Honda Activa Dies Off After Few Minutes

Thread Starter #1

bhvm

Honoured Member
Hello everyone,
I have Honda activa (earlier model) as family scooter.
Since a few months the scooter has been driving me nuts![frustration]

It starts up fine, even in cold weather and just as make a few hundread meters, it Sputters (Frrrrsss.....Frrrrr....Fkkkk) with loss of throttle response and power, and simple dies off. Sometimes using the Choke I can start it again,but other times i have to push it back. The symptom is not related to cold weather (we have very hot weather anyways) and is at random.

I have visited the ASS Thrice and they already have-
replace Fuel line
replace Air filter
Carb cleaning
Choke setting
Dynamo service.

Kindly get me out of this pandemonium.

Have you checked the idling rpm, i had the same issue with my bike and finally increasing the rpm idling settings this issue went off.

Thread Starter #3

bhvm

Honoured Member
Have you checked the idling rpm, i had the same issue with my bike and finally increasing the rpm idling settings this issue went off.

ok I'll get it checked. but irrespective of speed or throttle the scooter goes off after some time. I try to squeeze the throttle to avoid stutter but doesn't Help.

Even I had the same problem as described above. I think some glow plug was changed to get it back to work. later sold it off

Thread Starter #6

bhvm

Honoured Member
Hmmm

I opened the fuel cap and took a close look to it. Seems like it as a microscopic hole hidden below the rubber washer. I cleaned the hole with needle and stalling problem is less now.
I will observe for a week and let you know.

Ps- are these caps meant to be vented or not?

These fuel cap should have a tiny hole in order to reduce the pressure inside the tank.If that tiny hole will not be there, then fuel may not pass to the carburetor.

Thread Starter #8

bhvm

Honoured Member
These fuel cap should have a tiny hole in order to reduce the pressure inside the tank.If that tiny hole will not be there, then fuel may not pass to the carburetor.
Then that maybe the culprit. There was dust and rust around the hole. Cleaning seems to have increased the reliability. What will happen if it make it little wider?

Then that maybe the culprit. There was dust and rust around the hole. Cleaning seems to have increased the reliability. What will happen if it make it little wider?

No don't do that, else your fuel will evaporate from there. Manufacture has set the size of the hole after R&D only.

Thread Starter #10

bhvm

Honoured Member
I'm driving the vehicle regularly. it does not die off now I guess the blocked vent was all.

1. please check fuel tank as water may be mixed with petrol. if found Please do full empty the fuel tank once.

2. You need to change the CDI it costs you 200 to 400 rs. its a current generating unit for spark plugs and responsible for ignition.

if all method not work you need to change the current generating coil also.

Lets hope its something minor.
I am quite ambivalent about Honda's reliability Since I have come across quite a number of defective vehicles which starts giving problems earlier itself and some cases like a 11 year old troublefree activa which was running fine as if its a new engine and still looks like it can last for another decade.

Check the fuel quality, it has to be something related to the fuel filter.

Top Bottom