Chevrolet Sail U-VA Diesel Engine Issues: No Pickup. Can Someone Help?

Thread Starter #1
Hi TAians

My nightmare has again started after the service at ARAS motors. again!

Suddenly, my cars pick up has gone down considerably and engine noise is high when i try to press the accelerator to increase the speed. Even when the accelerator is pressed down to the floor completely the RPM increases but there is no pickup as the speedometer slowly raises so badly that I couldnt overtake an vehicle in front of me. [surprise]

What happened to my car? can somebody explain?

In highway driving when the accelerator is pressed completely to the floor the RPM does raise upto 3000 rpm but the speed stays only at 110-120km max.

I checked the engine oil and it was dark black and the oil was at its maximum limit. why this happens especially after each free service (at my dealer ARAS motors) ?[anger]

Also the car steering doesnt turn back to (original state) 90 degrees after each complete left/right turn that I make. I dont know if it is the power steering issue or whether the steering rod is not aligned.

can somebody help me here?

All these issues started only after the recent service, and it was not before
so TAIans I need you Help..
A big Advance thank you[:)]

Re: Chevrolet Sail UVa Diesel Engine issues - NO PICKUP - CAN SOMEBODY HELP ME OUT

Hi sir,I am Bharath,I Think I can help you,

1) You said the engine has lost pickup right ? You have to check your Timing and Correct it.Check for White smoke from the exhaust and Misfiring.Please check if Engine Oil has lubricated all the parts

2) The Engine Oil must NEVER EVER be in Dark Black.It means ARAS Motors have been pouring Very Old Oil on every service and in the name of Oil change.Please post a picture on the color of the Oil sir.Please file a Case as I think they have been cheating you.This is very dangerous.It can kill everything inside your Engine.

3) The Power steering issue must be with the Alignment motor or the Power steering Fluids.

4)You have also mentioned Everything started from first service and this clearly indicates that They have been cheating you by pouring Old Oil in the name of Oil Change and Mess up The Timing So please go to a Local Mech and Tell him all these and he may fix it for you.I saw your location is at Madurai so I can't help you with mechanics there as I don't know any but I know many good mechs in Chennai.Please don't worry.We will shut ARAS Motors for Good.Thank you

Thread Starter #3
Yes
I am planning to go to an experienced mechanic and set things right for the time being.
But with the limited availability of spares in market I am afraid if they could fix the issues and also chevy mechanics (scarce) are bad and lacking professional experience.
If it is with the timing belt will the laptop still show some error code?
thanks

Thread Starter #5
Sail UVa (2013) diesel Engine Issues- need help

I have a Chevrolet (india) SAIL -UVa (2013) Diesel car. With all due respect the car was great in its initial 4000 kms ride mostly highways and 20% city drive but after the free service at the dealer (ARAS motors, madurai) i keep getting new issues after each service. I need some professional help to maintain my ride. My Uvy is now just 8000km old.

Now after a series of complaints and service center visits, I feel my car has lost its speed and charm after the service and now there are many issues than before (or have they implanted it?[confused]).

1. after turning the engine on, the digital RPM shows at 800rpm (0.8) even before I Change into the first gear. before, I usually feel a pull when i just change into the 1st gear but now when RPM is @800 there is no pull but the car is dragging slowly and it wont even climb a small speed breaker at first gear without acceleration (which was not the case before)

Now the car wont pick up speed when the RPM is higher than required but the speedometer slowly raises which makes me unable to overtake a vehicle infront of me in city traffic. The car which used to travel in highways at speeds above 140km (@2700rpm) now travels at 110-120 at 3000 rpm. I dont now what they did to the engine and now there is a lag of 100rpm in all gears (i.e. reaches 80km at 1900 rpm instead of 1800rpm).
Thee turbo is not charging in after the car reaches 120 km (usually the turbo sets in at 80km) and there is no rush in speed even when the accelerator is pushed to the floor (the rpm shows at 3000 but the speed is still between 115 - 120km)[frustration]
can somebody what are the issues I now have in my car

2. The power steering doesnt set back to 90 degrees (original/center position) when i take a left/right turn and it is also hard to adjust the steering height.

3. Yesterday I tested the engine oil (after driving a few kms) and saw it was dark black and also above the maximum level.

4. I looked at the air filter and it was dirty and had some gaps in some place.

5. Finally, the cars Seatbelt warning alarm and light is not showing up. when they connected the laptop I was there but it showed no error codes !!
How come the laptop is not sensing so many issues when these issues might be electronic.

Does it all mean something is wrong at the service center ?

P.S.: out of my extreme frustration I had a verbal fight with the service manager and Asst GM @ ARAS (which i regret). But later we became OK..since he promised me to fix these issues.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thread Starter #6
Re: Sail UVa (2013) diesel Engine Issues- need help

A refined reply from the Chevrolet Customer Assistance CEnter
Dear Mr. David.

This is in reference to your email addressed to us .

Based on your query, we request you to kindly contact to your nearest Chevrolet Authorised dealership.

We thank you for writing us and assuring you the best of our services at all times.

