Front Wheel Drive or Rear Wheel Drive. Your Choice?

Which one for you?

• Front Wheel Drive

Votes: 6 23.1%
  • Rear Wheel Drive

Votes: 20 76.9%

• Total voters
Thread Starter #1
The controversy has gone on for decades: which is better - front wheel drive or rear wheel drive? We used to have predominately rear wheel drive (RWD) automobiles on the road, but by the late 1970's, front wheel drive (FWD) vehicles were beginning to dominate. But the RWDs have again started making a comeback, let's have a look at the pros and cons of both:

FRONT WHEEL DRIVE:
Pros:
  • More economical to produce - hence lower sticker price
  • Lighter in weight as driveshafts are shorter and no long distance power transmission(like in front engined RWD cars) is required.
  • Better FE because of lesser weight and lower transmission losses.
  • No hump in cabin, hence better cabin space
  • Better traction on less grippy surfaces as the weight of engine is on the driving wheels itself.

Cons:
  • Under steer
  • Torque steer
  • Turning angle of wheels can't be very high because of drive shafts
  • Since the front is crowded, so there is less space for suspension components etc
  • Lateral load transfer under heavy acceleration or ascending steep inclines removes most of the weight from the driving wheels making them less grippy

REAR WHEEL DRIVE:
Pros:
  • Lateral load transfer under heavy acceleration or going uphill adds more grip to driving wheels
  • No torque steer or under steer
  • Better weight distribution due to components like differential etc present at the rear
  • Since engine compartment isn't much crowded, nor the driving shafts do interfere in knuckle movements, so suspension and turning circle can be better.

Cons:
  • Over steer
  • Heavier in weight
  • Higher production cost
  • Power transmission hump in passenger cabin
  • Front wheels/directing wheels have lesser traction on less grippy surfaces as compared to the FWD cars

So what's your choice?

For me, it has to be RWD.
RWD rocks and FWD sucks!!

Thread Starter #5
Finally there is one vote for front wheel drive too.

Well, it is the issue with the manufacturers that even if they make some so-called enthusiast centric cars, then also they are font wheel drive. Leave aside the japs, but I never expected it from the premium germans with the cars like these:
  • Mercedes Benz A
  • Audi Q3 sport
  • Audi A3

All are FWD!! [frustration]
Only BMW is the one which has still held the flag and quite high. even the one series is also a RWD.

Similarly Renault and Ford are these days offering 'SUV's like Duster and Ecosport with FWD and how can we forget the mighty XUV?

I mean why? Money is saved at the expense of fun to drive factor! There are cars for enthusiasts like GT TSi, Laura vRS etc and all are again FWD. And how can we forget the mighty Accord V6?

Though we are a small chunk of buyers but isn't there any manufacturer who can understand what we are asking for? We don't have a car that can handle aggressive turning, there is no car with the feeling of the wheels pushing you hard under hard acceleration [frustration]

BTW, here are two nice videos::biggrin:

Voted for RWD and i never change my decision under any given circumstances.

Here's why:

1) Been and being owner of FWD and RWD vehicles, i see lot of stress levied on Engine for FWD, whereas in RWD it goes effortlessly and the front wheels and suspensions doesn't have to bear all the stress nor the rear wheels.

2) In reality pushing a car(RWD) is easier than pulling it(FWD) which is needed in uphills

3) The power surge can be enjoyed to the core in rear wheel driven vehicles and if it happens to be a turbo powered diesel, sky's the limit for them.

Last edited:
...But isn't oversteer more dangerous than understeer at occasions? So when I drive on the NE-1 I prefer RWD on the gentle curves, and when I find myself pushing the car on ghats, I need help! I need FWD! Voted for RWD, as everyone did. No Nanos please.

Great thread, BTW.

Thread Starter #9
...But isn't oversteer more dangerous than understeer at occasions? So when I drive on the NE-1 I prefer RWD on the gentle curves, and when I find myself pushing the car on ghats, I need help! I need FWD! Voted for RWD, as everyone did. No Nanos please.

Great thread, BTW.
Put aside everything, your signature is fantastic :stupid:

Being dangerous depends on the amount of oversteer or understeer. A tail happy car needs an expert hand to control on tight corners at high speeds and similarly a nose heavy under steer lover car needs an even more experienced hand.

BTW I haven't got the point for why FWD is needed for taking the corners on ghats and why RWD is good for wider corners? My thoughts are something like opposite.

FWD

Because grip>>>Drift
Please elaborate sirji[:)]

AMG

Suspended
The fact is that FWD cars usually have much more grip than RWD cars, if my experience by NFS MW2 and GRID 2(that game won acclaim for being truthful) is anything to go by.

TSIVipul said:
Put aside everything, your signature is fantastic :stupid:

Being dangerous depends on the amount of oversteer or understeer. A tail happy car needs an expert hand to control on tight corners at high speeds and similarly a nose heavy under steer lover car needs an even more experienced hand.

BTW I haven't got the point for why FWD is needed for taking the corners on ghats and why RWD is good for wider corners? My thoughts are something like opposite.

You are right, the car needs an expert hand to work great. I know not much about grip, under/oversteer etc., but just posted with whatever knowledge of physics I have. But now I again thought about it and concluded that if the engine is in front, there will be lesser (chances of) over-steer. So no worries! But I don't know - heart says FWD has more grip. Confused, maybe I should do a little research.

Thanks.

RWD. Practical experience.

While little uphill travel at Maharana Pratap Memorial at haldighati, Rajasthan, Innova with rated power 93bhp travel uphill effortlessly, while Renault Duster with rated power 110bhp couldn't make it on its own by experienced seasoned driver, & after keeping stones behind rear wheels & little push from behind & strong revving the engine, Duster with great difficulty ride up to Chetak memorial.

Thread Starter #13
RWD. Practical experience.

While little uphill travel at Maharana Pratap Memorial at haldighati, Rajasthan, Innova with rated power 93bhp travel uphill effortlessly, while Renault Duster with rated power 110bhp couldn't make it on its own by experienced seasoned driver, & after keeping stones behind rear wheels & little push from behind & strong revving the engine, Duster with great difficulty ride up to Chetak memorial.
Err, sirji I guess what you have mentioned has more to do with the engine displacement and low end torque than FWD or RWD. Even the cars like Safari(2.2, 3.0 was a low end torque monster), XUV or Scorpio(2.2, 2.6 is great) also don't climb inclines like the Innova does at lower revs, they also require a bit of revving.

AMG

Suspended
You are right, but the fact is that most of the cars are front heavy, and as such the RWD does not work out at all.

Also there is a limit to what FWD cars can take. Its generally accepted to be 250 BHP.

Beyond that, go RWD.

Top Bottom