Are Diesel Cars Tougher To Drive Than Petrol Cars?

Are diesels tougher to drive than petrols?

• Total voters
Thread Starter #1

AMG

Suspended
Are diesels tougher to drive than petrols?

Because of the fact that they have a much thinner powerband?

Re: Are diesels tougher to drive than petrols?

No ways!

I find diesels are more fun to drive than petrols. I dont like to rev hard to get some push. the low end torque of diesels makes it enjoyable both in the city as well as on the highways.

Petrol cars are anytime easier to drive than equivalent diesel car due to its free revving nature, sudden pick up, city driving with bumper to bumper traffic, overall refinement with significantly lesser NVH. However I would slightly differ my opinion for highway drives, where diesel scores a bit more.

Thread Starter #4

AMG

Suspended

No ways!

I find diesels are more fun to drive than petrols. I dont like to rev hard to get some push. the low end torque of diesels makes it enjoyable both in the city as well as on the highways.

I dont know what low end torque you are talking about.

I once drove(okay, tried driving) my brother's i20 CrDi, and managed to stall it thrice. In first gear. Where my fabia would have took off, there was absolutely nothing in that car.

Finally gave up, and told him to park it.

Akash1886

Honoured Member

I have a naturally aspirated 1.5L Ivtec City (2011). I find the car really good and fun to drive. I have owned only petrol cars till now so can speak on that only. However, I have sat in diesel cars too i.e i20 and Laura. Interesting fact is that once the diesel car attains pick up then it doesn't go down easily unlike petrol engine whose pick up depends on accelerator's use. Thus, Diesel cars hold their pick up for a longer time than the petrol ones.

With the improvements in engine technology, the diesel cars are getting better and better. There are certain cars whose Diesel and petrol engine almost sound similar when started. I am not much into technical aspects but the difference in driving a Diesel and Petrol car could also be due to the suspensions which count for the car's ride quality.

Regards

Akash

Not really. It depends on the user. If one drove a high-revving petrol (rather that it needs to be hard-pushed to get to the upshift speed) and then drove a diesel, the diesel is slaughtered bad. Vice versa and the petrol will stall.

I think it all comes down to the way how one drives. Person with a light foot will prefer diesel, while a person who loves to rev will prefer petrol. I find diesel car effortless to drive. The only petrol car I enjoyed driving was Cedia and City, all other petrols I have to give a bit too many revs to make progress.

I once drove(okay, tried driving) my brother's i20 CrDi, and managed to stall it thrice. In first gear. Where my fabia would have took off, there was absolutely nothing in that car.

I20 crdi had significant turbo lag.........Ford figo, grand i10 and micra are fun to drive diesels more like petrol and some cases better than petrol (wagnor, alto etc)

i feel that diesel vehicles do not stall much and can be driven in lower gears in traffic laden roads so not much of gear shifting needed. Another advantage is the higher torque helps you in climbing hilly roads with ease.

Petrol are anyway quicker in city traffic where regular brakes and sudden power required.

In Diesel [if Turbocharged], once the turbocharger kicks in you feel sudden power raise. But this required diesel to go above certain RPM [depends of individual car]. This happens moreover on Highways.

i feel that diesel vehicles do not stall much and can be driven in lower gears in traffic laden roads so not much of gear shifting needed. Another advantage is the higher torque helps you in climbing hilly roads with ease.

^^ I too thought like that till i driven a punto daily in traffic. I thought it is a diesel car is good to drive in city, but now i like my petrol esteem in city and i love to drive my brother's city zx.

I own a M Esteem(1300 CC, 85 BHP) and using it mainly on weekends and sometimes to office, I daily drives my collegues Punto diesel(1250 CC, 74 BHP) to office(60KM) for the past 2 months.

The difference i felt,

Esteem had tall gears and in slow moving traffic /blocks/bad roads, i had to drive in 1st gear (need to downshift to 1st in advance)most of the time and need to use the clutch. It wil sudden catch speed in 1st or 2nd gear itself and easily move as per the tarffic speed without much hard accelertaion. But it will be difficult to use 4th & 5th gear in city under 60km/hr speed with AC and load.

In Punto, due to the small gear ratios, we cant catch up speed according to traffic starting to move unless we are giving hard acceleration and the vehicles behind us will start to honk. Engine got stalled when i tried to move in 2nd gear in a bad road or a slight incline with 2 people including me and AC. But with full load and Ac, we can drive this car in 4th/5th gear easily at 40-60km/hr speed. We dont have to down shift punto like esteem in 3/4/5 th gears. Also speed not reducing even we didnt given accelerator input in top gears like petrol.

From my experiance, more than petrol/diesel, it is the engine size/ weight of the vehicle matters . It is very comfortable to drive a diesel manza, honda city petrol, innova in city/highway with load, but it is difficult to drive an alto,zen, wagon r with load in city/highway.

Last edited:

Drive some better diesel engines. You will enjoy the low end grunt so much that you will forget revving!

For me its other way around.

For City driving, I prefer diesel any day but out in Highways, its petrol for me.

Nowadays, the modern diesel engines are so torquey even at low end revs which makes much more addictive than N.A petrol engines.

My transition experience from Petrol to Diesel powered car makes me think Diesel are actually much more easier to drive than petrol.

Last edited:
from my experience diesel cars are little hard to maintain as compare to petrol
if i sold my vista surly i will buy a petrol car like Honda city or civic

in the past driving a diesel car was difficult when compared to a petrol car. the amby which we had had the heart transpalnted to a matador diesel engine, overtaking on highways had to be calculated and planned beforehand. but the new generation diesels are as easy to drive as any petrol models of the same make.( we can't compare a vento diesel to a wagon r )

Top Bottom