Warm Regards

ManMohan Bhasker
Customer Assistance Center
Chevrolet Sales India, Gurgaon
C e-mail - gmi.cac@gm.com
www.chevrolet.co.in

Yesterday I tested the engine oil (after driving a few kms) and saw it was dark black and also above the maximum level.

the oil level at maximum may blow turbo easily

Last edited:

1. after turning the engine on, the digital RPM shows at 800rpm (0.8) even before I Change into the first gear. before, I usually feel a pull when i just change into the 1st gear but now when RPM is @800 there is no pull but the car is dragging slowly and it wont even climb a small speed breaker at first gear without acceleration (which was not the case before)

Now the car wont pick up speed when the RPM is higher than required but the speedometer slowly raises which makes me unable to overtake a vehicle infront of me in city traffic. The car which used to travel in highways at speeds above 140km (@2700rpm) now travels at 110-120 at 3000 rpm. I dont now what they did to the engine and now there is a lag of 100rpm in all gears (i.e. reaches 80km at 1900 rpm instead of 1800rpm).
Thee turbo is not charging in after the car reaches 120 km (usually the turbo sets in at 80km) and there is no rush in speed even when the accelerator is pushed to the floor (the rpm shows at 3000 but the speed is still between 115 - 120km)[frustration]
If the engine RPM is responding to the throttle, there should be nothing wrong with the engine/timing belt/chain/oil as such. The problem will be in the transmission of the engine power to the wheels - and the only variable factor is your clutch system. I think you need to get your clutch assembly and the clutch related parts like the master/slave cylinder, etc checked and replaced if necessary.

Yes
I am planning to go to an experienced mechanic and set things right for the time being.
But with the limited availability of spares in market I am afraid if they could fix the issues and also chevy mechanics (scarce) are bad and lacking professional experience.
If it is with the timing belt will the laptop still show some error code?
thanks
If you have a OBD II Adapter you can just connect it from your mobile and check if there are any errors. I hope your car is under warranty. You can report this issue to the Customer Care and they will guide you well.

Hi cjdavid75
looking at your post, i have noticed that your turbo is not kicking in at 1700 rpm. since i too own a sail diesel i can say you can test it yourself whether your turbo is working or not. the simple test is initially idle your car at startup till engine heats up say 5mins max. now with the A/C off gently drive the car till rpm touches 1800rpm, from second gear there should be a whining sound followed by a surge in pickup. If this does not happen there is a problem with your turbo. I also would like to tell you if your car hit a speed breaker hard or went over a decent large stone or got hit by a stone or something under the body your oil sump gets dented and stops supply of oil to the turbo. This results in non lubrication of turbo and failure of the turbo. I have faced a similar problem in my previous car swift dzire diesel and symptoms are almost same as yours in the pickup and overtaking pattern.
thankyou.
Satyabobby9[:)]

Thread Starter #12
Thanks for the reply.
Yes I did try that before. WHen you start your engine after idling and drive at regular speeds at respective gears (i go upto a max of 1800 rpm in each gear and shift up). SO i dont feel the pickup lag for the first 5 to 6kms. BUT THE LAG starts after driving the car at 80-100km speed for 5-7kms and then when you slow down the car to 20-30km (in 2 or 3rd gears) and shift up, the pick up is lost and though you press the accelerator hard there wont be any pickup or speed and the RPM also rises slowly irrespective of how hard you press the accelerator.
So after the service at ASS, i drove along with the mechanic and ASM, as during the initial test drive of 5 to 7km at 80km speed you wont notice the lag but when you slow down after 5-7km drive and shift gears up then only you will feel the lag. [anger]
So it is a mechanical issue which I am certain the ASS team would certainly know and could fix it at my next service [:)]
but just keep me posted if TAIans had similar issues and how they fixed it

Hi cjdavid75
I also would like to tell you if your car hit a speed breaker hard or went over a decent large stone or got hit by a stone or something under the body your oil sump gets dented and stops supply of oil to the turbo. This results in non lubrication of turbo and failure of the turbo.
Satyabobby9[:)]
@satya I am a careful driver and always extra careful with bumps and potholes. so i dont think there would be anything in the oil sump. but i made a note of it and test it also. btw how much is your sail (diesel's) mileage on city and highways (with and without A/C)?

If you have a OBD II Adapter you can just connect it from your mobile and check if there are any errors. I hope your car is under warranty. You can report this issue to the Customer Care and they will guide you well.
OBD II adapter is available from Dealxtreme.com? but will they fit in Chevy SAil UVA? if so is there any specifications i need to look for while buying the OBD II adapter online?

Last edited by a moderator:

I have a Chevrolet (india) SAIL -UVa (2013) Diesel car. With all due respect the car was great in its initial 4000 kms ride mostly highways and 20% city drive but after the free service at the dealer (ARAS motors, madurai) i keep getting new issues after each service. I need some professional help to maintain my ride. My Uvy is now just 8000km old.

Now after a series of complaints and service center visits, I feel my car has lost its speed and charm after the service and now there are many issues than before (or have they implanted it?[confused]).

3. Yesterday I tested the engine oil (after driving a few kms) and saw it was dark black and also above the maximum level.
Since you mentioned the oil level was above maximum, [frustration] i would advice you to get your turbo checked, as high oil pressure can damage the oil seals of turbocharger and cause premature failure of it. Also check for any unusual smoke that you see from the exhaust, this may clearly indicate the problem!! your car seems like running on limp mode. Visit any other service center and ask them to scan the car using the OBD..

Recently my sail has a problem with punctured pipe that is carrying some gas or hot air to the turbo.so because of that the car was not able to speed beyond 30kmph and we heard a big noise coming from hood everytime we pressed the accelerator.so after the inspection they replaced that tube and it is fine now.i think it is wornedout tube.

Last edited:

Top Bottom