O2 Sensor Replacements...

Thread Starter #1
My car is a base-model FWD with about 80,000 miles on it. I had the computer scanned at O'Reillys. It was a P1071 "Running Lean" Bank 1 code. I cleaned the MAF sensor and checked for vacuum leaks. I reset the CEL light when I cleaned the MAF by disconnecting the battery. 85 miles later, the CEL light came back on. I took it to the local mechanic and he said it needs a new upstream o2 sensor (based on their diagnosis). They wanted $245 for the sensor. I thought that was a bit STEEP!

Anyways, my question is, is an Air Fuel Sensor the same thing as an o2 sensor? Also, the mechanic said my Vibe requires a heated o2 sensor, which the Denso product is heated.

Thanks
MRO Supply

O2 sensor is different from MAF sensor and its located in the exhaust .
It senses the amount of oxygen in the exhaust and gives feedback to ECU .
With error code suggesting its lean so try cleaning the fuel lines ,injector ,filter .

My car is a base-model FWD with about 80,000 miles on it. I had the computer scanned at O'Reillys. It was a P1071 "Running Lean" Bank 1 code. I cleaned the MAF sensor and checked for vacuum leaks. I reset the CEL light when I cleaned the MAF by disconnecting the battery. 85 miles later, the CEL light came back on. I took it to the local mechanic and he said it needs a new upstream o2 sensor (based on their diagnosis). They wanted $245 for the sensor. I thought that was a bit STEEP!

Anyways, my question is, is an Air Fuel Sensor the same thing as an o2 sensor? Also, the mechanic said my Vibe requires a heated o2 sensor, which the Denso product is heated.

Thanks
MRO Supply
What is the make and model? I know some year models of Odyssey has issues with the software and gives the wrong codes when scanned.

O2 sensor or also known as lambda sensor. Sometimes also known as the air fuel sensor. Not sure how MAF crept into one of the responses above but thats the manifold air flow sensor measuring the volume of air intake, located as you guessed it - and in the intake manifold.

Most modern cars have 2 sensors measuring the difference in oxygen content between the exhaust gases and the atmosphere or thereby indirectly measuring whether the intake mixture is lean or rich. Feedback from this sensor adjusts the intake mixture to optimum (ideally 14.7:1 air:fuel ratio).

The oxygen sensor must be hot (about 600 degrees or higher) before it will start to generate a voltage signal, so many oxygen sensors have a small heating element inside to help them reach operating temperature more quickly. The heating element can also prevent the sensor from cooling off too much during prolonged idle. Most modern cars will have heated sensors easily recognisable by 4 colored wires attached to them compared, to 2 for a non heated one.

Sensors are not interchangeable usually and like must be replaced by like as they operate differently giving out different voltage readings to the ecu.

Top Bottom