Suspension Work For Hyundai Santro Xing

Thread Starter #1
Hello All,

My Santro Xing XO is going to complete 9 Years on 31 Oct 2014. Off late I feel that the springs have deformed because they make a "Dhak" sound when going over potholes or uneven surfaces. I feel the Springs are past their life and needs a change. Car has run 40 K Kms. I am looking to go for a Suspension Job. I have few questions

1. Will changing the Springs only work?
2. Do I have to change the Coil Spring as well?
3. What will be the approximate cost?
4. Can I go for an upgrade like getting springs of Honda City or a bigger car (For comfort factor)? Will it cause any stability issues? [roll]

Hi sir,I can help you here,but a 9 year old car ran only 40k kms is low and over that some suspension work needed.Hmm... Sounds Fishy
:biggrin:

1) No,You may have to change or Recondition the whole Suspension System but though Try changing the springs and please check if that works.

2) Same like first;Please check if this fixes the problem.

3) I don't know the approximate cost as it varies much for different cars.But Maximum is Rs.15k for cars like Santro.

4) Nope,it is not possible but you can get Suspension Upgrade kit but it is to handle more power from the Mods that could be done to the engine and it is costlier and Hyundai a.s.s won't even touch that if some problem.So I strongly advise you to take her to Hyundai a.s.s and check her.The will provide and Install 100 % Original parts.

Other points to check is is any Rust ,Dent,Corrosion anywhere over the Suspension parts as they cause big damage to your car.Another is your Tyres and Rims.Please check if they have Rust,Dent or are Wornnut as they can also be the culprit here.Thank you

If your front struts are bad then you could have known that from your alignment guys. Tire would had unusal tread wear and alignment issues and car would bounce abnormally in pothols or local roads. In rear you can feel the shock bottomout when car had load. Do check up the car at HASS if you are not happy with suapension. sometimes it will be the wornout / hard tires or increased tire air pressure may give a bad ride.

1) No. For front you should replace entire strut and for rear you have to replace the rear shock absorber.No need to replace the springs.
2)usually no.
3)That you have to check with HASS. Go for original parts only.In case replacing its better to replace both sides(In case rear, rear left & right shocks)
4) Santro has enough GC, so upgrade not required i guess.

Last edited:
If your front struts are bad then you could have known that from your alignment guys. Tire would had unusal tread wear and alignment issues and car would bounce abnormally in pothols or local roads. In rear you can feel the shock bottomout when car had load. Do check up the car at HASS if you are not happy with suapension. sometimes it will be the wornout / hard tires or increased tire air pressure may give a bad ride.

1) No. For front you should replace entire strut and for rear you have to replace the rear shock absorber.No need to replace the springs.
2)usually no.
3)That you have to check with HASS. Go for original parts only.In case replacing its better to replace both sides(In case rear, rear left & right shocks)
4) Santro has enough GC, so upgrade not required i guess.
:biggrin: I never knew Santro had Struts !! Only Matiz had them !! Thank you

I have changed my shocker and spring coil first but still I am getting thud thud sound at rough road. Then mechanic suggested me to put longer shocker and spring coil at rear. Then I replaced my existing shocked with longer but still issue is same. And I have also checked for dead axle bush. But bush is good as of now. Still noise is coming. Can anyone please suggest some tips.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have changed my shocker and spring coil first but still I am getting thud thud sound at rough road.
Since the noise I presume is arising from the front of the car, irrespective of the side, here are a few pointers that I can think of:

1. Check the ball joins on each
2. Check the lower arm bushes (chassis side)
3. Check the anti-roll bar (sway bar) bushes that sit on the subframe.
4. Link rods could be dying

How much has the car covered so far?

Top Bottom