoys with engine replacement. You find even multiple engine replacement in the same Enjoy! This 'no questions asked' engine replacement policy is apparently chalked down to silent recall by Chevy. Since the engine is the same MJD which is used in almost all Indian cars, the problem lies with Chevy's other parts connected to Engine and not the engine itself.
That was stupid solution. Instead of finding root cause and fixing it, replacing engine is just stupid. Although I appreciate Chevvy for polite recall and repeated engine replacement, but this shouldn't be the final solution. In China, GM sells the same car in huge numbers. And I guess those car don't have the same issue. How? Because GM sells close to ~150k cars(I read somewhere) in a year and replacing engine in half of them is even a loss for them.

But anyway, thanks for clearing the air.

Top Bottom