Oil in the Intake

Thread Starter #1
Hello TAI-gers, a little query on the turbo.

As a regular practice, I dedicate some of my Sunday's time to the various fluid containers, filters and hoses of my Indigo's engine. As a part of preventive maintenance, I also clean the air filter after every 15 days. And every time I see little of oil in the intake.
I have asked about this to my mechanic, who is a veteran doctor of the IDI mills. He says that it is perfectly fine for a small quantity of oil in intake. I have also asked about this to the technicians of TEL and they too said that little oil in the intake should not be a reason to worry.
Yet, I keep on searching the net for my question as to "Basically, why Oil in the intake?", and I landed upon the following view posted on the tdiclub. Quoting it -

"It is normal to find a coating of oil everywhere downstream of the CCV and turbo. The turbo seals leak a little bit of oil by design since it's a labrynth type seal. It's excessive oil pooled up in the intercooler that's bad.

Even if the turbo seals are perfectly fine, you can still pool up a lot of oil in the IC by babying the car and never getting on the power and running it thru the RPM range while on the power. "Drive it like you stole it" is an important part of preventive maintenance. Regularly getting on the power and using it over the RPM range will help keep excess oil from building up in the IC. The turbo seals require the turbo to be making some boost all the time for the seals to do their job.

You can drain the intercooler to check for excess oil by pulling the bottom hose off the IC. It's normal to have a little oil dribble out. If a gusher of oil comes out, that's bad and you were at risk of a runaway."
After reading this, can I blame my driving habits here? I am habitual of upshifting at around 16-1800 RPM band. I cross the 2000 RPM mark only in the 4th or 5th gear on highways. Note that I do not have any problems as in black smoke or loss of power.

Top Bottom