Mahindra Scorpio M-Hawk: Engine Starting Issue

Thread Starter #1
Hello everyone,

I am hoping that this thread would bring me much needed help and answers to what seems to be a never ending issue that has popped up in my Scorpio M-Hawk.

To give you all a brief of whats happening - "Random starting problems,fails to startup"

Before i could go in detail let me introduce my Hawk

Mahindra Scorpio - M Hawk Refresh 2WD
Variant - Vlx BS3 w/o Airbag
Model - Nov 2009
ODO Reading - 75,000 KM
Battery - 5 month old recommended spec Exide
Usage - Only on weekends & long runs

The Issue -

It happened about 4 months back , i try to start the vehicle one evening (which was not started for 3 days) and the vehicle fails to start up . The vehicle does something like half a crank and stops . I turn off the key and try again and it starts the 3 time.

The issue escalates over the next few days and the vehicle fails to start completely one fine day. Mechanic comes over with his spare battery and connects it to the existing battery and the vehicles fires up immediately.

The mechanic suggests that the battery be checked (5 month old battery) which is done and it seems to be perfect .Next was to get the starter motor serviced and the starter solenoid switch replaced . The issue disappeared once this was done and everything seemed good for a month.

One fine day the issue is back . Again the starter motor is serviced , starter solenoid switch replaced. The vehicle was fine for a week and then the issue pops up again . The mechanic says that it is a issue with the -ve of the starter motor and then grounds the starter motor with another cable and the vehicle starts.

All is fine for another 3 days and AGAIN !!

This time i try to start it for 4 times and the 5th time i slightly depress the accelerator and it starts . The same thing the next day .

Points to be noted -
- I manually lock and unlock the vehicle since my remote is broken.
- Micro hybrid stopped working an year back and i have since left it as it is.
- Once the vehicle starts up there is no issues for the rest of the day.
- Issue seems to come alive after vehicle is stopped for a long time eg. overnight, 2/3 days.
- When i describe it as fails to start , the engine goes for half a turn and then stops , it is like something is preventing the engine from firing up. The engine does not keep turning or seem to struggle to fire up.

I know this thread is long and boring , but i have tried my best to explain the scenario and would much appreciate your valuable suggestions.

Thread Starter #2
Re: Scorpio M Hawk - Starting issue

A quick update - I tried to start my Scorp this morning . The engine just clicked on 3 constant attempts to start the vehicle. On the 4th attempt i depress the accelerator pedal a bit and turn the key and she fired up merrily . I am now wondering would it be some issue with any of the sensors??

I think there is a Problem with the Throttle Valve,Fuel Injectors and Spark Plugs.Please Check and Clean these 3 Parts and she must be Fine.Also please Fix your Remote and Micro-Hybrid thingy.It can also be the Cause of the Problem.Yes,You are right,Please check the sensors and also don't forget to check for Water leakage under the Hood.

Thread Starter #4

I think there is a Problem with the Throttle Valve,Fuel Injectors and Spark Plugs.Please Check and Clean these 3 Parts and she must be Fine.Also please Fix your Remote and Micro-Hybrid thingy.It can also be the Cause of the Problem.Yes,You are right,Please check the sensors and also don't forget to check for Water leakage under the Hood.
Thanks for your reply Bharath, i will first get my vehicle on the OBD this weekend and then proceed further.

Thanks for your reply Bharath, i will first get my vehicle on the OBD this weekend and then proceed further.
Sir, OBD2 to Bluetooth or WiFi converters are available in the market. Do check them out. As for the problem, there's so much that can go wrong in a car that unless the problem is a common one, you can hardly tell where it actually is! So better let the ASC do the job - They can tell you the second-best, but if they fail take it to a good mechanic friend. Many a times unauthorized garages do a better job than the ASC folk.

Hope I helped.

Thread Starter #6

Sir, OBD2 to Bluetooth or WiFi converters are available in the market. Do check them out. As for the problem, there's so much that can go wrong in a car that unless the problem is a common one, you can hardly tell where it actually is! So better let the ASC do the job - They can tell you the second-best, but if they fail take it to a good mechanic friend. Many a times unauthorized garages do a better job than the ASC folk.

Hope I helped.
Thanks for the quick replies Friends , would it be able to know what exactly would cause this problem ? Has any of our fellow members / scorp owners encountered this issue?

Bharath@

^^ Spark plugs in Diesel Scorpio?

Turbo addict@

Take your Scopy to ASS and do a check on the starting motor. Ask them why Micro hybrid not working and what needs replacement. May be this also not working something due to starter motor or may be due some small issues (in case you have luck). It is always better to visit the ASS for this type of compalints. They daily work on the these vehicles and very much know, what will go wrong easily.

Last edited:
I too had the same problem with Scorpio VLX . Got it rectified from the Authorized Service Centre . Identified issue was with the Alternator , where one part was replaced . It was draining the battery and the indicator was visible even after running for few kms.

Thread Starter #9
Hello Everyone,
Got the issue sorted finally . Took my Scorp to the ASS and they found the issue to be with a defective battery . Battery was replaced and she now runs like a dream.

Top Bottom