• V8

Votes: 7 58.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Thread Starter #1

Akash1886

Honoured Member
Team,

We all love cars to the core and often talk of engines and its peripherals. Being an enthusiast like you all, I am putting forward a simple and somewhat exciting question to all of you i.e What's your favorite: A V6 or V8 engine?

Lets have some thoughts on it!

Regards

Akash

What is this "V6" & "V8"?

[Edit] Google revealed - for general novice like me

" A v6 is an engine with 6 cylinders designed into the motor. A v8 is an engine with 8 cylinders in the engine. More cylinders means more power, but also means more gas consumption. A v6 is a good all around engine because it offers useable power with good economy. a v8 is more geared towards performance and less around economy.
Up to you which you'll choose."

My answer - V8 (or more if available) [:D]
Let me check what my T-Rex has!!!

Last edited:

bhvm

Honoured Member
None!
actually none of these come to india (unless you import)
Actually even the big stonking 3.0L engines are rarity now. (Fortuner or audi)
India seems to get only 1.3~2.2L 4 cyl engines in wholesale.

as far as i remember, there used to be accord v6 and superb v6 awd. for a reasonable price. but later discontinued due to poor sales. Really a pity.

I have not driven or sat in one, but have herd exhaust note of V6 and V8. V8 seems unnecessarily loud. Although there's lots of power. but a properly tuned V6 could be more than enough powerful for Indian roads. Plus the fuel economy can touch two digits. we could never think of achieving that in a V8.

Here's an excellent article on different engine types. In-line 6 is also worth the mention.
Engineering Explained: The Pros And Cons Of Different Engine Types

More the merrier, if V8 is an option then I need it.

This is more of a myth that V8's are thirsty and V6's are economical. More depends on the net displacement, AFR, power and torque generation, load and above everything 'gearbox'.

These days there are technologies like VCM etc which make even the V6's and V8's run economically when driven with light foot and still provide the punch when driven with a heavy foot.

Only two such engines experienced till date; Accord V6 which a friend bought used and sold out in a time duration that was lesser than even the time he took to decide that he need to buy an Accord V6 and the second car I TDed(a couple of months back when we were searching for a premium UV for us) with V6 engine was an Audi Q5 3.0 V6 TDI, definitely it is one heck of an engine and delivers like nothing else can.

'V' type engines haven't actually gained popularity for the performance, but the actual reason behind the popularity of 'V' type engines is the compactness they offer. 'V' type engines are shorter in length and wider in width and hence they are easy to accommodate without increasing the length of the hood. Adding to that, being compact in length these engines also help in aiding dynamics too. If this was not enough, then these engines also offer an advantage of a more compact crankshaft - that's definitely an advantage for an high revving engine.

Rest there are engines like BMW 3.0 straight 6 and many other straight engines from Porsche etc which can beat their 'V' type counterparts up and down.

I'll say that although the V8 rumble is incredible comforting and just feels great when idle, I'd prefer a V6 since it offers a higher level of refinement in day-to-day usage. Further, when you push it even a V6 engine sounds glorious. [:D]

Care to share why? Since we dont have any experience, just curious to know how it differs from owners perspective.
The V8 I owned was a Toyota sequoia. It was a gas guzzler and yielded about 12 miles per Gallons on a free way and about 8 miles per gallon in the city. The other reasons I ditched it are not because of the V8 but other issues like when I was speeding at about 110 miles per hr, I had a feeling that it just floats on air and doesnt have any grip adhering to the road. There was a lot of body roll.
(The max speed I drove was at 148 miles per hr in a a Dodge caliber and it was just just cruising effortlessly. I never realized I was driving that fast. That is the kinda feel I would love to have.)
Currently I own a Honda Odyssey which is a V6. I get about 18 miles per gallon in the city and 24 miles per gallon on a free way. The drive is solid with out any roll and gives me the confidence. More over, it is an ease on my wallet at the gas station.

The V8 I owned was a Toyota sequoia. It was a gas guzzler ...The drive is solid with out any roll and gives me the confidence. More over, it is an ease on my wallet at the gas station.
Yeah V8 is more thirsty than V6. Regarding the body roll and stability, I guess it depends more on the vehicle than the engine, moreover excess engine weight may further aids stability at higher speeds.

There are a lot of V6 in India. however we have to be ready to burn a hole in the pocket to get them.also heard that even W16 is available in India. Need to have a gold mine to purchase it though[:D]. I would like to own a V8 mustang some day its a dream car. so yes for me a V8 would definitely brighten the day

Top Bottom