Bajaj Pulsar 180 Engine Oil Issue

Thread Starter #1
Hi guys,
I own pulsar 180 (2008 model), It has clocked 41,000kms. Before I used to change engine oil for every 2500kms and recently I noticed that the engine oil consumption has increased. My bike mechanic told to change the engine oil every 1000kms once since its consuming more oil. He also told that engine head work need to be done but there is no hurry I can use the bike in the same condition for another 1 year by changing the oil for every 1000kms. My question is

1)By doing this will it affect the performance of my bike in the long run
2)Will it affect the mileage
3)Usually at what kilometers should the engine overhaul work will be done in pulsar bikes

Should I use the bike in the same state or should I get it done right away[thinking]

Regards,
Sagar ks

I was starting to open a thread regarding the engine life of >150 CC bikes. My 2010 GS 150R started to show these symptoms(@50.5k km) and the bike covered 70K km now.My expenses for the engine and other repair will come between 8-10k Rs and i was thinking about replacing the bike. When i checked about all other commuter bikes of 150Cc or above available here including Unicorn has these problems which will start within 5 years or 50K-70k km.

1) I think it already affected the performance of your bike. Your bike will not reach to tops speeds easily like earlier.Check out for white smoke visible from silencer while you accelerate on neutral gear.

2) it surely affect the milage. Milage will be dropped and oil top up will be additional expense. When calculating this, It is better to do repair the bike at the earliest, if you are going to use the bike and your usuage is more in these days.What is the differnce in milage you getting these days and earlier?

3) You can use the bike by topping up the oil in less interval though performance and milage is less and in later stage oil will burn in faster and need frequent top ups.If not done bike engine may seized and stopped due to overheating.
In case white smoke is really visible and engine felt strained to pik up its better to go for head work. You need to replace the piston and cylinder and also need to do the valve setting and engine decarbanisation. Did you replaced the clutch disc?if not it may require it in later stage. It is not big work and can be done within 2 days in workshop. Time needed only for the valve setting in laith workshop but it could cost you 5-6k rs or more according to parts price.
Using bike in this condition has no affect in long run as any way you need to replace the piston, cylinder & valves. In case if you are planing for a new bike within next 1-2 year,then i feel it is better to rep[lace the bike.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #3
I was starting to open a thread regarding the engine life of >150 CC bikes. My 2010 GS 150R started to show these symptoms(@50.5k km) and the bike covered 70K km now.My expenses for the engine and other repair will come between 8-10k Rs and i was thinking about replacing the bike. When i checked about all other commuter bikes of 150Cc or above available here including Unicorn has these problems which will start within 5 years or 50K-70k km.

1) I think it already affected the performance of your bike. Your bike will not reach to tops speeds easily like earlier.Check out for white smoke visible from silencer while you accelerate on neutral gear.

2) it surely affect the milage. Milage will be dropped and oil top up will be additional expense. When calculating this, It is better to do repair the bike at the earliest, if you are going to use the bike and your usuage is more in these days.What is the differnce in milage you getting these days and earlier?

3) You can use the bike by topping up the oil in less interval though performance and milage is less and in later stage oil will burn in faster and need frequent top ups.If not done bike engine may seized and stopped due to overheating.
In case white smoke is really visible and engine felt strained to pik up its better to go for head work. You need to replace the piston and cylinder and also need to do the valve setting and engine decarbanisation. Did you replaced the clutch disc?if not it may require it in later stage. It is not big work and can be done within 2 days in workshop. Time needed only for the valve setting in laith workshop but it could cost you 5-6k rs or more according to parts price.
Using bike in this condition has no affect in long run as any way you need to replace the piston, cylinder & valves. In case if you are planing for a new bike within next 1-2 year,then i feel it is better to rep[lace the bike.
Hi Releesh,
Thank you for the valuable suggestion [:)].

1)As you rightly said it has already affected the performance of the bike and I can feel the drop in pick up. I do find some white smoke coming our from the silencer recently.

2)Before the mileage that I was getting was from 42-45, now its reduced to 39kms.

3)I have replaced the clutch plate once. I have no plans of selling the bike, Could you please let me know weather its better to get the engine work done from Bajaj authorized service center or a local workshop

Regards,
Sagar.ks

Its better to give it to Bajaj ASS.

Since pulsar had many varients came, local mechanics may not have enough knowledge on spares and you may end up victim of spare shortage/differnt parts.

Top Bottom