Battery Cranking Voltage Drops

Thread Starter #1
hi TAI friends,
i have an issue with my 2009 hyundai i10. the car came with Amaron battery,till last month everything was just fine but now my car hesitates to start.i tested battery for voltage with hydrometer for specific gravity and also with multimeter.
with hydrometer,it showed almost 1.260, i think its good reading for a 12v battery.
i also tested with multimeter @
Engine OFF-----: 12.55v to 12.59v,[cry]
Engine ON------:14.40v to 14.50v,.[thumbsup](i think charging system is working fine)
while cranking -: it dropped till 6.7v and near 7v sometimes(makes a second delay to start)-is this a battery problem or starter problem?
so,what to do? i am in serious confusion [confused] should i replace battery or any other thing to do?. please help me out guys! thank you!

hi TAI friends,
i have an issue with my 2009 hyundai i10. the car came with Amaron battery,till last month everything was just fine but now my car hesitates to start.i tested battery for voltage with hydrometer for specific gravity and also with multimeter.
with hydrometer,it showed almost 1.260, i think its good reading for a 12v battery.
i also tested with multimeter @
Engine OFF-----: 12.55v to 12.59v,[cry]
Engine ON------:14.40v to 14.50v,.[thumbsup](i think charging system is working fine)
while cranking -: it dropped till 6.7v and near 7v sometimes(makes a second delay to start)-is this a battery problem or starter problem?
so,what to do? i am in serious confusion [confused] should i replace battery or any other thing to do?. please help me out guys! thank you!
I am not the best person to answer this query, but to me it appears to be the problem with the starter. Similar thing happened to me 2 years back in my car where i got my battery charged but when i cranked the engine, it used to loose the juice. Finally, the culprit was the starter which needed repairs.

Thread Starter #3
Thanks for your reply,
And what happened to your starter? any serious problem? how you rectified from that and how much you spend on this issue?

thanks for pointing it as starter issue..!

In my case, the bushing was the main culprit. I dont know how much it costed since the service was not done in my presence. Get your car inspected at service centre, I am sure they would confirm what the real issue is.

I feel the battery need replacement since it is 5 years old and this is how it is showings its age. If you are still using this battery, within some days battery will loose its capacity to crank and you amy need a jump start. better go to a pro battery technician and do a replacement.

Thread Starter #6
In my case, the bushing was the main culprit. I dont know how much it costed since the service was not done in my presence. Get your car inspected at service centre, I am sure they would confirm what the real issue is.
Local battery electrician said to replace the battery with his Exide, but still it almost giving 12.6v, i doubt he is trying to fool me ! now i guess its from starting unit! ll check it and get back to you!.
I feel the battery need replacement since it is 5 years old and this is how it is showings its age. If you are still using this battery, within some days battery will loose its capacity to crank and you amy need a jump start. better go to a pro battery technician and do a replacement.
Mate,i know battery's lifetime is 3 to 4yrs. But This is Original Equipment from manufacturer. ppl says OE batteries will be good for 8 to 10yrs. i have a 10yr old maruti zen and in this 10yrs of duration no problem in it and charged it once before a year ,thats it and it is running smoothly.! then why this Amaron battery mentioned as long life battery could not do that? when i tested with multimeter it shows almost 12.6v and this is pretty normal for car battery. so, my doubt here is about cranking voltage- why a 12.6v outputting battery cant do crank and why it dropped to 7v while cranking?.[confused] ineed help.! thank you.

It is the first time i heard about a car battery could last 10 years without any maintenance. In my known circles a battery lasted only maximum 5-6 years only.
Amaron has different varients available(ex- Amaron Pro,Flo,go, etc) for the each vehicle and they are easily identified by the warrentee difference like 18 months,24 months,36 months upto 60months.Check out which varient came with your car. Most probably it will be basic one with 18 months warrentee.
My uncle owns a 2009 i10 era which covered only 15k km till(3-4k km in this year only) now and the battery replaced in 3rd year itself.
Usually Diesel vehicles battery will die early comapred to petrol one and Battery usuage also matter.
Though i do not know how much km you used your car still i feel the battery nearing its end of life and you can easily check it with a local battery technician by their spare battery. You can feel the difference between your one and new battery in cranking itself.

I dont have much knowledge about battery, but i think it is not the voltage, it is the Ampere matters in cranking and since it has 5 years old, it become and do not have enough power to crank though the battery is better for other utilisation.

Top Bottom