Query Regarding Engine Flush

Thread Starter #1
hi all members and mods
i have vista tdi 65000 on odo as engine goes sluggish day by day
i start using system-d but engine is still have solid noise in cabin and still engine
is sluggish so i decided to go for engine flush as i m going for the service of the
car in next 5-7 days so i need suggestion about engine flush and engine additives

please mention the brand name,price ,uses process and your experience

When you done the last engine oil change? How much Km done on current engine oil?

Though i dont expect a big difference in engine performance by a Engine flush. I have no experiance of Engine flush in diesels, though i done this my old M 800. There was no big difference. Do visit Tata ASS and check up the car.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #3
last oil change was in February and car run 4500 after oil change.never done engine flush before during oil change or never use any engine oil additive [roll]

@ joni please, PLEASE find the time to service your car - Something is seriously wrong. No oil can show these symptoms till at least 7000 kms. Okay, 7000 is a misnomer, let's say 6000 km. Either the oil was not changed and you were told that it was, or there is something wrong with the ride. Please do something quick.
Sorry for the off-topic post.

Last edited:
There are ample threads on the internet regarding engine flush. I have seen many of them reporting an engine failure after the engine flush.

Link

Once during an oil change 6 moths ago, the guy talked me into engine flush and I opted for it. Later when I saw these threads, it was scary. Luckily, I didn't have anyissues.

I don't know what TATA does! But when giving my ALTO for service, they flush the engine for every oil change! Engine flushing just keeps your engine clean from deposits. That's all. AFAIK, It shouldn't cause engine failure! Maybe it was done in a wrong way!

Using a dedicated chemical flush on an engine is a pretty outdated, harmful procedure that can cause risk to your engine block by forcing out crucial layers of oil.

I remember discussing this on a previous thread with Joni, but have you replaced the oil with the one we suggested? It has stronger detergents that could help getting sludge and carbon off the internals of your engine.

However, since your engine seems to be suffering from more severe issues so you may want to carry out a full inspection of the fuel and air supply systems. Check the diesel particulate filters and replace if necessary.

I don't know what TATA does! But when giving my ALTO for service, they flush the engine for every oil change! Engine flushing just keeps your engine clean from deposits. That's all. AFAIK, It shouldn't cause engine failure! Maybe it was done in a wrong way!
My perception of engine flush is not just draining the old engine oil out of the system, but adding some chemical to the oil reservoir after draining the old oil and running the engine for about 10-15 min. Then draining the chemical and then adding new engine oil. Are you sure Maruti does this? They definitely doesnt for my dzire. AFAIK none of them does this at least here in US. I am not aware if it is done in India. You can find hundreds of such horror stories if you google it. After performing the engine flush, I googled it really added any value and bumped into these horror stories.
In addition, I haven't seen engine flush being recommended by Toyota or Honda for my cars in the manual.

Last edited:
My perception of engine flush is not just draining the old engine oil out of the system, but adding some chemical to the oil reservoir after draining the old oil and running the engine for about 10-15 min. Then draining the chemical and then adding new engine oil. Are you sure Maruti does this? They definitely doesnt for my dzire. AFAIK none of them does this at least here in US. I am not aware if it is done in India. You can find hundreds of such horror stories if you google it. After performing the engine flush, I googled it really added any value and bumped into these horror stories.
In addition, I haven't seen engine flush being recommended by Toyota or Honda for my cars in the manual.
Agreed.

Here in the US (Mostly at Firestone service centers) I find people using the term "flush" simply to describe draining and refilling.

But I haven't seen anyone using a chemical flush in a very, very long time. Not to mention it has never been done to any of my cars at MASS.

My perception of engine flush is not just draining the old engine oil out of the system, but adding some chemical to the oil reservoir after draining the old oil and running the engine for about 10-15 min. Then draining the chemical and then adding new engine oil.
Yes, this is the way I heard of Engine Flush. I am pretty confident that none of the ASS would do it in India, unless it's "sold" as a separate add-on service. A friend of mine insists CASS to do it for every service on his Beat-D. In addition, he also does Engine De-carbonation on each service.

Now, first of all, are Engine Flush & De-Carbonation recommended? Some claim to do it with steam instead of chemicals. How about those? Any real life experiences are much appreciated than theories.

Yes, this is the way I heard of Engine Flush. I am pretty confident that none of the ASS would do it in India, unless it's "sold" as a separate add-on service. A friend of mine insists CASS to do it for every service on his Beat-D. In addition, he also does Engine De-carbonation on each service.

Now, first of all, are Engine Flush & De-Carbonation recommended? Some claim to do it with steam instead of chemicals. How about those? Any real life experiences are much appreciated than theories.
Once the service person talked me into that. It was done with some chemicals. Later I read many negative experiences about that. Luckily, it worked fine for me.

Decarbonation is a great thing to do, but honestly I'm not sure it's necessary with each service. Do you by any chance know which technique they used to expel the carbon from the engine?

Also, using steam to clean out the oil system seems like a very bad idea.

Decarbonation is a great thing to do, but honestly I'm not sure it's necessary with each service. Do you by any chance know which technique they used to expel the carbon from the engine?
No Viru, I am not aware. I am not sure whether my friend would know it either. As he said, they use chemicals to clean the carbon. Once when I spoke to 3M about decarbonation, the denied of any such service but suggested me for 3M Diesel Additive and said, it does the same job. I tried 2 bottles consecutively as suggested. The engine felt lot more smoother and responsive when the additive was present in the tank.

Also, using steam to clean out the oil system seems like a very bad idea.
One of our members, teamphd60 claims to do decarbonation with steam. Don't know how it works and long term effects.

Interesting, I've only heard of decarbonization using extremely purified fuel. Although a quick search on google showed some interesting results on this!

Last edited:

Top Bottom