Alternator Upgrade For Esteem Type-III 2006

Thread Starter #1
I need some suggestions on upgrading the alternator on my Esteem. At idle the multimeter reading is 12.78v but at RPM above 2500 the voltage increases to 14.35v. I haven't tried revving the engine too hard to check the increase in voltage further. After driving with headlights and AC ON at speeds of 45-60kmph in 4th or 5th gear, I have had issues starting the car after a quick stop as the battery did not charge. I was searching the internet and found low voltage to be a common issue in Esteems.
I am thinking of the following options:
1). Replace it with a new one of the same type. (Not sure if this helps)
2). Upgrade to another type maybe from swift diesel. (No reference found)
3). Change the pully with the one that has lesser diameter, so that I get higher voltage at low RPMs.(Would this increase wear and tear?)

Also, I am looking for reliable car repair shop in Wakad, Pune. I need to get some other issues sorted. Like clutch adjustment, hard 1st and 2nd gears, a noticable thud after releasing the clutch in any gear. Jerks while cruzing at lower RPM range of any gear, Shuddering sound from front suspension. Power windows not working.

Any good suggestions and pointer would be really helpful.

Thanks in advance.

Re: Alternator upgrade for Esteem typeIII 2006

Wolverine@

I also owns a 2006 Esteem. before checking out Alternator upgrade options, Check out the battry first.could you please tell what is the Age of your car battery and what is your car usuage status?I expect battery is stock specification.
Why i am asking to checkout battery?-I had the same experince of yours. I am using car only on weekends and once even without usuage for 2 weeks my car got started in the first crank itself with the more than 3 years old battery and after running the car for more than 20 kms with ac and stereo, in a traffic block car engine got off and it was not starting. We had to push start the car and after 1hour when i checked up the car at Bosch service center, their battery checking tool shown that "Replace the battery" message. But at that time car was starting in the single crank and we even repetadly tried 7/8 times but battery didnt shown any issue. One of the shell was weak on that abttery. I had replaced that battery with a new bosch one at that day and car has no issues till now. I had installed Sub woofer and amp later and sometimes i wont use car for more than 2 weks. But still it has no problem and the charge indicater on the battery still shows green colour. Our fellow TAIan Varun suggested a battery upgarde for my car withour upgarding the alternator for a better performance. You can check out his battery upgrade on his thread.
http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/forums/ownership-reviews/5044-my-modified-maruti-800-a-29.html

Jerks at the lower RPM range is a charecter of this car i guess. My car has this issue still even after replacing the clutch disc. What is your cars total running till now? Did you repleced your clutch disc earlier?I guess it is the time to replace the clutch disc.

Thread Starter #3
Battery is an year old. The dimming is noticable at ifle as I have 130/100w bulbs. To minimize power use I have also replaced all bulbs for turn signals, tail lamps, reverse, number plate and interior lights with led bulbs.
Car's total run is around 88,000 kms. And the clutch has been replaced twice. Last change was at 72,000 kms. This time along with the pressure plate. But the gears are still hard and also the jerk exists. On the contrary my father's zen has done more than 125000 kms and clutch replaced only once after 100000 kms. And still feels smooth no jerks at all and have an very nice and precise gear change feel.

Last edited:
Wolverine, I guess you are draining the battery. Esteem comes with 50 amps alty. You are drawing more than 40 amps with HL and engine, other stuff.

It would be better if you upgrade the alty. Or you can get the alty re-winded and add a thicker gauge wire from +ve battery to alty +ve.

Thread Starter #5
So, any suggestions on which alternator could I upgrade to? I am thinking of swift diesel, but need to know if anyone has tried it already.

Top Bottom