I will be using this thread to gather knowledge about various aspects of repairing and restoring a car. As it turns out it is going to take longer time than I expected since the problems keep on coming one after another.
A little intro about my project :
I have a 2002 model Petrol Nexia with a CNG kit installed. During Cyclone Phailin (Odisha), car got submerged in water. Car was towed back to my native town (Bhilai) and it's been lying ever since. This car is of great sentimental value so we cannot even think of selling it. Mechanics have inspected the car and said it will never start again.
I came to my native on 1st October and started looking around for faults and some of which are :
1. Rust (salt water)
2. Electrical wiring needs to be changed
3. Shorted ECU (major problem, new one costs 40k according to my mechanic)
4. Car's exhaust pipe is broken and probably missing but i think that is an easy fix, right ?
to be cont...(will keep adding to the list as and when i find out new issues)
As of now, I have removed all the seats and exposed all the wirings, removed the ecu, gave the battery for charging.
ECU Issue : I gave the ECU to a local electronics repair shop who deals with ECU repairs. After two days and 1580 rs. worth of repairs he claims that its working again, which i wont be able to find out until its plugged in.
Battery : I have given the battery for charging since its completely drained.
Electrical components : Once the battery is back and as soon as i procure a dc tester will start checking for individual circuits from the fusebox.
My questions are :
1. How should i approach to these issues in a fashioned way. What i mean is should I check the ECU first or the electrical components. Car wont start unless ecu is fixed. But electrical circuits will work even if ecu is not fixed ? i
2. If ECU is not fixed then will ECU's from Chevrolet optra work ?
3. Most of the couplers are rusted and break when i try to open them. And i cannot change entire wiring of the car.
I have set targets since time is something of a luxury for me. SO before i leave back to bangalore I have decided to get the engine started and that depends on ECU, which is my main concern. If the ecu is fixed according to the repair guy, what precautions should I take so as to avoid any further avoidable damage to ECU. Repair guy already broke a pin which trying to fix it, which he fixed by adding a wire from the circuit board which i can attach from the outside to the coupler wire.