Brake and Clutch or Clutch and Brake ?

Thread Starter #1
Hi all !
I am newbie in car driving. When I am at speeds above 50, do I need to brake lightly and apply clutch and then full brake for stopping the vehicle or clutch and full brake ? How about the same at very low speeds say 10 - 20 ?

Thanks

Last edited:
In all braking situations, apply brake steadily and depress clutch at the last moment. Listen to the engine - it will tell you when to depress the clutch.

Sam Dinkar is correct.

But newbiedriver85 your method is fine too.
At low speeds you can press clutch first and then the brake - but the time gap should be very less. At high speeds you can follow what you have written.

Just remember that you have to manage your clutch so that the engine does not halt.
Also, premature depression of clutch will disengage the gears and the vehicle will not move smoothly.

So just practice..in 3-4 hours of driving your mind will automatically get tuned to it.

Hi newbiedriver85,

In slow speeds between 10-20, to overcome stalling issue you can first press clutch and then brake slowly. But in high speeds if you press clutch then engine gets disengaged making your car free gaining little bit more speed at the moment. So at high speeds you need to press brakes and if your speed comes below 10 then press clutch.

Pressing the clutch first before applying brakes is a big no no.
Because if the clutch is pressed first, the engine drive to the wheels get disengaged and the brakes have to work really hard to halt the vehicle. Needless to say it will increase your stopping distance also which is always risky.
So it is advisable to apply brakes first to allow the car to decelerate with the help of "engine-braking" and the apply the clutch when it is about to knock or stall.

Not to worry, you will master this art by practicing just like all other experienced drivers.

Braking at crawling speeds is a different story altogether and here you can press the clutch first and apply brakes to avoid stalling the car which is already moving too slow. Even if you apply the clutch first here it is safe at this speed because the momentum gained by the car after pressing the clutch is comparitively much lesser than that of highway speeds and it is easily controllable by the brakes with a lesser wear.

Hope this helps.....[:)]

bhvm

Honoured Member
Friends,
I would like to differ here.

1) Unless i want a very gentle speed correction (Eg when entering a small bend). I almost always apply Clutch before brake (or together if you say so).

2)The engine braking is not as prominent in Modern Engines. This was more in use for truck or Jeep type engines. My Hundai i10 has almost zero engine braking. You can leave the accelerator and vehicle rolls for many KM before falling to Lowest speed for a particular gear. The engine braking as such does not "help" brakes to slow down. These engines are very free revving.

3)If you keep clutch connected to engine when braking, the brakes have double duty. They have to slow down the wheels AS WELL AS the engine. Modern engines with Dual Flywheels etc are not easy to slow down. Actually you are overloading it. Diesels esp are torque creatures and generate enough tourque even at idle RPM

My XUV 500 has a min speed of 30 KMPH in 3rd gear and 42KMPH in 4 th gear. This is the speeds the vehicle will move without depressing accelerator. If you are applying brakes during these speed, you're overloading or suffocating your engine! (promptly argued by KKkkkrrrr...khh Khh....Knocking Sound)

4) If i want a reduction of more than 10~20 KMPH I will naturally have to press clutch, Brake and then downshift before moving on. So why not apply clutch before braking?

P.s- My driving style adopted by Modern Intercooled Diesel SUVs. It maybe different for your car.

It is always advisable to apply the brake first and then the clutch after the speed reduces to the required level. you will get practiced as you gain experience.

bhvm

Honoured Member
In all braking situations, apply brake steadily and depress clutch at the last moment. Listen to the engine - it will tell you when to depress the clutch.
I agree, as also explained by @venkat_CRDI.
It is always advisable to apply the brake first and then the clutch after the speed reduces to the required level. you will get practiced as you gain experience.
I don't get it why you suggest brake before clutch in most situation? mine is other way round.

I don't get it why you suggest brake before clutch in most situation? mine is other way round.
Let us look into the purpose of braking. We hit brake to slow / stop the vehicle. So it is brake pedal first. We also do not want the Engine to stutter when higher gear is engaged as speed falls. So we press clutch pedal. Changing gear is optional [evil], if the engine rpm can be revved up before moving on. Moreover, not touching the clutch helps to use Engine-Breaking and prolong life of Brake Shoes and Tyres. Try it.

Top Bottom